Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 12:38 PM

255 posts, read 373,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
That's true. But it is also true for every other trait imaginable.
Nope. Height is biological law. All the couples in their 20's that I see on a day to day basis, have men being much taller than the women they're with, and taller than the average height for men in the western world. I only see similar heights in 30-something couples, and by then women are looking for more than a guy who can make her feel 'feminine.'

Old 11-28-2013, 05:17 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
As I said before anyone north of 5'8 or so does not have much of a disadvantage, however each inch under that puts you at a significant disadvantage... I think 5'6 and below is pretty negative for a man!!

Why would a woman choose someone who is 5'6 when there are a ton of taller men to choose from? It's just a matter of supply and demand basically...
A woman would probably pick a nice 5'6" man over a 6' man who is a jerk!

Old 11-28-2013, 05:35 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10th Man Down View Post
Nope. Height is biological law. All the couples in their 20's that I see on a day to day basis, have men being much taller than the women they're with, and taller than the average height for men in the western world. I only see similar heights in 30-something couples, and by then women are looking for more than a guy who can make her feel 'feminine.'
Disagree. My wife is 5'9" and I am 5'5". My wife was attracted to me partly *because* I was shorter than her. She's completely turned off by tall guys. When we started dating, I was 24 and she was 27.

Many women have been conditioned to believe that the guy should be taller, or at least of similar height. These are social preferences, not biological. If they shake off the chains of these social constructs, their lives and the lives of their partners would be so much happier.

You see so many women who make the arbitrary rule that the guy she dates should be taller than her, without any reason to back this up. Some of them then offer the dodgy reason that a tall guy can protect her, but that's just invoking sexist gender roles of the guy as the protector.
Anyone - man or woman - who desires physical protection should invest in a pit bull or Glock, or both.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
I am 6'1" and people are always telling me that I am tall and that's an attractive trait.
Not necessarily. Women like whats in the face mostly.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:08 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,797,744 times
I find tall height attractive for females, since after all, I am pretty tall (about 6 feet and 0 inches tall), and thus, it is nice to have a partner which is closer to my height. Plus, there is more of her if she's tall(er).

Old 11-28-2013, 07:50 PM

170 posts, read 373,396 times
Being relatively tall (but not tooooooo tall) is an attractive trait and being short is an unattractive trait. Yes, that's how it works. It's a law that governs female desire. Everything else being equal, women prefer a guy who is tall (or at least not short) over a guy who is short. The only question is how strong this preference is for a given woman. For some women, a short guy is an automatic turnoff, completely undateable. For other women, a short guy can be overall attractive if he has enough other attractive characteristics to cancel out his unattractive stature.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:52 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,697,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortDoctor View Post
Lol I'm 5'3. I've gotten over it now for the most part.

The Who's Famous Won't Get Fooled Again Legendary Scream!!!! - YouTube

Old 11-28-2013, 09:42 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10th Man Down View Post
I don't think you understand what I was responding to.

A female poster noted that only some women liked especially tall men, not all women. While that is true, it is meaningless. Of course there are some women who don't care about height. But they in the minority.

As for the rest of what you wrote, your personal observations of couples do not amount to a "biological law."

Old 11-28-2013, 10:11 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
OP, You can never ask a question like this and expect an universal answer.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:57 AM

255 posts, read 373,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I don't think you understand what I was responding to.

A female poster noted that only some women liked especially tall men, not all women. While that is true, it is meaningless. Of course there are some women who don't care about height. But they in the minority.

As for the rest of what you wrote, your personal observations of couples do not amount to a "biological law."
You just said that there are some women who don't care about height, that they are in the minority -that's a biological law- and then you said that my personal observations, which has mostly taller than average men starring in it, don't mean much....Most women in their 20's would never date a guy who is shorter/same height as them, even if the woman is taller than average.

Quote:
Disagree. My wife is 5'9" and I am 5'5". My wife was attracted to me partly *because* I was shorter than her. She's completely turned off by tall guys. When we started dating, I was 24 and she was 27.
Yeah, you have a very rare woman there, congratulations. Most women are still not going to take a shorter man seriously, and they're always going to select the tall men if they can get them(can't blame them, women have all of the sexual power, why not use it) and the average height/below average men will get the crumbles.

Last edited by 10th Man Down; 11-29-2013 at 06:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.