Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:00 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times

Advertisements

Interesting, but I am hesitant to make too many broad generalizations applicable to the US or the world in general based on cultural trends in Japan. Japanese culture is very unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 08:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is an interesting article which sounds like a cautionary tale for a lot of people on this forum: Why have young people in Japan stopped having sex? | World news | The Observer
yup. it's coming here, too. FTA:

"Aoyama's first task with most of her clients is encouraging them "to stop apologising for their own physical existence."
^Tell me this doesn't resemble the city-data forum.

"Japanese men have become less career-driven, and less solvent, as lifetime job security has waned. Japanese women have become more independent and ambitious."
^Tell me this isn't happening in the American economy.

"Aoyama cites one man in his early 30s, a virgin, who can't get sexually aroused unless he watches female robots on a game similar to Power Rangers. "
LOL

Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
They're gonna start paying people to have babies to keep their economy going.
Lol

Old 10-21-2013, 09:56 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Lol

They may, through tax incentives. Wouldn't be that outlandish really.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,627,647 times
First-hand experience from a guy born in Japan, Japanese ethnicity, our tech staff.
His own opinion is summed up in this part of that article:
Quote:
"It's too troublesome," says Kishino, when I ask why he's not interested in having a girlfriend. "I don't earn a huge salary to go on dates and I don't want the responsibility of a woman hoping it might lead to marriage."
That's just about it.
When others asked him if he ever tried, he said he didn't want to bother much because, his own perception is that Japanese society and women have a "princess syndrome", by his own words. His own vision is that Japanese women want to make their men dance around their little finger and the guy needs to be traditional in every sense and bring lots, while the woman should act "modern" when it suits her own impulse or desire. He says it's a huge liability in his life and that "he wasn't taught to play the woman's desire for a relationship" so he opts not to engage at all. He was 30 y/o and had no girlfriend, he's now 31 and I haven't contacted him lately, I don't know if anything has changed.
He also spoke that there's a huge contrast among people and not everything is black and white but this is how a lots of your average Japanese people go with their lives, both men and women.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:15 AM

543 posts, read 534,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
First-hand experience from a guy born in Japan, Japanese ethnicity, our tech staff.
His own opinion is summed up in this part of that article:

That's just about it.
When others asked him if he ever tried, he said he didn't want to bother much because, his own perception is that Japanese society and women have a "princess syndrome", by his own words. His own vision is that Japanese women want to make their men dance around their little finger and the guy needs to be traditional in every sense and bring lots, while the woman should act "modern" when it suits her own impulse or desire. He says it's a huge liability in his life and that "he wasn't taught to play the woman's desire for a relationship" so he opts not to engage at all. He was 30 y/o and had no girlfriend, he's now 31 and I haven't contacted him lately, I don't know if anything has changed.
He also spoke that there's a huge contrast among people and not everything is black and white but this is how a lots of your average Japanese people go with their lives, both men and women.
Some pretty striking similarities to American culture there.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:26 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,762 times
In Singapore, the government had to issue posters to encourage young people to marry and have babies because the birth rate was dropping so fast it was threatening a demographic crisis. The same thing is happening all over Europe and even in China, which is on the face of it the most populous country in the world but is suffering from an increasingly aged population. One has to look at it from a young person's perspective: the economy is poor and looks to be getting worse (especially if the US defaults), and marriage is a financially risky proposition. Even dating can be draining when the dating culture is traditional, which it most definitely is over in Asia (women expect expensive dates that are paid for by the man.)

Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM

809 posts, read 1,273,254 times
There are societies in the world that are not hung up on sex. Quite unfathomable for people in the west. It's cultural and that is all it is. Pretty much the same in the middle east, rest of Asia and India/China.

Why is this news? They are not socialized to think the way we do here.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:51 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric_Bear View Post
With Japan's population decreasing and the overall population getting older I do not think it is beneficial for the economy and the future of Japan. I do agree with your stance about religion having a decreased role in society but having a low birthrate and a larger older population is going to cause problems.
All of this is true....and add that Japan is hostile to immigrants and immigration. They don't have babies, and they don't want foreigners moving in. This really doesn't bode well for Japan's future. The population is aging, the high standard of living will guarantee that more people will live longer, and there will be no young workers to replace them.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:03 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
IMHO, there are many things that are happening in Japan that foreshadow what will happen in this country. Face it, if there is no love or affection coming from the opposite sex, then interest in mating will decline. This makes sense in Japan since the high cost of living and the poor economy make the cost of family and children seem to be an even greater hurdle. Face it, when the joy of mating is small, and the cost of mating is high, you're going to get less of it.

I think the exact same thing is starting to happen in this nation. Women are having fewer children, more people are avoiding marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships