Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 07:46 PM

639 posts, read 377,494 times

Advertisements

I'd be squeamish about marrying someone that's been divorced only once. We could have our fun, but no commitment or legal bound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 10:16 PM

61 posts, read 42,649 times
There r people divorced once , then start to date a lot, never commit since then......

Old 01-16-2018, 10:20 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,411,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post

Now, I believe in marriage. Think about it like this. Would you rather date a guy that has never been married, only dated? .
Yes. I'd rather date a guy who has never married, than one that has been married 4 times or more.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:31 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,486,508 times
So OP, did your friend marry the guy?

Old 01-17-2018, 02:30 AM

934 posts, read 404,630 times
Is there a name for it? Serial matrimonist?
I'd be cool with it only if I were one. Since I'm not, no way. Wouldn't even date a guy. Can't help it, old school and take these things seriously.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:29 AM

314 posts, read 440,719 times
He has a hobby, it is collecting ex wives. Does she want to be #5?

Quote:
Why bother getting married except for tax benefits and estate planning and raising kids?
I totally agree.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:41 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,643,659 times
Too much baggage for most people...

Old 01-17-2018, 01:52 PM

88,694 posts, read 85,065,285 times
I have a friend who is on marriage No. 4, and this one has lasted. The first was her crazy hs boyfriend, and they were divorced before they were 23. Then she lived with a man for 14 years, they got married, and two months later he died of a massive heart attack. Within a year she met someone and became pregnant, and since she was in her late 30s, she figured this was her only chance to have a child, and they got married. He was controlling and a heavy drinker, though, so she eventually divorced him. (He died a few years later when she was already married to the last one.

Her sister's husband introduced her to one of his friends and BAM. This marriage has last almost 15 years, and this man was more of a father to her son than his natural father. She seems happy, has the lovely home she always wanted, and they seem to love each other still.

You never know.

Then there was my friend's sister, who found out that her husband and the father of her son had never been married before, but he did have six other children with six different women...

That marriage ended when one of her neighbors knocked on the door and told her she was pregnant and that her husband was the father.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 514 times
I've been married too many times (7 to be exact). I can tell you that I am embarrassed by it. But I can tell you the reasons why and why I don't want to do it again. I always marry needy people with issues that I think I can fix and THEY think I can fix. 3 times I married people with substance abuse problems (alcohol). That is narcissism kind of. I have been cheated on twice and did that twice as well as retaliation. That is on me. I own a small business and it consumes a lot of my time which has caused problems in the past. Communication is a huge issue for me. Both parties need to be on the same page and frequently aren't. That causes problems. There are different issues for each marriage but we miss a couple of things as we get older with relationships. The more times we get divorced, the easier it is to do. My first two marriages I worked MUCH harder to keep it going, to the point of dealing with their affairs and protecting them regardless of their bad behavior. We also, eventually, refuse to be a doormat for anybody. We also aren't willing to take as much verbal abuse. I have always given more than I have received but apparently that hasn't been enough. I am romantic at heart and believe there is a right person out there, but with my track record, it is obvious that I'm not good at selecting who that is. If I was going to marry me, I would want spend a lot of time with me, before signing on that dotted line. I want to be with someone, but the possibility exists that in my exuberance and past neediness, I may have run out of chances to have a good marriage.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:51 PM

1,201 posts, read 807,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
A close friend of my wife is in her late 40s and has fallen in love with a recently divorced man. We met them for lunch and they seem very much in love by how they communicate with each other. After 9 months there is talk about marriage. I would say go for it because they seem compatible and seem like a couple but then I found out he had been married and divorced four times. He must be able to charm the women but can't stay with them.

What do you think of men or women who have been married and divorced multiple times? How many divorces would raise a red flag? 2, 3, 4, 5, or more?

I am sure each of his ex wives thought their relationship would be different! But the ending was the same. But maybe my wife's friend, #5 will be the exception.
Let me think about that..NO! Not only NO, but HELL NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships