Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:36 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Peters View Post
May I ask how old you are? Many women my age (early 20s, mid 20s) I feel definitely do it for an ego boost.
I am 51 now, 48 when I met my bf, and when I tried online the first time I was in my mid-30's. I realize younger girls have more choices but still believe EVERY girl wants to be in love. You have no idea how much it sucks to be the one in your group that doesn't have a bf, you're going to your friend's weddings, you see them get engaged...adult girls/women want to be in couples, even young ones, and IMO the guys who believe it's an ego boost just don't get that they weren't that girls' type for whatever reason.

Same thing with the belief that girls date for free dinners....any girl on online dating, when she goes on the first date, is hoping against hope that you are "The One". if it doesn't work out, rather than saying she just wasn't the one meant for them, many guys go right to "She just wanted those shrimp!" but it is not true in the vast majority of cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:08 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,794,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
OKC? I have a male friend who lives there, early 40s, he has no problem whatsoever dating. And he's 5'3"!! My friend dates women from late 20s to mid 40s and he cleans up. Maybe it's an age thing? How old are you? (He has an average job making average money so that isn't it.)
I'm 44, and I have an above average job making way above average money. I'm told I'm good looking and am 6'0" and in shape. Maybe his standards are low. I want a family, so I'm looking for women 30-40, preferably without kids. Well, not gonna happen here, thats for sure. I don't believe you we\hen you say he dates women in their 20's.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:33 PM

89 posts, read 131,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is a huge myth, IMO. I say this as a woman who did online dating for several years until I met my bf. First off, those hundreds of messages are temporary, it's the "New Meat" phenomenon, when you first post a profile you get innundated, but even of 100 messages, 50 will be too far away, 20 will overtly ask for sex in the first message, 10 will be wildly inappopriate in terms of age (too young or too old) 5 will be married or in a relationship, and of the 15 left, 10 will disappear somewhere in the e-mail stage, 3 will ask to call you then disappear when you give them your number, and 2 will become actual dates.

After the initial rush, we get no more messages than men do.

I have never known one single woman on online dating for an ego boost. Every woman on there wants to be in love with the right guy. Easy to blame women for your failures, harder to examine yourself.

After the inititial
How can that be? Men are still the ones who initiate the vast majority of all messages, so naturally women still get more messages than men even after the initial rush.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:37 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
I think women have it easier, if they are just looking for random sex, otherwise, to find a true mate, I think they have the same problems as guys.

The online thing seems like it probably has benefited women more, IDK, not dating online and I'm not a woman, but it would seem like it would be easier for guys to "approach" so they would probably mass contact women and as others have said, probably increases their chances to a certain degree, as in just pure numbers, you might hook more...

IDK... again just a thought.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:44 PM

89 posts, read 131,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I am 51 now, 48 when I met my bf, and when I tried online the first time I was in my mid-30's. I realize younger girls have more choices but still believe EVERY girl wants to be in love. You have no idea how much it sucks to be the one in your group that doesn't have a bf, you're going to your friend's weddings, you see them get engaged...adult girls/women want to be in couples, even young ones, and IMO the guys who believe it's an ego boost just don't get that they weren't that girls' type for whatever reason.

Same thing with the belief that girls date for free dinners....any girl on online dating, when she goes on the first date, is hoping against hope that you are "The One". if it doesn't work out, rather than saying she just wasn't the one meant for them, many guys go right to "She just wanted those shrimp!" but it is not true in the vast majority of cases.
Do they want to be in love or do they want to be loved? There's a big difference.

There's a saying women usually make "It's better to marry a man who loves you more than you love him"

So I don't think most women actually care about being in love. They want a man to love them.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:49 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
Online dating has definitely benefited women much more, I don't think anyone can convince me otherwise.

Hell, I've seen an example with my own two eyes. I've had an OKcupid profile for probably almost a year now, and I'm never, ever messaged, but I have sent some messages out and have had 0 replies. I can also count the number of visits on my profile on one finger still.

A lady friend of mine creates a profile on OKcupid, within minutes she's messaged twice, has had 30 visits on her first night on the site, within' the first 3 days she goes on dates with a few different men while receiving probably close to 100 messages over the course of a week.

Yup, hasn't helped women at all. not at all.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:50 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I'm 44, and I have an above average job making way above average money. I'm told I'm good looking and am 6'0" and in shape. Maybe his standards are low. I want a family, so I'm looking for women 30-40, preferably without kids. Well, not gonna happen here, thats for sure. I don't believe you we\hen you say he dates women in their 20's.
Let me wager a guess - you will not date overweight women. Oklahoma rate of overweight to obese is about 2/3 and I would guess that if you just isolate women it is at 70%. Am I right? (My friend's girlfriends are always hefty.)

Old 08-04-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwithknifes View Post
How can that be? Men are still the ones who initiate the vast majority of all messages, so naturally women still get more messages than men even after the initial rush.
I mean there's no mass of messages or any sort of numbers that match up to what OP believes, that we just sit there picking and choosing from all these men who are constantly writing. It just doesn't happen that way.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think women have it easier, if they are just looking for random sex, otherwise, to find a true mate, I think they have the same problems as guys.

The online thing seems like it probably has benefited women more, IDK, not dating online and I'm not a woman, but it would seem like it would be easier for guys to "approach" so they would probably mass contact women and as others have said, probably increases their chances to a certain degree, as in just pure numbers, you might hook more...

IDK... again just a thought.
Exactly!

Old 08-04-2013, 12:53 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Peters View Post
Girls have the ability to literally pick and choose.
Inflated egos.
Sense of importance and value.

100 messages from guys on PoF. Most who are good fellas, yet those well thought up first messages go unread.
Tinder... a girl will match every guy she swipes right for.

10-15 years ago, girls would not have this false sense of celebrity. Guys are the ones that pick and choose. The one with the biggest balls will go up to a girl, and she will be nervous and flattered.

Girls would hope for attention, they would hope for a guy to compliment them or say hi, or ask them out.

--- now they get it left and right, and if they want to boost their ego they'll make an account on any of the PoF type sites or dating apps.

Long gone are the days of that shy girl. Girls feeling like sht make a post on Facebook, 5 girlfriends come to comfort, and 30 white knights, and boom, they go from feeling like sht, to feeling they are the sht.

Don't mean to sound whiny, just kinda stating how it is. Finding a girl through any of these mediums is pretty difficult unless you are pretty attractive/lucky. I consider myself fairly attractive and I've barely had any luck.

Seems like your best bet is to have a good social circle and get a gf through there.
The way you believe it is, is only how it is for online dating. In real life, the bolded passages are how it still is. Stick with real-life dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships