Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:05 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times

Advertisements

Well, what is happening is Japan is proof that abstinence can work if one has enough willpower to do it, which in itself is a good thing. As for their low fertility rate and birth rate, that might very well need to be somehow dealt with in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 11:54 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Well, what is happening is Japan is proof that abstinence can work if one has enough willpower to do it, which in itself is a good thing. As for their low fertility rate and birth rate, that might very well need to be somehow dealt with in the future.
Actually, for the future of our species and the environment that sustains us, I think the declining birth rates in developed nations might be the most optimistic sign there is.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:21 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Actually, for the future of our species and the environment that sustains us, I think the declining birth rates in developed nations might be the most optimistic sign there is.
Yes and No. It can be a positive thing, as you said, since it might be a good idea for at least some areas/places to have their populations reduced. However, it can also be a negative thing if it will ruin countries' social safety nets, et cetera.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:27 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric_Bear View Post
These cultural ideals will accelerate the population decline in Japan. I think this will hurt Japan overall in the future unless the younger generations break this trend.
The pendulum always eventually swings back in the direction it came. But basically what have over there is an even more extreme version of feminism. Taken to its extremes (in safe/rich environments like 1st world countries anyway) it basically renders men unnecessary to women. Women are kind of suffering the same fate due to the wildly creative sex toy industry they have over there. The real thing is overpriced and not worth the hassle (apparently).

Old 10-31-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Yes and No. It can be a positive thing, as you said, since it might be a good idea for at least some areas/places to have their populations reduced. However, it can also be a negative thing if it will ruin countries' social safety nets, et cetera.
Safety nets don't matter much without clean air, water, and food. Yes, in the short run it would be difficult, but in the long run infinite population growth is not sustainable.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:45 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times

This article sounds pretty dramatic, but I get skeptical of articles that present facts like these without international comparisons. I was curious: How weird are the Japanese really? A bit weird, perhaps, but not as different from the rest of the world as you might think.

Japan is simply facing a more acute version of a trend the rest of the world is also experiencing.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,203,029 times
Japan's punishing corporate world makes it almost impossible for women to combine a career and family, while children are unaffordable unless both parents work. Cohabiting or unmarried parenthood is still unusual, dogged by bureaucratic disapproval.

...and there you have it. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Can't blame it on the people.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

This article sounds pretty dramatic, but I get skeptical of articles that present facts like these without international comparisons. I was curious: How weird are the Japanese really? A bit weird, perhaps, but not as different from the rest of the world as you might think.

Japan is simply facing a more acute version of a trend the rest of the world is also experiencing.
What the articles like this related to Japan lately have been doing, from what I've seen, is taking actual data regarding declining marriage rates and birth rates and trying to tie it to anecdotal evidence (individual stories) about people who don't have sex. ("Hey, look at this crazy guy! He doesn't have sex! That must be why the entire nation's birthrates are down!") I've not seen any actual data showing that people are having sex less frequently than they used to. It's possible, but it's also possible they're just using birth control more.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:53 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
What the articles like this related to Japan lately have been doing, from what I've seen, is taking actual data regarding declining marriage rates and birth rates and trying to tie it to anecdotal evidence (individual stories) about people who don't have sex. ("Hey, look at this crazy guy! He doesn't have sex! That must be why the entire nation's birthrates are down!") I've not seen any actual data showing that people are having sex less frequently than they used to. It's possible, but it's also possible they're just using birth control more.
Exactly!

Old 10-31-2013, 05:01 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Eh I don't think its that simple. There really is something going on and it ain't all just birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships