Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 03:07 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsechick71 View Post
Stop the press what crockpot stirs? I just got the Ninja 3-in-1 cooking system and thought that was awesome. Still refining the cooking of veggies in it..but at least the food isn't wasted (dog).

There will be a whole bunch of babies born in about 9 months from now with the people that were snow bound/cold bound etc.

I have been going through thousands of rows in excel trying to find issues. I think my eyes are killing me. It is ironic they are called retina scans..since your retina's may get burned reading them.

I still haven't gone out with the guy that asked me out last week. I am not sure if he is really my type or not while getting to know him via text. We are kind of classes apart. I know that sounds stuck up but when I am working he is fishing. I am sure during the summer he is much busier but I am not wanting to support someone during winter. I was married to that before...
This one:
Crock-Pot® Auto-Stir Slow Cooker - 6Qt : Target

Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
This cold snap has exposed draft issues along the outer wall of our unit compounded when the heat kicks on an pulls the air through the gaps. It feels like a window is slighty open.
The entire outer wall is lined with beach towels and I have tape over the unused outlets.
That sounds so....well...at least it's not plastic wrap and tin foil!

Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,467,599 times
It was soooo cold earlier today, in the 40's but felt like the 20's to me. brrrrrrrrrrrrr. I feel so much sympathy for those in the lower digits, I hope all are managing to find warmth where ever they are.

For the first time, I listen to an auto-book, great experience, and finally got around to watching Lincoln, excellent movie for so many reasons. This cold snap is sure great for catching up on my reading and I snatched up a bunch of videos while I was at the library.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:54 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,107,489 times
It was 11 below actual temp in SE Michigan this morning with wind chills 30 and 40 below. It is brutal, and my heart goes out to those who have to work in it.

I went around my house Sunday and Monday with spray foam insulation to seal air leaks and put up shrink-wrap plastic on all the windows. The house is old and doesn't have storm windows. I bought it in the fall, and between working and moving, I didn't caulk around the windows on the exterior, so now I'm making up for it temporarily.

I have learned that I love doing the shrink-wrap thing. Go ahead. Call it a fetish. LMAO

Old 01-07-2014, 05:05 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
The only thing about that shrink wrap stuff is that when you take it off there is a high chance you will remove the paint off the walls around the windows where it was taped from the glue on the tape and heat used to apply it. I got these peel and stick strips to use at the base of the windows and window sills and the door to the garage and large peel and stick molding for the bottom of the garage door to keep those gaps sealed off. Made a huge difference and they remain there permanently and I don't have to redo it every year.

Spray foam is definitely where it's at. I had to foam shut all the old windows in the basement.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:12 PM

The house is old and needs some TLC anyway. It's my little money pit. LOL I couldn't let the wind whip through, because the power bill would likely give me "sticker shock". But thanks for the warning. I'll try to be careful with the tape, but be ready to paint. : )

Yep, am lovin' the foam, too.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:18 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,647,543 times
Reflectix is a good product for insulation. Home Depot, for one, sells it. Cut it with a heavy duty scissors. They delivered FREE when I got a 16" x 100' roll for &49.99.

https://www.google.com/#q=Reflectix

Old 01-07-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
The house is old and needs some TLC anyway. It's my little money pit. LOL I couldn't let the wind whip through, because the power bill would likely give me "sticker shock". But thanks for the warning. I'll try to be careful with the tape, but be ready to paint. : )

Yep, am lovin' the foam, too.
I was talking about this in another thread, but there is a grant program available to any homeowner through the county usually or the largest city close to you called a CHIP Grant -Community Housing Improvement Program and they do everything like replace all your windows and doors and roof work. Under a certain amount is completely free and you don't have to pay it back, over a certain amount you don't have to pay it back unless you sell the house, but it's interest free forever. You don't need to have low or bad finances to obtain them. I had to get my roof redone and applied for one and they paid the whole $10,000 for the roof for free-to-me and even provided a contractor. I've got some foundation issues and am looking to apply for another one. When I called my city to find out about it the woman I first talked to told me "Oh, yes, I've used them and had all my windows and doors replaced."

Just type in your browser your own city and state and the words 'Chip Grant' or if nothing comes up your county and state with 'Chip Grant' and you should find them. Every state has them and vie for the amounts they get from the federal government.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 PM

Utility companies also provide a lot of hidden, unadvertised services. I had to get what is close to big redwoods all over my little back yard removed. I have the biggest and tallest trees in the city. I found out the electric company had an 'Arbor Program' and they will cut them down and spread the amount out a little each month on your electric bill interest free. They came out and did the limbs with the electric line running through them in the backyard for free.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:47 PM

Oh, that's great! Thanks!

My Little Money Pit might get that work done before we both get old and fall apart.

You've given me hope. I have some cement work that the local gov't told me I needed to do. On my wages? I just chuckled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships