Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 04:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,240,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I always hear this from women on here talking about the looks of their friends s/o..why do women tell their friends if they think their partners ugly? my god thats classless if i said that to my male friends about their wife i get punched in the face..

Do most women just have no filter?
I had broken up with my ex-fiance already. One of my college roommates told me that I was too hot for the guys I was dating - but it didn't bother me. Those are the only two times I recall any of my friends saying negative things about the looks of guys I was dating. But nobody has ever said anything negative about my husband. Most of my friends and I don't have the same taste in men - but that doesn't mean that we think their S/O's are ugly - just that we aren't attracted to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 09:22 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Here is an article showing that the readers are talking about a certain celebrity as if he were a piece of man-meat. It's clear that looks indeed are a part of attraction, despite people's preferences for different looks. Here are some interesting user comments:
Of course looks matter. Anyone who says otherwise should try to date someone they think look bad.

When I was in my first relationship I dated a girl who I though was bad looking, because I was desperate. The problem is that you get embarrassed showing her off to your friends and family.

However, that doesn't mean you need to look like Zac Efron. Its important to be decent looking, but after that personality matters more.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:50 PM

29,781 posts, read 34,567,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I had broken up with my ex-fiance already. One of my college roommates told me that I was too hot for the guys I was dating - but it didn't bother me. Those are the only two times I recall any of my friends saying negative things about the looks of guys I was dating. But nobody has ever said anything negative about my husband. Most of my friends and I don't have the same taste in men - but that doesn't mean that we think their S/O's are ugly - just that we aren't attracted to them.
That's how it usually goes. Not many people will criticize a current partner (though I'm sure they all have opinions,) because that's not what friends do. Though when talking about old boyfriends or past relationships someone might say, "oh, I never thought he was good-looking enough for you" or "remember those pants he used to wear? What was he thinking?" or something.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:53 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,264,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I always hear this from women on here talking about the looks of their friends s/o..why do women tell their friends if they think their partners ugly? my god thats classless if i said that to my male friends about their wife i get punched in the face..

Do most women just have no filter?
What? I've never known any women to talk about their friends partners like that.
I don't talk about my friends partners, nor do they mine.

Anyway, of course looks matter on some level. To some people, more than others.
To some people, a persons inside and attitude helps make them look more attractive/uglier.
To others, attractiveness is very important. Others, not as much.
But everyone has things they prefer. Some are willing to compromise, others maybe not as much.
I would think this is a no-brainer.

I'll never forget my first crush. When I first met him, I definitely did not like him. He was NOT attractive in anyway. Later, I made friends with his sister and started spending the night at his house, so he was there. I got to know him and found myself falling for him because of his sense of humor and who he was. It was odd because I was not physically attracted to him at ALL. But, I wanted to be with him though, and after some time I was attracted to him physically. I saw him differently after some time. After knowing him, I saw him in a completely different light.

There was another time, a guy in school was very attractive and I liked him, but I got to know him. He was such a jerk, a horrible person. He said horrible things about people, really selfish and arrogant. It got to the point where I couldn't even look at him. I didn't want to be around him at all, I couldn't stand him. While he still looked exactly the same, I couldn't stand the sight of him. He became so ugly to me.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:58 PM

52,417 posts, read 52,935,398 times
Looks matter to a degree.....let's not be that PC here.....

Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 AM

6,618 posts, read 4,922,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
All this talk about looks. It makes you wonder that if looks matter this much than how is it that all of these "ugly people" and fat people have kids. Something doesn't add up
Yeah, that argument, if it's a serious attempt to debunk the importance of beauty. Makeup, alcohol, post-bonding aging (mainly weight gain), familiarity (especially facial similarity), desperation, greed - it's probably rare for objectively unattractive people to be much physically attracted to each other early on while not under the influence.

Getting back to the original question, most people are conflict-averse and care about reputation, while valuing people for their inner qualities is considered virtuous.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,640,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...63_634x922.jpg

High School Musical star Efron whips off his shirt to man a hot grill in still from new film Neighbors | Mail Online

Here is an article showing that the readers are talking about a certain celebrity as if he were a piece of man-meat. It's clear that looks indeed are a part of attraction, despite people's preferences for different looks. Here are some interesting user comments:
We live in the political correctness era, saying that looks don't matter because the inner beauty is what is important is the politically correct thing to say.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:13 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,615,233 times
OP, who do you know who says looks don't matter? They certainly matter more to some than others, but I don't think there are many who could truly say they don't matter at all.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:17 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,615,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
We live in the political correctness era, saying that looks don't matter because the inner beauty is what is important is the politically correct thing to say.
Oh, well yeah, people do say that. Ever notice that it's usually really outwardly attractive people who say inner beauty is more important? We humans tend to be invisible to our own privilege.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 PM

6,618 posts, read 4,922,573 times
I think people underestimate the power of touch and darkness. Get together when drunk and further on in the relationship turn off the lights and be touchy-feely - the guide to sex for ugly couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships