Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 01:49 PM

588 posts, read 957,687 times

Advertisements

Money can't buy happiness. There are many depressed, rich people and tons of poor, happy ones.
That being said, I think (for me personally), having enough money to pay for the basics [food, shelter] would make me less stressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 05:34 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,018,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Money matters up to a point, namely providing for the basics: Having a decent home, health insurance, groceries, clothes, and reliable transportation without feeling stressed about paying the bills. Not to mention putting a little aside into savings for a rainy day.

That's about it. Beyond that, if you think a lot more money will make you happy, then you are putting all your trust in the wrong things. If you think the shiny new car, the boat, the 6,000 sf home, the trip to Hawaii, or whatever else is going to make the difference between being happy and not being happy, then you have an impoverished soul. There's just no two ways about it.

And I say this as someone who once didn't have two nickels to rub together. On our first anniversary, my wife and I had to scrape together five bucks to buy a six pack of Natural Lite and sneak it into a baseball game to which we had won free tickets. To this day, I cannot even look at a can of Natural Lite in the grocery store. But MrsCPG and I loved each other, just as we do today. I have had plenty of ups and downs in my life, but one thing has remained constant. I've always known she's had my back, and she's always known I've had hers.

This thread reminds me of two different people in my life. The first is a former friend of my wife's. She was always complaining about everything. How hard it was to make ends meet. Her house. Her four kids. But, over time, her husband began making excellent money as a freelance photographer. So the day came when they were set to move to the big house in the suburbs. Amy went on and on about how her life was going to be so great once they moved.

Two weeks later, we were all together after their move. I asked Amy how she liked the new house. I got a litany of complaints about how one bedroom wasn't big enough, how she didn't like one of her neighbors, how hard it was to get out of her subdivision onto a busy road, blah blah blahbity blah. To which I replied, "You know, Amy, if you and Edward won the lottery and you could live anywhere you wanted and live in any home you wanted, you still wouldn't be happy." Yes, it was a rare moment of tactlessness on my part. Usually I'm better than that. Annoyed, she told her husband what I said. He just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Well, he's right." Their marriage lasted about two more years after that. He just couldn't take living with such a boat anchor anymore.

Another person I knew in my professional life killed himself a few months ago. He was a guy who had it all. Beautiful, intelligent, loving wife. Wonderful kids. Family money. A life filled with fun and activity. But because a few investments went south, his business was in trouble. So he walked into his office one Saturday, wrote out a letter to his wife, called the police, and shot himself. Worst funeral I have ever attended. It was searing.

Mind you, even if the guy had to declare bankruptcy, he still would have had friends, an education, professional standing, and a loving wife and family. But he simply could not handle not having tons of money at his beck and call, which means he ignored the most important things in life.
Maybe money doesn't make you happy but it could make someone else happy.
People have different priorities.
Just because money may not make you happy doesn't mean it won't make someone else happy.

Money allieviates finacial burdens and stress which is extremly important but not mandatory to a fulfilling life.
Thats is objective.
What is subjective is the person who has the money mental state and personality.
If he/she is just a scrooge then of course he/she is going to be miserable.
I provided 2 real life examples my aunts husband who makes a million a year and my former boss who makes 20 - 30 million a year
My former boss knows how to utilize his money to enhance his life he doesnt rely on it while my aunts husband is just a complete stiff with a miserable marriage.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:43 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMaadCity View Post
I can't believe some people actually say this. I must be living on a different planet.

No rich person would ever say this. I imagine it must be the poor folk who tell themselves this. Rich people are living it up, going on holidays, riding horses, living in nice neighborhoods, buying bentleys, buying mansions,.... how can anyone be unhappy with filthy amounts of money? Rich people are less stressed and more cheerful than poor people. This isn't even a debate.

For me I choose money over everything. It'd definitely buy me happiness. Nothing is more important.
Your username = Album of the Year last year.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:37 PM

141 posts, read 504,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Who cares anyways? If they are happy picking up garbage, making cheesburgers, cleaning toilets and not being able to do anything in life let them.

Some people are content with being mediocre.
Arrogant much?

Sad irony of life is, without "MEDIOCRE" people, the wealthy wouldn't enjoy life nearly as much would they? Think about that one for a while.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
Arrogant much?

Sad irony of life is, without "MEDIOCRE" people, the wealthy wouldn't enjoy life nearly as much would they? Think about that one for a while.
I agree.
Society would not function if we did not have people to do those frowned upon jobs. I absolutely agree.

Thats why mediocre people do them and thats why they are mediocre jobs. Some people are content with being sub par, thats all I' saying.

They know themselves that their lives are sub par and they accept it.

I only make 30, 000 a year and I'm trying to reach the pinnacle of my career as a fast as possible because I made a personal choice not to be at the bottom of the totem pole in our society.

Alot of people do the opposite. Alot of people would be satisfied with the salary I'm making now..of 600$ a week and they question why I work so hard to move up.

Most of the time when people say money doesn't buy happiness its because they use that statement to mask their laziness. Most poor people are just flat out lazy and negative.

They bring each other down to make themselves feel better about their failures in life.

They are looking for handouts, and they try to take advantage of other people in order to further themselves instead of working hard to accomplish great things.

Ever hear of crabs in a barrel?
My family is compromised of rich/upper middle class and my moms generation worked their butts off for that lifestyle.

Their is a big difference between having affordable healthcare vs being on the verge of rolling vover, driving a nice car, eat out when you want and not have to worry about the light bill turning off or fighting off mice/cockroaches. Relaxing on a nice couch with a nice t.v. Living in a safe neighborhood. etc . etc....

No one wants to be poor or low class.
Money can't buy happiness
It has officially been proven that rich people live loner lives then their lower class counterparts.
Theres not to many rich people I know who pay the lottery.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
Quote:
Alot of people would be satisfied with the salary I'm making now..of 600$ a week and they question why I work so hard to move up.
Yeah, I'd be perfectly happy making $30,000 a year...IF it was a job I actually liked. I've made that much in the past, but it was just another miserable job. Hell, I'd be content making $20,000 a year if I enjoyed my work, as long as I could pay my bills.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Yeah, I'd be perfectly happy making $30,000 a year...IF it was a job I actually liked. I've made that much in the past, but it was just another miserable job. Hell, I'd be content making $20,000 a year if I enjoyed my work, as long as I could pay my bills.
Its fine if your content with that.
I will shoot myself is this is the maximum amount of money I will ever make.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,386 times
Quote:
I agree.
Society would not function if we did not have people to do those frowned upon jobs. I absolutely agree.

Thats why mediocre people do them and thats why they are mediocre jobs. Some people are content with being sub par, thats all I' saying.

They know themselves that their lives are sub par and they accept it.

I only make 30, 000 a year and I'm trying to reach the pinnacle of my career as a fast as possible because I made a personal choice not to be at the bottom of the totem pole in our society.

Alot of people do the opposite. Alot of people would be satisfied with the salary I'm making now..of 600$ a week and they question why I work so hard to move up.

Most of the time when people say money doesn't buy happiness its because they use that statement to mask their laziness. Most poor people are just flat out lazy and negative.

They bring each other down to make themselves feel better about their failures in life.

They are looking for handouts, and they try to take advantage of other people in order to further themselves instead of working hard to accomplish great things.

Ever hear of crabs in a barrel?
My family is compromised of rich/upper middle class and my moms generation worked their butts off for that lifestyle.

Their is a big difference between having affordable healthcare vs being on the verge of rolling vover, driving a nice car, eat out when you want and not have to worry about the light bill turning off or fighting off mice/cockroaches. Relaxing on a nice couch with a nice t.v. Living in a safe neighborhood. etc . etc....

No one wants to be poor or low class.
Money can't buy happiness
It has officially been proven that rich people live loner lives then their lower class counterparts.
Theres not to many rich people I know who pay the lottery.
I haven't seen so much ignorance and pomposity in a post in a long time. You are upper middle class\rich so you have no clue about what being poor or middle class is like. So until you do keep your ignorant opinions to yourself. Now ride your high horse out of here junior.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:42 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
Quote:
Its fine if your content with that.
I will shoot myself is this is the maximum amount of money I will ever make.
For me it's not the amount of money (assuming I can get by easily enough), it's what I have to do to earn that money (or more). I'd rather make $25,000 per year doing something I love than $150,000 doing something I hate.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,697,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
For me it's not the amount of money (assuming I can get by easily enough), it's what I have to do to earn that money (or more). I'd rather make $25,000 per year doing something I love than $150,000 doing something I hate.
Really. You're a better person than I. Give me the $150k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships