Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:30 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times

Advertisements

About 99% of the stress in my life is due to not having enough money. I have to take whatever physically brutal, low-paying jobs I can get in order to simply survive, which leaves me far too exhausted and with too little time to pursue any other possible career on my own. And not being able to pursue that career is the cause of the other 1% of stress in my life. I could try to pursue that career without another job, and...be homeless, I guess? I'd love to live in a world where I could simply do the work I'm good at in order to keep a roof over my head and feed myself, but unfortunately this isn't that world. So yes, to some degree I think money can at least make it easier for one to be happy, even if the money cannot literally buy happiness.

For example, I'd be glad to work a stressful, back-breaking job if it paid me $500,000 a year. I could quit after one year and then work hard at establishing the career I really want, independently, while not having to worry about money for a decade or so. But the reality is that I have to take what jobs I can get, and those jobs are always... stressful, back-breaking, and pay just barely enough to get by as long as I'm really frugal. I don't need to be wealthy, but just once it would be nice to not have the worry of money always present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
About 99% of the stress in my life is due to not having enough money. I have to take whatever physically brutal, low-paying jobs I can get in order to simply survive, which leaves me far too exhausted and with too little time to pursue any other possible career on my own. And not being able to pursue that career is the cause of the other 1% of stress in my life. I could try to pursue that career without another job, and...be homeless, I guess? I'd love to live in a world where I could simply do the work I'm good at in order to keep a roof over my head and feed myself, but unfortunately this isn't that world. So yes, to some degree I think money can at least make it easier for one to be happy, even if the money cannot literally buy happiness.

For example, I'd be glad to work a stressful, back-breaking job if it paid me $500,000 a year. I could quit after one year and then work hard at establishing the career I really want, independently, while not having to worry about money for a decade or so. But the reality is that I have to take what jobs I can get, and those jobs are always... stressful, back-breaking, and pay just barely enough to get by as long as I'm really frugal. I don't need to be wealthy, but just once it would be nice to not have the worry of money always present.
I'm surprised you're not making any money with your photography. You're definitely talented.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 PM

223 posts, read 207,948 times
So so true.

I have been diagnosed with severe depression, but last week I asked my doctor "is it still severe depression when I cheer up when I've got money?"

He could not answer this philosophical conundrum.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Money can't save you from those things but it can make it much easier to deal with them.

Poor health? Money can't cure cancer or diabetes but it can get you quality healthcare to detect problems earlier and treat them better. Money can buy you security systems and safer cars.

Money can't make a bad marriage work (it can buy counseling though). But it can pay the alimony and child support without having to eat cat food. How many rich people are in jail because they lost their job and can't pay the child support? How many people remain in unhappy and even abusive marriages because they don't have the resources to leave?

Most importantly, money can buy you leisure time. You won't have to work two dead end jobs you hate to pay the rent. If you work 70 hours per week it's by your choice. Less time at work is more time to spend with your kids and spouse and friends. Financial freedom means you can choose the lesser paying (non-paying) job you enjoy over the higher paying job you hate.

Money can't make an unhappy person happy but it can remove the obstacles to happiness. It's hard to be happy if you have health problems that you can't afford to get treated, have to work long hours at jobs you hate, and have to live in a location you despise.

The people claiming to have money and that it doesn't make them happier, please back up the talk by sending me your money. You will be just as happy, right? And I'll get the chance to test the theory.
Agree with this whole post

Sure, rich aren't immune to illnesses and accidents and family problems - but neither are poor people, and they tend to be at a higher risk and in a worse position to deal with them. And if you look at statistics, things like poor health, abusive families, substance abuse, etc. are all much much more common among the poor and the working class - due to a number of factors like poor living conditions, stress, lack of education, etc. Yes, there are some rich who are miserable too, but in a lot of cases these are people who have either been brought up as spoiled rich kids who were never denied anything, or it's greedy people who relentlessly pursue money and hence put extra stress on themselves to get more and more. Neither of these is a requirement of being rich. If you're a mentally healthy, reasonably happy person, you're much more likely to be happier rich than poor.

There's a Russian jokey saying, "it's better to be rich and healthy than poor and ill"

Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMaadCity View Post
I can't believe some people actually say this. I must be living on a different planet.

No rich person would ever say this.
Yes they would and do you know what? I'm going to demonstrate it..... "Money can't buy you happiness", there you go.

Money is a facilitator, not a one step solution to the qualms of life.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Yes they would and do you know what? I'm going to demonstrate it..... "Money can't buy you happiness", there you go.

Money is a facilitator, not a one step solution to the qualms of life.
I agree with this. Saying not having money (being in financial trouble) makes you unhappy is not the same as saying having money will make you happy. If you're an unhappy person in general, once the initial euphoria of, say, hitting the lottery, wears off, you'll go back to being unhappy. There are numerous studies which back this up.

There have also been studies done that followed people over time who described themselves as happy or unhappy. The "happy" people were still happy years later even after experiencing traumatic events (such as losing a limb), while the unhappy people were still unhappy even after having good things happen to them. It's the old saying "where ever you go, there you are". Happiness is a mindset, and getting something externally is not going to change your basic personality/outlook.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:27 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm surprised you're not making any money with your photography. You're definitely talented.
Thank you! Unfortunately everyone wants to be a photographer so the market's completely saturated, and many of them are a LOT better than I am! What I really want to be is an illustrator.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:14 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,607,414 times
Oddly enough, I cant tell from first hand experience if Ive met more happy people who were wealthy or more happy people who were poor. Sure being able to pay your bills and afford the things that ou want is great, but I dont think there is much correlation between wealth and true happiness. I grew up in Eastern block communism and have traveled quite a bit, so I dont consider not being able to buy the newest iphone or laptop as poverty. Ive been in places where feeding yourself and you family and putting a roof over your head, despite real effort, was extremely difficult if not impossible.

I remember going to some poorer areas in central america, and meeting a family of 7 who was squatting in a 100 sq ft loft that belonged to someone else. THe place was completely obscure and the food they ate for dinner was the cheapest stuff you can find, but they were happieer than any family I have met living in the US. I get that being raised in this society, you are taught to think of the mighty dollar as a god, but it isnt the case for most of the world. Wealthy are not immune to sickness, mental disorders and most of all, they have a hard time appreciating anything they have.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I have to take whatever physically brutal, low-paying jobs I can get in order to simply survive, which leaves me far too exhausted and with too little time to pursue any other possible career on my own. And not being able to pursue that career is the cause of the other 1% of stress in my life. I could try to pursue that career without another job, and...be homeless, I guess?
Do you not qualify for financial aid?? I lived on just over $1000/month supplied by my financial aid and easy part time job for the 6 years it took me to finish my degree. I ended up having about $30,000 in student loan debt, but at least I now have a middle class income from a good job that doesn't leave me painfully sore at the end of every day.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 AM

31,073 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Oddly enough, I cant tell from first hand experience if Ive met more happy people who were wealthy or more happy people who were poor. Sure being able to pay your bills and afford the things that ou want is great, but I dont think there is much correlation between wealth and true happiness. I grew up in Eastern block communism and have traveled quite a bit, so I dont consider not being able to buy the newest iphone or laptop as poverty. Ive been in places where feeding yourself and you family and putting a roof over your head, despite real effort, was extremely difficult if not impossible.

I remember going to some poorer areas in central america, and meeting a family of 7 who was squatting in a 100 sq ft loft that belonged to someone else. THe place was completely obscure and the food they ate for dinner was the cheapest stuff you can find, but they were happieer than any family I have met living in the US. I get that being raised in this society, you are taught to think of the mighty dollar as a god, but it isnt the case for most of the world. Wealthy are not immune to sickness, mental disorders and most of all, they have a hard time appreciating anything they have.
"ate for dinner was the cheapest stuff you can find, but they were happieer than any family I have met living in the US."

And they would be so happy when they lose family members to poor health care and a bad diet. Not being able to meet the basic needs of your children would be incredibly stressfull. But, they don't know any better and their neighbor is in the same boat or worse so they are happy for what they have.

"Wealthy are not immune to sickness, mental disorders and most of all, they have a hard time appreciating anything they have."
The wealthy may not be immune but at least they can afford good food and the best health care. I would have to agree not all would appreciate what they have if they didn't work for it, but those who did work for it probably have much greater appreciation of what they have.

"I get that being raised in this society, you are taught to think of the mighty dollar as a god,"
I don't look at the almighty dollar as being god but it does reflect on your ability to provide for yourself and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships