Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 03:12 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,334,826 times

Advertisements

4 divorces is a red flag for me. So, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 04:30 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,839,069 times
I'd love to hear the explanations for the four marriages and divorces, but it would be for entertainment purposes only.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,348 times
Default Just Divorced a Drunk

I just divorced a man who had been married three times before me. We lasted 17 years under the same roof. It was my first marriage. I was 44 at the time, and thought we would last forever. But his drinking and alcoholism ruined our marriage. He had deep-seated issues he never dealt with. Our communication broke down, and he never wanted to get help for his drinking problem because according to him, "he" didn't have a problem, "I did". It's always that way with an alcoholic who refuses help. If you are dating a man that drinks, run away as fast as you can. If you don't, you're guaranteed a lifetime of misery. Yes, he seemed like a very nice and good person at first. But I learned through the years how sneaky he could be, and he turned out to be very psychologically and emotionally abusive as well. He knew exactly what I was divorcing him for, but did he care? Of course not. Booze is the number one love of his life.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:38 AM

52,417 posts, read 52,930,537 times
4 time loser???

LOL..... I don't know....

Old 06-28-2015, 02:07 AM

358 posts, read 229,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
A close friend of my wife is in her late 40s and has fallen in love with a recently divorced man. We met them for lunch and they seem very much in love by how they communicate with each other. After 9 months there is talk about marriage. I would say go for it because they seem compatible and seem like a couple but then I found out he had been married and divorced four times. He must be able to charm the women but can't stay with them.

What do you think of men or women who have been married and divorced multiple times? How many divorces would raise a red flag? 2, 3, 4, 5, or more?

I am sure each of his ex wives thought their relationship would be different! But the ending was the same. But maybe my wife's friend, #5 will be the exception.
HELL NO. lol

2 would be a deal breaker.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:12 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,072,082 times
Well let's be rational about it.

HOW did the previous 4 marriages end? Were any of the prior wives suprizing deaths under unnatural circumstances? Sizeable life insurance policies? Enquiring minds want to know.

Was one of the marriages just so somebody could get their citizenship/greencard?

Marriages and divorces are (mostly) public events, if someone was motivated, it wouldn't be too hard to discover licenses (dates) and court documents (judgements and support orders), without the knowledge or consent of the man in question. You might even go so far as to interview the ex wives, or hire someone else to.

It seems a 4-time divorcee would be under crushing cumulative alimony and child support judgements. Jus' Sayin.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:29 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,872,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth25 View Post
I just divorced a man who had been married three times before me. We lasted 17 years under the same roof. It was my first marriage. I was 44 at the time, and thought we would last forever. But his drinking and alcoholism ruined our marriage. He had deep-seated issues he never dealt with. Our communication broke down, and he never wanted to get help for his drinking problem because according to him, "he" didn't have a problem, "I did". It's always that way with an alcoholic who refuses help. If you are dating a man that drinks, run away as fast as you can. If you don't, you're guaranteed a lifetime of misery. Yes, he seemed like a very nice and good person at first. But I learned through the years how sneaky he could be, and he turned out to be very psychologically and emotionally abusive as well. He knew exactly what I was divorcing him for, but did he care? Of course not. Booze is the number one love of his life.
Thank goodness you got away. Leaving him is the best thing you could have done. But, with all due respect, didn't you have serious doubts about a man who'd been divorced 3 times? By the age of 44? If you don't mind my asking, how did he explain the 3 divorces?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:35 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,992,794 times
Depends on the situation. ...maybe all the ladies cheated on him?

Old 06-28-2015, 02:45 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,266,041 times
I would treat such a person as a Good Time.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:02 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,366,849 times
I was serious about someone who had been divorced twice. He kept telling me he had been waiting for me all his life. Then, after I moved in with him, his interest was not so much on me, he was mesmerized by younger attractive women and he was old enough to be their father. He was not gazing at me longingly anymore. He was at them, and right in front of me, as if he was in a trance. This hurt me so much. I told him, look all you like, but please have enough respect for me to just not do it so much right in front of me. He couldn't stop. I eventually forced myself not to look in his direction hardly at all when we were out in public to spare myself hurt feelings. I couldn't go with the man anywhere. I now know that he probably cannot help himself. I won't be wife #3 though. That is someone else's "dream".

(Interestingly enough, my Mom said after meeting him for the first time and knowing none of the above, told me...."He is not in love with you. He thinks he can get any woman he wants." She said this after being around him just for a little while. She is amazing!) Sorry if I got a bit off topic. I will say that I have been married one time, and have no desire to ever marry again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships