Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 02:51 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,580,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Interesting questions and here are the answers from what I know:

He is a millionaire and a high level executive of a Fortune 500 Company
He has no kids under 18 and two kids over 21
The friend of my wife who is thinking about marriage with this guy (Mr. Divorce) has two adult kids
She (the lady who may marry the man who keeps divorcing women) lost her only husband to cancer five years ago, never divorced.

Both my wife and I when we were talking on the way home from meeting Mr. Divorce were shocked that he had been divorced so many times. He was so nice, charming, handsome and down to earth. Just by meeting him without knowing his history you would think he was just wonderful.
This may be a reason for all the divorces. In order to get to that level, he may be more married to his job than he was to all of his exes. It would lead me to wonder if they got tired of being alone all the time and/or had affairs in his absence.

The question becomes, is he still married to his job or is he now willing to give a relationship the time it deserves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 06:50 PM

37,777 posts, read 46,273,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I generally agree with your views, unfortunately we live in a throw away society and that includes a 50 percent divorce rate, so apparently it's just as easy to leave, whether you are married or not.... the numbers don't lie....
Yes, but there is not a comparable figure for relationships that end, so there is no way to compare the rates.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Maybe .000001% of the time.
I was being facetious.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Why commit (by marriage)? If you don't want to be with someone after awhile, it won't make any difference if you had commuted anyway. Why force (by committing) someone to be with someone?
Jaysus. Why buy a car or a house? Just rent everything. No one is being "forced" to commit. People that choose to, value their relationship over everything else. Clearly, you don't. So you don't want to get married? Fine. You don't have to. But it's absurd to think that everyone else thinks as you do.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:54 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,375,828 times
I wouldn't care if I really clicked with someone. Might be a long engagement, though.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:01 PM

48,639 posts, read 35,125,318 times
If marriage (a lasting one) was important to me I would have a very long engagement, like 3 years.

I would need a lot of discussion on why his marriages failed and what has changed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,018,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
A close friend of my wife is in her late 40s and has fallen in love with a recently divorced man. We met them for lunch and they seem very much in love by how they communicate with each other. After 9 months there is talk about marriage. I would say go for it because they seem compatible and seem like a couple but then I found out he had been married and divorced four times. He must be able to charm the women but can't stay with them.

What do you think of men or women who have been married and divorced multiple times? How many divorces would raise a red flag? 2, 3, 4, 5, or more?

I am sure each of his ex wives thought their relationship would be different! But the ending was the same. But maybe my wife's friend, #5 will be the exception.
More than two and I would be worried...

Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 PM

48,639 posts, read 35,125,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
More than two and I would be worried...
Heck, I FREAKED when I found out my (now) husband had been divorced twice.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-30-2013, 05:58 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,774,855 times
Quote:
Everyone has issues.
But not everyone advertises them so well. If you've churned through four marriages, there's really an increasing likelihood that the problematic common element is you...whether you're just a failure at committed relationships, or have a continued pattern of choosing really, really poorly, or whatever other reason, four divorces isn't exactly a fluke.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,774,855 times
Quote:
Why force (by committing) someone to be with someone?
How is it force if it's a choice?

People who don't want to get married don't HAVE to. They choose to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships