Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
You are missing the point of the question. It is designed to help you figure out which is ultimately more important to you, and what would ultimately make you happier: piles of money or true love.
But the question can't be as simple as "money or love". I can't simply say, "love is more important to me than money, no matter what." I'd like to be able to say that, but since living in this world, and especially this country, is utterly dependent on having money, it can't be that simple for me. Love would be nice to have, even if financially poor, but it won't pay the rent or buy food. Not having to ever worry about money would be great, but not if it means working 90 hours per week at a completely miserable job (unless one could easily retire after a few months of it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 08:39 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Money cannot buy happiness, which is the OP concept in this thread. I completely agree with it, but am also not surprised how people living in this society cant understand it. Greedy, materialistic slaves to the almigthy dolar, doesnt sound like happiness, it sounds like slavery. Free yourself fools.
It's not necessarily about greed or chasing the almighty dollar screaming "GIMME GIMME!" For some of us it's simply a matter of being able to live comfortably and reasonably, and not having to be concerned about money. I don't need a lot of money to live comfortably. In fact if I were to give a dollar amount to demonstrate what I would consider a comfortable yearly salary, I'd be willing to bet that many on this forum would say, "You call THAT a decent income?!?!" If for some bizarre reason my employer came to me tomorrow and said, "We're giving you a raise. You'll now make $1,200 per hour," I would NOT immediately go buy a new car (I don't even own a car anyway), all the latest electronic gadgets, or expensive clothes. Instead, what I'd do would be to continue working for a year, and then I'd never work again. Or at least, I'd never work a crappy job for someone else again. I'd have enough to live on for the rest of my life as long as I kept living my current lifestyle, although I could finally justify paying for health insurance. I could pursue my interests, none of which are expensive, and I could finally travel once in a while (which I've never had the money to do). And yes, I'd definitely take that life over being dirt poor but in love. The thing is, it wouldn't necessarily be based on the money, but more so on the opportunity to build a career I actually enjoy, instead of working myself half to death for extremely low pay for the rest of my life. But it would be the money which would allow me to do that.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
I agree lamplight. For many it's about much more than greed, but security, health, providing the best for our children/family, etc.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,783,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Money cannot buy happiness, which is the OP concept in this thread. I completely agree with it, but am also not surprised how people living in this society cant understand it. Greedy, materialistic slaves to the almigthy dolar, doesnt sound like happiness, it sounds like slavery. Free yourself fools.
It is slavery. But people don't see that because we have neat little distractions like cell phones and the internet to keep us pacified.
Television has been keeping us in line for decades now by telling us what are normal thoughts for a good slave to have.
And the main message on TV is that money trumps all while love and sex are constantly made to look pathetic and dirty.
In fact, we have been conditioned to believe that it is impossible for love to even exist without money. After all aren't poor people now considered to be less deserving of love? Isn't pretty much everyone looking for a "professional"?
Eventually love will be a luxury only for the rich as the serfs will be way too busy just trying to stay fed. We already see people working harder for less and relationships being strained from this.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
It is slavery. But people don't see that because we have neat little distractions like cell phones and the internet to keep us pacified.
Television has been keeping us in line for decades now by telling us what are normal thoughts for a good slave to have.
And the main message on TV is that money trumps all while love and sex are constantly made to look pathetic and dirty.
In fact, we have been conditioned to believe that it is impossible for love to even exist without money. After all aren't poor people now considered to be less deserving of love? Isn't pretty much everyone looking for a "professional"?
Eventually love will be a luxury only for the rich as the serfs will be way too busy just trying to stay fed. We already see people working harder for less and relationships being strained from this.
The reality is that money is one of the biggest risk factors for divorce. It's not about love per se, but struggling in poverty makes life hard. Anyhow, turn off the boob tube.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM

31,073 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I agree lamplight. For many it's about much more than greed, but security, health, providing the best for our children/family, etc.
True. For most. Then there are those who have less who will view those that have more as 'Greedy' regardless of understanding what they have done to get there.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 AM

582 posts, read 1,119,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I have friends who are stupid rich and friends who are dirt poor. From what I see, the one's who are poor seem to be happier. Family bonds are stronger, they enjoy simple things. The people who are very rich worry about finances ALL THE TIME, worry about keeping up with their rich friends, on and on and on. Oh sure it must be nice to run to Italy for the weekend, but I would rather sit down to a catfish fry with people who genuinely care and don't pretend to because of money.

Exactly ! And I firmly believe that having money doesn’t make you happy; having enough money is what truly makes you happy. When you have enough money to satisfy your wants and needs, everything else is just gravy.

If you really want to be happy, feed your soul and starve your ego .

Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In other words, if you've got enough money then money doesn't matter? When you DON'T make enough money for all that (as the case with millions of people) then come tell us that money doesn't matter.
This. So many posters are saying, "If you've got housing and food covered then everything else is gravy." What if you don't have that stuff covered? Then money, or the lack of it, is HUGE. I have two friends, one's husband was a partner in a law firm, the other's husband was self-employed and she (my friend) was going back to school to get certified to teach so she could contribute to their income and also be home for the kids. Lawyer's-wife says money doesn't make you happy. Struggling self-employed's wife says yes it does. When you worry about money or not having enough money all the time, money is huge. It may not buy happiness, but it buys peace of mind and less stress over everyday bills.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
True. For most. Then there are those who have less who will view those that have more as 'Greedy' regardless of understanding what they have done to get there.
Yes, that is an aspect of the conversation. I think the current and coming generations have to be smart about money. It's not the 80s/90s anymore. We cannot rely on SS/gov for retirement (for US residents) and cost of living surpassed earned income significantly in the past two-three decades. There really isn't a future safety net guarantee for those who manage their lives and money poor right now, but only time will tell.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:53 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,783,649 times
Quote:
The reality is that money is one of the biggest risk factors for divorce. It's not about love per se, but struggling in poverty makes life hard.
The big newsflash is that unless you are part of the 1% life will continue to get harder for you whether you have money or not. That's the plan! You may have money, but you won't have time. Why do you think that "professionals" are having fewer children now?

Quote:
Anyhow, turn off the boob tube.
Sure, I can turn it off but the vast majority of Americans will not turn it off thus it keeps right on influencing people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships