Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 05:10 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,739,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I fly with some frequency, passing through O'Hare, Dulles and the like perhaps 10-20 times annually; so they're hardly "novelties". And yet I definitely notice that people are more attractive in airports. This is even true in provincial airports, such as the one serving the area where I reside. I have not noticed travelers in one airport being more attractive than in another; mainly my point is about airport clientele, vs. the world at large.

As others have said, there is no politically correct way to render this. But there is an apparent correlation between wealth and physical appearance. For instance, I've noticed that people in the Star Alliance lounges in airports are, well, more attractive than in the main waiting-area. Maybe it's the biases of my perception. Maybe it's their clothing, their poise.

Along similar lines, I find that people in the heart of urban downtown are more attractive than in the periphery. This applies especially to the major American cities, but is also true in Europe. People on trains (subway, metro, etc.) in the city-center tend to be more attractive, and as the train snakes further out into the periphery, the collective level of beauty thins out.
I agree with a lot of with what you said. I believe people (especially business travelers) tend to be better dressed. Many traveling business people are in some way consultants who are typically making a better than average salary. The constant moving between place to place every week helps to keep one fit, in addition having good looks help in developing rapport with clients. I think being in an airport just exposes you to different types of people in a single setting. The airport is probably the best place on earth for the sport of people watching. The flight attendants aren't usually too bad either, especially on the higher priced airlines.

On a side note, the Atlanta-Hartsfield International Airport does fairly well in the looks department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 05:28 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john360 View Post
But that's the thing you're not good looking so it doesn't matter.
You don't know what I look like, but thanks for the insult. I'm pretty sure I'm a reasonably attractive person.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I must be flying on the wrong airlines. I mostly fry Southwest, and I'm not seeing any wealth, tasteful or stylish dressing, or attractive people. It's average all the way, and often sloppy. Is there a high-end airline where all the attractive and well-dressed people go? My impression is that airports are no different from the train or Greyhound, seriously, folks! Unless you're talking transatlantic or trans-Pacific flights.

I think you're closer to the truth. Pretty people don't always make pretty children. Bruce Willis and Demi Moore's kids aren't ugly but they definitely don't look nearly as good as their mother.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:52 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
I think you're closer to the truth. Pretty people don't always make pretty children. Bruce Willis and Demi Moore's kids aren't ugly but they definitely don't look nearly as good as their mother.
Mr. Willis isn't "pretty"

Old 06-14-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Mr. Willis isn't "pretty"
He's attractive.

Point being... attractive people don't always produce particularly attractive children.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:25 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
He's attractive.

Point being... attractive people don't always produce particularly attractive children.
That's because the way a man can look attractive can be completely different to the way a woman look attractive. When you mix and match that, results can be unattractive on the wrong gender.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think when people travel, they try to look their best. Many people are on their way to business conventions, meeting up with new people, meeting a romantic interest, going home and wanting to show they've done well, etc., etc.
That's probably part of it.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
That's because the way a man can look attractive can be completely different to the way a woman look attractive. When you mix and match that, results can be unattractive on the wrong gender.
So why do people assume that "pretty" people all make pretty babies. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they make some interesting combinations. Of course, my kids are beautiful and only a complete idiot would think otherwise. True story, no bias here.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:52 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
It's already been mentioned but, yeah, flying is expensive and generally reserved for the more affluent. They tend to be more attractive for a variety of sociological reasons.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It's already been mentioned but, yeah, flying is expensive and generally reserved for the more affluent. They tend to be more attractive for a variety of sociological reasons.
I can see the argument for better dressed, better dental care and that sort of thing. But the pretty babies thing, I can't agree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships