Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:56 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post

A lady friend of mine creates a profile on OKcupid, within minutes she's messaged twice, has had 30 visits on her first night on the site, within' the first 3 days she goes on dates with a few different men while receiving probably close to 100 messages over the course of a week.
What about NWGirl, who never got any hits on her profile, nor any responses to her messages or winks? And she's attractive, per her photo she posted here once. What does your friend look like? Are you comparing yourself with an average-ish woman, or to an 8 or above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 01:03 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What about NWGirl, who never got any hits on her profile, nor any responses to her messages or winks? And she's attractive, per her photo she posted here once. What does your friend look like? Are you comparing yourself with an average-ish woman, or to an 8 or above?
Not trying to put words in her mouth or anything, but I thought she made a post about joining some dating site and receiving a bunch of messages at first. I might be wrong on that and she would have to correct me if I am wrong.

I can't explain why she doesn't receive any messages at all after the initial barrage(assuming it did happen), but it might just be the area she lives in, because I do think she's attractive too(even though she can't drink! )

The woman I compared to was nowhere close to an 8 IMO, she's probably average by definition.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I mean there's no mass of messages or any sort of numbers that match up to what OP believes, that we just sit there picking and choosing from all these men who are constantly writing. It just doesn't happen that way.
I think people also think quality is the same as quantity. I did receive a few messages here and there when I did OLD (though, definitely not anywhere near the 'hundreds daily' purported here) but 99% of them were rash, rude, sexual in nature or just said 'hi' or 'hey'. I VERY RARELY received a message that I would reply to simply because most of the men doing OLD are just looking for hookups and the messages reflected that.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
They've done experiments on this. Even very attractive men don't get much action compared to what an attractive woman does, so don't beat yourself up too much over it. Online dating is like a singles bar - way heavy on guys all vying for the attention of the pretty ones.

I play on "fish" for fun mostly...for the entertainment factor that Snorebook and Tweeter can never match. Most of the time I get no response if i write something to somebody, even if it's a good opener. But I like to sit back and see who comes along and shows interest too. Results? Not much. Zero bangs and 1 ph#/happy hour invite that don't think I will follow up on.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:44 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
All I meant was that this is how it works minus online dating. Women get approached more often than men get approached.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:47 PM

947 posts, read 1,186,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Yup, hasn't helped women at all. not at all.
Ah...

Quote:
A lady friend of mine creates a profile on OKcupid, within minutes she's messaged twice, has had 30 visits on her first night on the site, within' the first 3 days she goes on dates with a few different men while receiving probably close to 100 messages over the course of a week.
She's going out with, you know, men..

Old 08-04-2013, 01:50 PM

947 posts, read 1,186,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
All I meant was that this is how it works minus online dating. Women get approached more often than men get approached.
It's far easier to send a message online than it is to walk up and speak directly to a stranger you like, as well.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:58 PM

220 posts, read 363,800 times
I've met many women through online dating and it would be accurate to say that they have an inflated sense of ego. A girl who is a 6 gets treated like a 9 all day because of hundreds of desperate and lonely men who are willing to settle for some quick sex. Most women confuse the attention as actual interest, which it is not, and then wonder in disappointment when the guy splits after the first lay.

This isn't the rule, mind you. Just what I've seen.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:27 PM

14 posts, read 15,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
It's far easier to send a message online than it is to walk up and speak directly to a stranger you like, as well.
Touché !

Old 08-04-2013, 02:44 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
No women don't have more choices, nor are most of the men on these sites good men. Yes I would get hundreds of messages but when you take out the "you're hot" or the other ones looking for sex, or the men who ignored what I desired and contacted me the number goes low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships