Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 06:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times

Advertisements

Yeah, some people don't like dating. Lots of people don't. It's a means to an end. I like it myself.

Under any circumstances though I don't want to live in a world without kissing. Kissing a cute woman is one of life's great pleasures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:53 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,816,377 times
Sure there are men who don't date... there have always been men like that. Some are asexual, some are fearful of women, some just have no interest, some like their lives and don't want to change things or complicate it with a relationship, some dedicate their life to something higher than they physical desires. There is nothing wrong with it. Some might argue that some men, by default of nature, have to drop out. For every 100 baby girls born, there are 107 baby boys born. So there are slightly more men than women anyway.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Sure there are men who don't date... there have always been men like that. Some are asexual, some are fearful of women, some just have no interest, some like their lives and don't want to change things or complicate it with a relationship, some dedicate their life to something higher than they physical desires. There is nothing wrong with it. Some might argue that some men, by default of nature, have to drop out. For every 100 baby girls born, there are 107 baby boys born. So there are slightly more men than women anyway.

The incarceration rates and rates of death due to war and violence more than offsets this differential by our 20s.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The incarceration rates and rates of death due to war and violence more than offsets this differential by our 20s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePosterFormerlyKnownAs View Post
Boys/men have higher rates of mortality. So actually, by the time people reach adulthood, there are slightly more women than men.
I used to think that too, but look at table 2 of the 2010 census... more men than women up until about age 30-39 (this is split into two age groups but things are about even then). After that, then there are more women than men. So for most of their early dating/adult lives, there is a shortage of women for men until they get to about 35 where things even out.

This is just my unscientific observation (so take it with a grain of salt) but it would explain why with dating people on this forum claim that women have the "advantage" up until about 35 and men have the "advantage" after that. It would just be numbers. It's not a lot, but it does seem to effect things as it seems (at least to me and in a very general sense) that you have 20-something men complaining about women being picky and not dating them and then you get 40-something women asking where "all the good men are." That's because the numbers are to a disadvantage for men in their 20s and younger and then a disadvantage for women in their 40s and younger.

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-03.pdf

Old 01-09-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I used to think that too, but look at table 2 of the 2010 census... more men than women up until about age 30-39 (this is split into two age groups but things are about even then). After that, then there are more women than men. So for most of their early dating/adult lives, there is a shortage of women for men until they get to about 35 where things even out.

It would explain why with dating people on this forum claim that women have the "advantage" up until about 35 and men have the "advantage" after that. It would just be numbers.

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-03.pdf

The census includes people incarcerated, and there is a HUGE incarcerated population in the U.S. Indeed, that article you posted indicates that in some counties where there is a huge male / female imbalance it is because there are prisons.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Color me corrected.

However, you're just looking at people in the aggregate. If you look at single people, there are far more women than men.

Also, from the census bureau: Of unmarried people over 18, 53.6% are women and 46.4% are men.

Facts for Features: Unmarried and Single Americans Week Sept. 15-21, 2013 - Facts for Features & Special Editions - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau
The unmarried facts are interesting too. Oh well... thought I was on to something

Still think there is nothing wrong with a man who wants to be single/never date though. I just have no data supported reason why now, lol. Guess I will just fall back on my opinion that nothing is wrong with these forever bachelor men.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I just think some guys realize they are not attractive to women

While there may be a handful like this, it is precious few. The reality is (or it seems to me), especially in my 40s now, is that lots of guys gave up. They have (and frankly, some women have as well) grown sideways. There really is no excuse for being fat for 99% of people (thyroid conditions are fairly rare, can be treated with medication, and really only few pounds, it's really just an excuse). If you stay in shape (if you're single there really is no reason you can't get to the gym 5x a week), have a decent job (both things in your control), even with a homely mug, there is someone out there for you. People just give up and complain.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Oh no, I wasn't trying to bash you over the head or anything, and I don't think there's anything wrong with them, either.

I just think some guys realize they are not attractive to women, and they never will be. Despite a lot of the "advice" that gets doled out here, I think a lot of them are correct. After they realize it, men being pretty rational, they chuck the whole business.

Based on the brief description of the 2 guys in the OP, I'd say they fall into said category.
Didn't think my noggin was being bashed... just figured we were having a friendly debate No worries.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:02 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,490,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbornnard View Post
I met a 32 year old man and a 36 year old man who claim they have never been in a relationship and have never even kissed a woman. They said to me "I just don't believe in dating and prefer to stay single. They also said to me "They wanted to live life there and didn't want a woman controlling them and telling them what to do." I'm just like them except I'm 24. Are some men meant to be alone? They seemed to be happy with their situation.
You kind of lost me at "have never even kissed a woman." Men who want no sexual contact with women are pretty rare.

However, there are many, many, MANY men who want to find a way to get their sexual needs met without ever having to make any commitments. That is quite common. In fact, it seems be the norm for most men in their 20s...

Old 01-09-2014, 08:11 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,643,836 times
If you haven't even hooked up with a girl or been in a relationship, how the hell do you guys have ANY idea what it's like? How do you know your woman will end up controlling you?

This is a fear to act and making excuses at its finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships