Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:15 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And?

My family is also blue collar. I’m one of the few to earn a degree and professional position. My folks did not pay for my education, did not support my endeavors or attend my graduation.
My family is good, honest, decent, hardworking people and I have the upmost respect for them. Paying for college or being involved in your college experience is not a parent’s obligation. Not doing so does not make a family dysfunctional.
But pushing your child to forgo a "life better than what I have/had" isn't exactly a typical parental attitude. Furthermore, working to make your child feel bad because he/she wanted an education because, well, he/she wanted to do something else with his/her life is downright cruel. I can see how the OP would have a dim view of her family/parents, even if it doesn't directly affect him.

--Dim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 02:16 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
The OP mentions nothing about the "content of their character" as MLK would say. I find that lower socioeconomic class doesn't and shouldn't translate into "low class" Stand back, get some perspective, and as others have said, deal with it. Unless you wanna be divorced or live in an unhappy marriage.

Just because someone doesn't make references to Nietzsche while sitting at the dinner table, doesn't automatically qualify them as stupid.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM

32 posts, read 59,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And?

My family is also blue collar. I’m one of the few to earn a degree and professional position. My folks did not pay for my education, did not support my endeavors or attend my graduation.
My family is good, honest, decent, hardworking people and I have the upmost respect for them. Paying for college or being involved in your college experience is not a parent’s obligation. Not doing so does not make a family dysfunctional.
I would not have respect for any parent who did not emotionally support and show interest in their child's education.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:25 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
OP, now that you have written more, I notice you anger fairly boils off the page. Is that a problem you have in general, in life? Do you get angry a lot, and dump it on people around you? Or is this issue uniquely enraging?

Again, counseling. I rarely suggest it in this forum, but I think it is what will make you happy. Unless you are just looking for an excuse to dump your wife or cheat.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:27 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
i get along with just about every "type"
i don't place expectations on anyone to be any way with me, there is no conflict to be had

intent is what matters, not behavior.

you both adults, its time to stop living in the past and holding grudges for things that cant be redone or changed

Old 05-14-2013, 02:30 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
How in the world is this turning your marriage upside down? Plenty of people do not like their in-laws, it's a problem as old as time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,782 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but there's seriously wrong without offering ANY help or emotional support for such a basic part of life. Regardless of what you say you're parents are indeed lacking in some part of their personality/life.

Quote:
OP, now that you have written more, I notice you anger fairly boils off the page. Is that a problem you have in general, in life? Do you get angry a lot, and dump it on people around you? Or is this issue uniquely enraging?

Again, counseling. I rarely suggest it in this forum, but I think it is what will make you happy. Unless you are just looking for an excuse to dump your wife or cheat.
There is literally nothing in the pages of this thread that even remotely comes close to that. Where are you getting that? Alls he's said is he doesn't like his inlaws and thinks lower class people are less intelligent in various weays.

It seems like lobbing accusations of being an angry person is the only real answer half the people here have to give.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:01 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socially Inept View Post
In my OPINION if you take a random group of white collar professionals, who make good money and had a college education, and compare them with working class poor people who have very little education, you will find vast differences between their social and intellectual skills. Yes, there are some people who make good money, work in high status jobs and are highly educated who are terrible mothers and fathers and lack any social skills. But in general, IN MY OPINION, the higher the person's income and education and employment status the more likely they will be good conversationalists, great people to be around and are more committed parents and brothers and sisters. Part of success is learning to be social and your behavior and personality has a higher impact on success, so these skills are more enhanced in many middle class or higher people.

On the other hand, I find a large number of poor, working class people have weak social and emotional intelligence and lack middle class sensitivities towards each other.

But what I was getting at is there is a culture class between the working poor and someone who came from my background. And the mentality of my wife's family still hurts her today.
It's much easier to be functional when something as simple as your car breaking down isn't going to result in financial catastrophe, job loss or god knows what else. It's much easier to be functional when you have the cushion of cash to keep life running smoothly. Sure, some people are poor because they're not very bright or because they don't have the necessary social/academic/professional skills to get ahead. And some people are poor because of bad luck. My favorite ex easily had a genius-level IQ, but was raised by a drug addict with undiagnosed bipolar disorder - he will never be anything more than a very well-read forklift driver and mechanic because of his upbringing, and while I hope he manages to find a functional relationship, I'm not optimistic. Yet, I have another friend whose wealthy "Old Southern Money" parents almost enabled her death because of their callous treatment of her bulimia (after having driven her to developing the disease with their bizarrely demanding social expectations). White-collar families may be a little less dyfunctional, but the also have less reason for dysfunction. It's also hidden a little better - take a closer look at your friends and family. You'll find it there, where you hadn't seen it before, I have no doubt. It's just been normalized to you.

But while working-class manners may be a little more coarse and the verb conjugation can be dismal, there's no excuse for abusive treatment. Your issues seem to be shifting. NOw you're claiming you're upset on your wife's behalf because of their behavior toward her, but initially your problem was with lack of intellectual curiosity and verbal skills. What is really the problem in your eyes? Because you're not articulating yourself very well.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
How in the world is this turning your marriage upside down? Plenty of people do not like their in-laws, it's a problem as old as time.
Exactly. I'm not sure how this affects the marriage. I mean, if it was fine before he met the family, how is meeting the family driving it off the rails???

Old 05-14-2013, 05:14 PM

426 posts, read 558,902 times
Mine are from the hills of North Carolina and so down to earth- everything about them helps me understand how and why my wife does things that may irritate me. In fact iam closer to them than my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships