Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 05:22 PM

17,637 posts, read 22,647,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
My parents have always told me that I had the best of both worlds. When they divorced, my mom remarried in to wealth; my dad continued as a blue collar worker. With my mom, I had everything I ever wanted from the toy store or the magazines. My dad couldn't give me the new car or the big tv or sound system in my bedroom, but he gave me the emotional support and stability that I needed to be happy no matter what. If I had lost the car or some other material possession, I would have still been happy because I was shown that money isn't what matters most.

There's a huge difference between wants and needs and I think that's where people get confused.
Your words are the pure truth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 05:24 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,252,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
My parents have always told me that I had the best of both worlds. When they divorced, my mom remarried in to wealth; my dad continued as a blue collar worker. With my mom, I had everything I ever wanted from the toy store or the magazines. My dad couldn't give me the new car or the big tv or sound system in my bedroom, but he gave me the emotional support and stability that I needed to be happy no matter what. If I had lost the car or some other material possession, I would have still been happy because I was shown that money isn't what matters most.

There's a huge difference between wants and needs and I think that's where people get confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Your words are the pure truth...
I agree.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:21 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Here is a perfect example of money not really mattering.

I make enough money so that the bills are covered, we aren't in debt and we live a decent lifestyle, very average nothing over-the-top.

I was just talking with Mrs. Chow and I told her that recently got a call from my supervisor telling me that I got a raise.

He told me the percentage, but to be honest, I don't even know what that works out to in terms of hourly pay.... I just don't pay attention like you used to when you were 20 yrs old..

The point I'm making is that is really doesn't matter... once you get to a certain level and have a certain lifestyle, the numbers don't really matter all that much.... you know...???

Old 02-23-2013, 06:31 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMaadCity View Post
I can't believe some people actually say this. I must be living on a different planet.

No rich person would ever say this. I imagine it must be the poor folk who tell themselves this. Rich people are living it up, going on holidays, riding horses, living in nice neighborhoods, buying bentleys, buying mansions,.... how can anyone be unhappy with filthy amounts of money? Rich people are less stressed and more cheerful than poor people. This isn't even a debate.

For me I choose money over everything. It'd definitely buy me happiness. Nothing is more important.
Money may be nice (relatively speaking and all things considered), but a real, true love, such as the kind to a potential soul mate, is even better

I'll take love over money any day!

(ETA: FWIW, I have been on both sides of the fence financially, all the way from starting out in life quite poor economically, to upper-middle class through building myself up through hard work, effort, sacrifice, and self-discipline.)

Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,828,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMaadCity View Post
I can't believe some people actually say this. I must be living on a different planet.

No rich person would ever say this. I imagine it must be the poor folk who tell themselves this. Rich people are living it up, going on holidays, riding horses, living in nice neighborhoods, buying bentleys, buying mansions,.... how can anyone be unhappy with filthy amounts of money? Rich people are less stressed and more cheerful than poor people. This isn't even a debate.

For me I choose money over everything. It'd definitely buy me happiness. Nothing is more important.
Ask yourself this question: would you rather be unbelievably rich and all alone, or dirt poor with someone you love? Answer that question with absolute honesty from your heart. I, for one, would MUCH rather live in a tent under a bridge with the love of my life, than in an expensive house with money to buy whatever I wanted yet be all alone. Richness doesn't always imply monetary wealth, ya know.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Ask yourself this question: would you rather be unbelievably rich and all alone, or dirt poor with someone you love? Answer that question with absolute honesty from your heart. I, for one, would MUCH rather live in a tent under a bridge with the love of my life, than in an expensive house with money to buy whatever I wanted yet be all alone. Richness doesn't always imply monetary wealth, ya know.
Loneliness is very lonely.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:04 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,828,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Loneliness is very lonely.
Indeed it is.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:37 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,013,003 times
Why not ask yourself if it would be better to be rich with someone you love or poor with someone you love? That is the real question since people with a good income are not just as likely to find love, they are more likely to since they have more opportunities. Or why not ask if it would be a better idea to go get a decent job and move your family out from under the bridge you have been living under or just keep saying something you don't have is no good and your better off under the bridge instead of actually doing something about it.

Never heard such bullschit. Money is good, just because some idiot that would screw up a wet dream managed not to improve their lives with it does not mean that people with functioning brains can't put it to good use.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 AM

Just want to clarify that I meant being filthy rich isn't going to solve life's problems and make you happy. No one wants to be poor and starving their whole existence, but you don't need much to be happy, as long as you have food, shelter, etc., taken care of. The stress and worry of poverty can take its toll, obviously.

In my experience, when people talk about money buying happiness, it usually refers to having tons of it (winning the lottery, etc.) and not having to worry about a single thing. I know quite a few people (some family members included) who have had more than enough money to satisfy their needs (not gluttony wants) and it didn't really turn out all that great in the happiness department.

EDIT: Example - One family-member-in-law explained to us that, if she won the lottery, she would buy several million-dollar homes. I asked her why did she need all those homes. There was no real reason other than that she could, so she would. It's basically showing everyone else, Look, I have all these homes! That's the mindset I'm referring to.

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 02-24-2013 at 05:06 AM..

Old 02-24-2013, 05:03 AM

426 posts, read 559,057 times
Financially iam very comfortable and if u took all my money i would probably be able to recoup what u took but if u took the love of my family away i would be a broken man with no plan no direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships