Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times

Advertisements

Of course it can buy you happiness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMaadCity View Post
I can't believe some people actually say this. I must be living on a different planet.

No rich person would ever say this. I imagine it must be the poor folk who tell themselves this. Rich people are living it up, going on holidays, riding horses, living in nice neighborhoods, buying bentleys, buying mansions,.... how can anyone be unhappy with filthy amounts of money? Rich people are less stressed and more cheerful than poor people. This isn't even a debate.

For me I choose money over everything. It'd definitely buy me happiness. Nothing is more important.

Will you choose money over health?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMaadCity View Post
I can't believe some people actually say this. I must be living on a different planet.

No rich person would ever say this. I imagine it must be the poor folk who tell themselves this. Rich people are living it up, going on holidays, riding horses, living in nice neighborhoods, buying bentleys, buying mansions,.... how can anyone be unhappy with filthy amounts of money? Rich people are less stressed and more cheerful than poor people. This isn't even a debate.

For me I choose money over everything. It'd definitely buy me happiness. Nothing is more important.

You are very good at delusions of grandeur and you have no clue how the real world of money/happiness and life really works.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
Some of the happiest people in the world have next to nothing. Money definitely doesn't buy you happiness. It's nice to have, but people who focus their happiness on money and material stuff will never be satisfied. I just want enough money to pay my bills, go out to eat now and then, have a few vacations, and I'll be good.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,013,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Pshaw. As someone who rubs elbows with a lot of rich people, I can tell you that what you wrote is complete and unadulterated baloney.

Money can buy comfort. And it sure is nice to not have to worry about money all the time. It's great to not worry about the car payment, the house note, or the kid's tuition. But on an entirely different level, money does not create a loving marriage, a happy childhood, or friends of substance.

You seem to characterize happiness as the pursuit of things, but things are just the rocks in life that weigh you down. You become a slave to things. You must protect them. That's no way to live.
Pretty much nails it but I would add a few things. Anyone who thinks all money gets you is things is doing it wrong and it can fix a lot of things that broke cant. I do recognize that no amount of money can fix stupid but thats really about it. Money is a tool that when properly used gives you more opportunities at everything in life and that includes love. When I read this thread what I get out of it is a lot of people here are broke and making excuses for why its better to be so and I don't buy it.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Interesting perspective. I know many unhappy rich people. Money can't save you from marital problems, rebellious children, poor health, treacherous friends, accidents, crime, business problems ...
Money can't save you from those things but it can make it much easier to deal with them.

Poor health? Money can't cure cancer or diabetes but it can get you quality healthcare to detect problems earlier and treat them better. Money can buy you security systems and safer cars.

Money can't make a bad marriage work (it can buy counseling though). But it can pay the alimony and child support without having to eat cat food. How many rich people are in jail because they lost their job and can't pay the child support? How many people remain in unhappy and even abusive marriages because they don't have the resources to leave?

Most importantly, money can buy you leisure time. You won't have to work two dead end jobs you hate to pay the rent. If you work 70 hours per week it's by your choice. Less time at work is more time to spend with your kids and spouse and friends. Financial freedom means you can choose the lesser paying (non-paying) job you enjoy over the higher paying job you hate.

Money can't make an unhappy person happy but it can remove the obstacles to happiness. It's hard to be happy if you have health problems that you can't afford to get treated, have to work long hours at jobs you hate, and have to live in a location you despise.

The people claiming to have money and that it doesn't make them happier, please back up the talk by sending me your money. You will be just as happy, right? And I'll get the chance to test the theory.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Money can't save you from those things but it can make it much easier to deal with them.

Poor health? Money can't cure cancer or diabetes but it can get you quality healthcare to detect problems earlier and treat them better. Money can buy you security systems and safer cars.

Money can't make a bad marriage work (it can buy counseling though). But it can pay the alimony and child support without having to eat cat food. How many rich people are in jail because they lost their job and can't pay the child support? How many people remain in unhappy and even abusive marriages because they don't have the resources to leave?

Most importantly, money can buy you leisure time. You won't have to work two dead end jobs you hate to pay the rent. If you work 70 hours per week it's by your choice. Less time at work is more time to spend with your kids and spouse and friends. Financial freedom means you can choose the lesser paying (non-paying) job you enjoy over the higher paying job you hate.

Money can't make an unhappy person happy but it can remove the obstacles to happiness. It's hard to be happy if you have health problems that you can't afford to get treated, have to work long hours at jobs you hate, and have to live in a location you despise.

The people claiming to have money and that it doesn't make them happier, please back up the talk by sending me your money. You will be just as happy, right? And I'll get the chance to test the theory.
The OP is talking about RICH people - you're describing something that any frugal person with reasonable intelligence and a middle-class income can achieve. I still maintain that money, once your basic needs have been met, cannot buy you happiness in most cases. I've spent all of my life with a mix of people from various socioeconomic backgrounds, and I have to say that the rich are epically good at effing up their own happiness. Happiest guy I've ever known? An middle-aged unemployed construction worker who used to be my neighbor. He was just getting by, but he had his woman (who was just as lovely a human being as he was) and he had reasonably good health and a good boat that fit in the back of his pickup.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM

31,081 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestyn View Post
There have been some studies that show money will make you happier up to around a household income of $75,000. After that basic level has been attained, additional money doesn't really increase your happiness.

It does make sense to me that having enough money to feel secure and comfortable reduces stress and worry, so it can improve happiness up to a point. After that you have to make your own happiness.

How Much Money Do You Really Need To Be Happy? - Forbes
Good find.

This is my take:

Lack of money:
#1 reason people get divorced
#1,actually, the only reason people are on welfare
#1 reason for starvation
#1 reason why you are stuck in a terrible house
#1 reason you go to a poor quality school
#1 reason you have to get your girlfriend to pay when you go out

I grew up poor and worked hard to get where I'm at. Envious broke people love to use the term "Money isn't everything" to justify where they are at in life.

Money > Poverty any day of the week

Old 02-21-2013, 05:42 PM

630 posts, read 1,049,277 times
Money can't buy happiness but poverty can't buy ****

Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 PM

322 posts, read 429,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Good find.

This is my take:

Lack of money:
#1 reason people get divorced
#1,actually, the only reason people are on welfare
#1 reason for starvation
#1 reason why you are stuck in a terrible house
#1 reason you go to a poor quality school
#1 reason you have to get your girlfriend to pay when you go out

I grew up poor and worked hard to get where I'm at. Envious broke people love to use the term "Money isn't everything" to justify where they are at in life.

Money > Poverty any day of the week
Bravo! I've been on both sides of the fence as well. Money can't buy everything but poverty definitely sucks!

If I had twice the income that I have now, guess where it would go. Can't have enough money now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships