Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:11 AM

6 posts, read 9,146 times

Advertisements

I've been dating a man for about 2.5 years and am 13 weeks pregnant. We have a good relationship but he always told me that he didn't have emotional feelings for me; just more like a best friend. Now that he has found out about the pregnancy he is begging me to marry him. But I don't know if I can see it, because I know he would not consider it otherwise. The pregnancy was not planned but is very wanted after I got over the shock. We are both early 40's so its not like we are kids. I just don't know if I can face being married to someone that I love very much and knowing he does not love me... for the rest of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:15 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan zareta View Post
I've been dating a man for about 2.5 years and am 13 weeks pregnant. We have a good relationship but he always told me that he didn't have emotional feelings for me; just more like a best friend. Now that he has found out about the pregnancy he is begging me to marry him. But I don't know if I can see it, because I know he would not consider it otherwise. The pregnancy was not planned but is very wanted after I got over the shock. We are both early 40's so its not like we are kids. I just don't know if I can face being married to someone that I love very much and knowing he does not love me... for the rest of my life.
In your situation, yes, I would consider marriage.

There are worse things in the world than being married to your best friend!

He sounds like a good guy, someone eager to accept and love your child.

All babies deserve a chance to be born into a stable home, and if he does think of you like a best friend, he does love you (though I get that you want romantic love too).

And not that you can count on it, but many a man has fallen in love with their best friend, especially once they watch them go through pregnancy and become a mother.

Best of luck to you!

Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 AM

782 posts, read 1,357,201 times
I couldn't see marrying someone who doesn't love me. It just seems like things wouldn't work out. I would wonder what the future would hold; how much happiness or contentment in spending life with someone who you already know doesn't have feelings for you.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:26 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,998,293 times
It sounds to me like he does not have enough self awareness to have a long term happy marriage.

I think you should remain best friends and raise the child together (and have sex if you feel like it), but leave open the possibility that in a few years you will be ready to date and will find a man who loves you and your toddler.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:30 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,111,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
In your situation, yes, I would consider marriage.

There are worse things in the world than being married to your best friend!

He sounds like a good guy, someone eager to accept and love your child.

All babies deserve a chance to be born into a stable home, and if he does think of you like a best friend, he does love you (though I get that you want romantic love too).

And not that you can count on it, but many a man has fallen in love with their best friend, especially once they watch them go through pregnancy and become a mother.

Best of luck to you!
I disagree. They should get married so the baby can have a stable home? If this man doesn't love OP and the only reason he is marrying her is because of the baby, then at some point that stable home is not going to be so stable. Marriage is hard enough when two people really love each other. I can't imagine how hard it would be if neither person really wanted to get married in the first place. OP, it would be foolish to marry this guy and hope he'll fall in love with you. Falling in love after the fact is possible, but it's pretty unlikely. It's been 2 years already. If he doesn't love you by now in a romantic way, then I doubt anything will change that. What happens when he meets the woman he DOES feel romantic love for? And what about you? Don't you want the opportunity to experience real love? You guys can raise the baby together as best friends and be wonderful parents. You don't have to be married to give a baby a stable life.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I disagree. They should get married so the baby can have a stable home? If this man doesn't love OP and the only reason he is marrying her is because of the baby, then at some point that stable home is not going to be so stable. Marriage is hard enough when two people really love each other. I can't imagine how hard it would be if neither person really wanted to get married in the first place. OP, it would be foolish to marry this guy and hope he'll fall in love with you. Falling in love after the fact is possible, but it's pretty unlikely. It's been 2 years already. If he doesn't love you by now in a romantic way, then I doubt anything will change that. What happens when he meets the woman he DOES feel romantic love for? And what about you? Don't you want the opportunity to experience real love? You guys can raise the baby together as best friends and be wonderful parents. You don't have to be married to give a baby a stable life.
You know, prior to the recent evolution of the concept that all marriages should spring from some huge love affair, people for centuries got married out of mutual need for survival.

And many of those marriages that started out as beneficial partnerships did go on to become great love affairs, or at least comfortable friendships.

Did you miss the part about him seeing her as his best friend and how he is eager to marry? These are no small details!

We can agree to disagree on what constitutes a "stable home" for a child. But statistics are on my side that babies and young children are safer emotionally and physically in 2 parent households.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:40 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,111,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You know, prior to the recent evolution of the concept that all marriages should spring from some huge love affair, people for centuries got married out of mutual need for survival.

And many of those marriages that started out as beneficial partnerships did go on to become great love affairs, or at least comfortable friendships.

Did you miss the part about him seeing her as his best friend and how he is eager to marry? These are no small details!

We can agree to disagree on what constitutes a "stable home" for a child. But statistics are on my side that babies and young children are safer emotionally and physically in 2 parent households.
No need to be snarky, yes I did read the entire post. And I think it's great they are best friends and it is indeed noble that he is willing to marry her. But what happens in five years? In twenty? A baby isn't enough to hold together a marriage for forever. They don't have to be married to be a 2 parent household. They are both committed to the baby, they both care about each other and get along. How does a marriage change what kind of parents they'll be?

Things are VERY different now than back when people got married for survival. People have different expectations about marriage now and to marry because they feel obligated to the baby is a reason that is going to leave them both disappointed down the line.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:40 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,777 times
You answered your own question.

I know you want to do the right thing by the child but this will eat at you until you end up bitter and divorced anyway. Marriage requires a lot of sacrifices from both parties and if you feel that you're sacrificing for someone who doesn't even love you then it will get very ugly.

Aside from wanting to do the "right" thing what is his motivation for marriage? At your age you should definitely be financially self-sufficient and he can pay child support if it's about money. So what is this really about? Is this about finances or health insurance?

Quote:

Old 11-25-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
No need to be snarky, yes I did read the entire post. And I think it's great they are best friends and it is indeed noble that he is willing to marry her. But what happens in five years? In twenty? A baby isn't enough to hold together a marriage for forever. They don't have to be married to be a 2 parent household. They are both committed to the baby, they both care about each other and get along. How does a marriage change what kind of parents they'll be?

Things are VERY different now than back when people got married for survival. People have different expectations about marriage now and to marry because they feel obligated to the baby is a reason that is going to leave them both disappointed down the line.
But I wasn't being "snarky" I was truly just disagreeing with you and explaining why

No harm intended!

Old 11-25-2013, 10:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
He doesn't love you but you are best friends who have sex...?

Huh?

Best friends who have sex. Think about that. Isn't that the goal of any marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships