Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 10:48 AM

15,787 posts, read 9,625,728 times

Advertisements

With all the red flags, you could make a quilt! How is his finances? Is he paying alimony? How many kids does he have? From how many of the marriages? Does he see his kids? Are the kids young enough that one has custody? With that many wives, he could have custody of kids every weekend. How many kids does the OP's friend have? How many times has she been divorced? So many things to think about not even mentioned in this thread yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 11:09 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,817,348 times
Repeated divorces is a red flag to me, in terms of stability. I guess it would depend on if a person is looking for stability or not, when determining whether this is importantl.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,455,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
No, somebody who's been married and divorced four time clearly has issues.

Everyone has issues.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
In my opinion, marriage is extremely important, if you want a long-term, committed relationship. It's far too easy to just walk out the door if you aren't married.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I would think 4 prior marriages is a big red flag for someone thinking of commitment.
Why commit (by marriage)? If you don't want to be with someone after awhile, it won't make any difference if you had commuted anyway. Why force (by committing) someone to be with someone?

But as others had mentioned, the insurance, estate planning, tax implications are good reasons. Even raising children doesn't require the "state" of marriage.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 AM

52,446 posts, read 52,990,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
In my opinion, marriage is extremely important, if you want a long-term, committed relationship. It's far too easy to just walk out the door if you aren't married. I believe that people will actually work harder to address issues when they come up, in a marriage. Not a always true of course, but I think it applies in most cases. Divorce is complex and often painful....and no one gets married expecting to get divorced. We get married because we want to be together permanently....even though that isn't always the end result. Also, getting married sort of proclaims to the world that "Hey I love this person and I want to spend my life with them...so much that I am willing to put it down right here on paper!". That may not mean much to you, but it means an awful lot to many others.

Even though I personally have no desire to marry again, I am a huge believer in it, and if you want to have children, I think it's even more important.
I generally agree with your views, unfortunately we live in a throw away society and that includes a 50 percent divorce rate, so apparently it's just as easy to leave, whether you are married or not.... the numbers don't lie....

Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I generally agree with your views, unfortunately we live in a throw away society and that includes a 50 percent divorce rate, so apparently it's just as easy to leave, whether you are married or not.... the numbers don't lie....
Life is too short to be unhappily married.

A low divorce rate isn't a noble metric. A high marriage satisfaction rate is a noble metric.

Maybe MORE people ought to be divorced to increase the marriage satisfaction rate.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:42 AM

706 posts, read 1,209,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
A close friend of my wife is in her late 40s and has fallen in love with a recently divorced man. We met them for lunch and they seem very much in love by how they communicate with each other. After 9 months there is talk about marriage. I would say go for it because they seem compatible and seem like a couple but then I found out he had been married and divorced four times. He must be able to charm the women but can't stay with them.

What do you think of men or women who have been married and divorced multiple times? How many divorces would raise a red flag? 2, 3, 4, 5, or more?

I am sure each of his ex wives thought their relationship would be different! But the ending was the same. But maybe my wife's friend, #5 will be the exception.

Your friend needs to be VERY careful. I know someone EXTREMELY verbally abusive. He has never been married because all the women leave him. He's a narcoses. He thinks all these women are crazy, tells everyone how horrible they are. His own family can't stand him and thinks he's nuts. The thing is he lays the charm on thick and hooks them in and then they see him for who he his.

Not saying this the case, sounds like it. If he's been taken to court by exGFs not just ex wives, enough said he's crazy.

For me married twice and divorced twice would be a concern.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,241,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Why commit (by marriage)? If you don't want to be with someone after awhile, it won't make any difference if you had commuted anyway. Why force (by committing) someone to be with someone?
For us, it has nothing to do with force. It is a declaration of mutual commitment. If ever he no longer desires that mutual commitment, he will get a completely amicable divorce from me.

Quote:
But as others had mentioned, the insurance, estate planning, tax implications are good reasons. Even raising children doesn't require the "state" of marriage.
I would not say govt marriage is a requirement at all. Once upon a time, some smaht guy somewhere observed that married people tended to be more stable and thus more successful at raising children. So a bunch of tax benefits were created to encourage people to get or stay married. Never dreaming that the people who tended to stay married were themselves the stable force. Not the state sanctioned marriage certificate.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
A close friend of my wife is in her late 40s and has fallen in love with a recently divorced man.

Is he rich? Make sure she doesn't sign a pre-nup, then roll the dice.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:51 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,241,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Life is too short to be unhappily married.

A low divorce rate isn't a noble metric. A high marriage satisfaction rate is a noble metric.

Maybe MORE people ought to be divorced to increase the marriage satisfaction rate.

Bingo! Must be the front row! But I would say a lot of people should not get married in the first place. They think true love conquers all. But it takes skill, dedication and maturity to make a marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships