Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 11:08 AM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There are worse things in the world than being married to your best friend!
I nominate this statement for Wisdom of the Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Marriage is hard enough when two people really love each other.
I would opine that the strongest marriages are precisely those contracted in the absence of love. It’s more important to grow into love 10 years after the wedding, than in the months before the wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Whomever said that if you have reservations, don't, is spot on, regardless of the nature of the reservations.
I have reservations about the stock market going up, but I still invest. I have reservations about traffic accidents or getting stranded in a broken car, but I still drive. I have reservations about spoiled food or toxic additives, but I still eat. If we desist from any major decision merely because we harbor reservations, we would be left with the passive alternative. That's not always bad. Sometimes instead of doing something it's wisest to just stand there. But what if a solid opportunity is foregone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
So his underlying motivation for marriage is a rather selfish one.
Are not most of our motivations ultimately selfish? How many people would make charitable contributions, if those contributions were not tax-deductible and did not augment one’s stature in the community? True, marriage ought not to strictly be about the self. But the whole premise of this thread is what’s best for the OP, not what’s best for her boyfriend. Is that not already, by definition, selfish? Selfishness in moderate is no vice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
You two have the foundations for a good marriage: compatability, friendship, respect, and you like each other. These things are more important than gushy, butterflies-in-the-stomach feelings associated with falling in love.
Exactly! Best-friends can fall in love. How many lovers lack the core precepts of friendship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 11:12 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,787 times
She'll never love me as much as I do her...so what's the difference?

Old 11-26-2013, 12:53 PM

10 posts, read 9,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan zareta View Post
and knowing he does not love me... for the rest of my life.
Everyone who has been with someone else for 2.5 years has some kind of emotional feelings for that person. The question is how strong those feelings are. Do you know for sure that he doesn't love you? Because it seems to me that he may love you but he is just not honest about it. He may be afraid of it.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:40 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So...lemme understand the jist of this thread's responses...

Ok to hang out with and sleep with and travel with and be best friends with a guy...until she pregnant...and then they shouldn't do everything they can to provide a stable, loving home?

Huh?
Two "best friends" getting married does not automatically equal loving home. If there is a major question of whether one loves the other, from personal experience, it is only a matter of time before all hell breaks loose.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Two "best friends" getting married does not automatically equal loving home. If there is a major question of whether one loves the other, from personal experience, it is only a matter of time before all hell breaks loose.
My question is...if they are already great partners, what has now changed now that the stakes are greater?

Old 11-26-2013, 04:49 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Quote:
No, neither of us do.
Do you want a kid?

Is there a reason why you've not had kids up till now?

Not scrutinizing or judging you, just wondering why at 40 you would now choose to have a child, if it's not because you really want one?

Old 11-26-2013, 07:49 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times
Quote:
We are of different "races" I suppose... He is Indian and I am white American.

I DID break up with him several times. But we were both so miserable apart, and I just let him talk me into seeing him again. He always know just what to say to me
is he American indian or from india ? could be some culture influences going on that you may not be aware of.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:52 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Oh God, Op, you deserve to be loved. So what you are pregnant, you guys can still raise the child together without getting married. Find a man who is crazily in love with you. Don't "settle" with this guy.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:12 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Absolutely not. Marriage is hard enough as it is. Don't put a child in the mix. Congrats on the baby!

Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,998,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
is he American indian or from india ? could be some culture influences going on that you may not be aware of.
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships