Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:30 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Because you are dealing with a higher % of women in the higher socio economic class. Many who have better diets and take care of their bodies. Other public domains such as the supermarket, you see a greater % of low socio economic people.
It does vary greatly from airport to airport and location to location though.

Also many attractive girls/women are into traveling. Its the same if you go mountain hiking or sking/snowboarding your chances of seeing attractive girls/women increases significantly than many other public domains.
Pretty much this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 01:05 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,724,335 times
I fly with some frequency, passing through O'Hare, Dulles and the like perhaps 10-20 times annually; so they're hardly "novelties". And yet I definitely notice that people are more attractive in airports. This is even true in provincial airports, such as the one serving the area where I reside. I have not noticed travelers in one airport being more attractive than in another; mainly my point is about airport clientele, vs. the world at large.

As others have said, there is no politically correct way to render this. But there is an apparent correlation between wealth and physical appearance. For instance, I've noticed that people in the Star Alliance lounges in airports are, well, more attractive than in the main waiting-area. Maybe it's the biases of my perception. Maybe it's their clothing, their poise.

Along similar lines, I find that people in the heart of urban downtown are more attractive than in the periphery. This applies especially to the major American cities, but is also true in Europe. People on trains (subway, metro, etc.) in the city-center tend to be more attractive, and as the train snakes further out into the periphery, the collective level of beauty thins out.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:12 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,603,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
As others have said, there is no politically correct way to render this. But there is an apparent correlation between wealth and physical appearance. For instance, I've noticed that people in the Star Alliance lounges in airports are, well, more attractive than in the main waiting-area. Maybe it's the biases of my perception. Maybe it's their clothing, their poise.
It's the aforementioned things about people having the money to better take care of bodies, skin, hair, teeth, (and yes, clothing, makeup, etc.), the thing about attractive people making more money, and the thing about wealthy people marrying attractive people, which leads to wealthy, attractive offspring.

You just don't want to be so wealthy that you get into circles of inbreeding. At that level people get ugly again.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:02 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,770 times
If you are a yuppie, just own it. I make fun of them all the time knowing full well and admitting to myself I'm one too.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:18 PM

332 posts, read 868,714 times
I know a lot of women can put on their best clothing to travel. Our mothers can tell us to look our best when we are traveling so we always try to look hot as we can. So no it's not a psych effect women just want to look more attractive at an airport because either they are going to see someone after a long time and want to look their best at first meeting again or just want to compete agains the other airport beauties lol it's silly i know. The most beautiful woman I ever saw was a well dressed woman traveling to Bogota in an airport. I also notice that the further from the USA you travel on foreign planes the more attractive the stewardesses become. I have seen models in venezuela and brazil and peru working as stewardesses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
But when I come back home they disappear?

It doesn't matter what state, MN, MA, CA, IL, CO...
Is it some sort of psychological effect, or do my standards change, or what?

Old 06-14-2013, 03:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
But when I come back home they disappear?

It doesn't matter what state, MN, MA, CA, IL, CO...
Is it some sort of psychological effect, or do my standards change, or what?

hypothesis: the typical person at the airport (departing or arriving) is considerably more affluent and considerably better-employed than the typical local resident of (any place not occupied primarily by the airport types). So on average I expect someone at the airport to be very well dressed and more attractive than average.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:04 PM

332 posts, read 868,714 times
I don't think a person needs to be affluent to look beautiful or handsome. Fact is,, the airport is filled with people from all over the place and all nationalities so you will see more beautiful people from europe, latin america, and other countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
hypothesis: the typical person at the airport (departing or arriving) is considerably more affluent and considerably better-employed than the typical local resident of (any place not occupied primarily by the airport types). So on average I expect someone at the airport to be very well dressed and more attractive than average.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:14 PM

840 posts, read 1,147,980 times
I do not notice the difference much here or oversea. Most likely the majority of the people who are traveling for leisure are people who could afford to spend more money on primping.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:36 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
I know when I travel, I dress better, usually have my hair done, nails, so, maybe these are the same women you see a the grocery store, in sweatpants and pony tails, all cleaned up.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:06 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I fly with some frequency, passing through O'Hare, Dulles and the like perhaps 10-20 times annually; so they're hardly "novelties". And yet I definitely notice that people are more attractive in airports. This is even true in provincial airports, such as the one serving the area where I reside. I have not noticed travelers in one airport being more attractive than in another; mainly my point is about airport clientele, vs. the world at large.

As others have said, there is no politically correct way to render this. But there is an apparent correlation between wealth and physical appearance. .
I must be flying on the wrong airlines. I mostly fly Southwest, and I'm not seeing any wealth, tasteful or stylish dressing, or attractive people. It's average all the way, and often sloppy. Is there a high-end airline where all the attractive and well-dressed people go? My impression is that airports are no different from the train or Greyhound, seriously, folks! Unless you're talking transatlantic or trans-Pacific flights.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-14-2013 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships