Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,828,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Why not ask yourself if it would be better to be rich with someone you love or poor with someone you love?
Because that COMPLETELY misses the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
have been poor and have been affluent.
for those that say money dont buy happiness----
when u got money 80% of your problems vaporize.
when u got money every place is mardi gras.
try being happy broke and on the streets

Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,828,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
It would depend on what I have to do to maintain that wealth, and how poor we'd be on the other end of the spectrum. I'm used to being dirt poor and all alone, so either would be an improvement. Unless by "dirt poor" you mean "homeless and may starve to death next week".
You are missing the point of the question. It is designed to help you figure out which is ultimately more important to you, and what would ultimately make you happier: piles of money or true love.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:56 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,013,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Because that COMPLETELY misses the point.
Wrong, it strikes to the heart of the matter. Saying that money will not make some people happy is true. Love will also not make some people happy. Some people will find a way to not be happy no matter how good their fortune might be in any of their endeavors. None of that speaks to the question though which is can or cannot money buy happiness? That answer is yes and can be no other.

Lets take Chow. He says he is happy and I have no reason to doubt him. Lets consider it further. He also says that his combined household income is adequate to provide the things he needs. What if it wasn't? Would more money now make him happy? Of course it would. Lets not even change his income. Everything is as he describes but he also hates his job. If that raise he just got lets him retire sooner has money just made him happy? You bet it has. What if his old lady has an affair and they end up splitting up? Now he is going to be out there looking for love. That income of his is going to provide him with more opportunities to meet potential mates, its going to increase his chance of finding a higher quality mate, its going to improve his chances of successfully getting dates because despite the protestations of people here money is not considered a bad thing in the dating market. Can money make him happier in that situation? It sure can. The fact that he can still screw things up on his own hook doesn't change the fact that money was there doing its part to make his life better.

Still its only a tool. If you fail to take advantage of a tool thats on you. If you misuse a tool say for instance hitting yourself in the face with a shovel its not the shovels fault, its yours. If you're too lazy to pick up a tool and use it, saying that it is no good doesn't make it so. The fact is money can buy happiness because many things that can be bought can make you happy. It can buy happiness because many of the things that hurt you can be fixed with it. It can buy happiness because it allows you to do things and have experiences that you couldn't do or have without it. Money can buy happiness. Saying anything else is a lie.

So yes, why not ask yourself why you think love even has anything to do with money or money love. We are designed to fall in love and most everyone will despite having or not having money. Money is not a factor in love. Saying would you rather be in love with a poor man versus a rich man is silly. One in no way precludes the other and that couple in love will always have more opportunities to find happiness with money than without.

I'm left with nothing to add here so I'll leave the last word to those that want it.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:00 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,607,414 times
Money cannot buy happiness, which is the OP concept in this thread. I completely agree with it, but am also not surprised how people living in this society cant understand it. Greedy, materialistic slaves to the almigthy dolar, doesnt sound like happiness, it sounds like slavery. Free yourself fools.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:06 PM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
have been poor and have been affluent.
for those that say money dont buy happiness----
when u got money 80% of your problems vaporize.
when u got money every place is mardi gras.
try being happy broke and on the streets
Again no one is arguing that money doesn't solve a lot of problems, but that is no the same as saying you will be magically happy if you have money. I don't know how the argument became being rich or dirt poor, anyway, since there's tons of ground between those two extremes. If money bought happiness there wouldn't be a waiting list of rich people waiting to get into the Betty Ford Center.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:36 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMaadCity View Post
I can't believe some people actually say this. I must be living on a different planet.

No rich person would ever say this. I imagine it must be the poor folk who tell themselves this. Rich people are living it up, going on holidays, riding horses, living in nice neighborhoods, buying bentleys, buying mansions,.... how can anyone be unhappy with filthy amounts of money? Rich people are less stressed and more cheerful than poor people. This isn't even a debate.

For me I choose money over everything. It'd definitely buy me happiness. Nothing is more important.
Not to mention you don't see the "unhappy" rich people giving their money away to become poor & "happy."
I do feel the saying is a way for those who believe it rationalize for not doing any better. However I wouldn't choose money above everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Coming from a family with money, I can tell you, all it bought me was a f*cked up childhood a lot of pain and some seriously bad relationships with my immediate family. It never made my life less stressful, it made all of us more miserable than it was worth. Same thing goes for many of the wealthy families that lived in our gated community when I was growing up. Drug issues, suicide the list goes on.
Just like stupidity, dysfunction does not discriminate.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:39 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again no one is arguing that money doesn't solve a lot of problems, but that is no the same as saying you will be magically happy if you have money. I don't know how the argument became being rich or dirt poor, anyway, since there's tons of ground between those two extremes. If money bought happiness there wouldn't be a waiting list of rich people waiting to get into the Betty Ford Center.
Poor people can only afford what the medical plan or government assistance will pay.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:38 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well if you want to argue, the question wasn't will money buy happiness but can money buy happiness. Just as a college degree can get you a decent job but you can't say it will get you a decent job, money can buy people happiness if they use it right.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Money cannot buy happiness, which is the OP concept in this thread. I completely agree with it, but am also not surprised how people living in this society cant understand it. Greedy, materialistic slaves to the almigthy dolar, doesnt sound like happiness, it sounds like slavery. Free yourself fools.

Having money equates to options like in health care and education. It's not always about materialism.

I know we (my husband and I) are a lot happier when things are going well financially.

No, money can not buy happiness, but your life is what you make of it and having money can make it a hell of lot easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships