Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 10:34 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I meant work with it like just getting along with it and not worrying about it. Not using chemicals
Yup and if you aren't phased by it the better chances you will have. Acne is one thing, being depressed about it is another. The guys I have seen with acne and good looking women are out and about doing stuff normal people do, and generally just forget about it. If you mope around all day about it and shy away from things then yes it will probably be impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 10:36 AM
SF

286 posts, read 324,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macas View Post
is it possible for a man with really bad adult acne to get a girlfriend?
Yes he can.If it is only the bad acne but his other features are attractive then surely yes acne will not be a problem

Also more importantly it is said inner personality is more attractive than outer looks so if he has an attractive personality then again acne will not be a problem.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:36 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Yup and if you aren't phased by it the better chances you will have. Acne is one thing, being depressed about it is another. The guys I have seen with acne and good looking women are out and about doing stuff normal people do, and generally just forget about it. If you mope around all day about it and shy away from things then yes it will probably be impossible.

I know someone who had acne and got all kinds of women. Then he got rid of his acne, turned fat and still got women lol

Old 02-08-2014, 10:43 AM

13,659 posts, read 9,724,335 times
I had cystic acne in my teens. The acne penetrated the facial muscles, literally making it painful to smile. Fortunately my health insurance was good, and age 20 I underwent an intensive regimen of Accutane. For 6 months, I'd swallow the tablets daily. For the better part of a year, there was precious little improvement, and only side-effects. But 12-18 months later, the acne started clearing up. By my mid-20s, all that remained was the lesions.

Acne is a double disadvantage: in one's physical appearance, and one's confidence. It is difficult to disentangle the one from the other. I would recommend acne treatment, if at all possible, and whether or not it actually improves one's dating-chances.

As for Shoane's post (#2), I'm inclined to partially agree. As others have said, women are just as visually judgmental as men. However, acne ruins a woman's beauty more than it ruins a man's handsomeness. A man with acne can still be masculine, but a woman with acne is judged as having compromised femininity. So while physical attractiveness is equally important to men and to women, the deleterious effects of acne on women are probably more severe.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:56 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
I had psoriasis growing up (and still do). I have a lot of self confidence, sometimes too much.. however I can understand how you would feel about the acne. My psoriasis comes and goes and I often take shots to make it go away, but when it's there it can be horrible. Put me in any situation in the world, I'm unphased. Put me in a room of people while my psoriasis is bad and I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt and you'll have me looking awkward as hell.

That being said, I don't think it has a huge negative effect on me in terms of dating. I'm sure it doesn't help.. but the biggest issue is not letting it get in your head. Something you should try doing is finding ways to mask your acne, however that might be. Not necessarily that it'll do a huge difference, but maybe to do something to ease your mind a little bit. Your demeanor will affect you more than the acne itsself.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:05 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
Adult acne could also be misdiagnosed rosacea. If it's the latter, and your treat for acne, it will make it worse, not better.

I have moderate rosacea, and it has rarely presented a problem with dating.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:46 PM

16 posts, read 33,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
of course i do normal things. do you really think i just mope around all day? i ask women out all of the time but they turn me down now or just want to be friends. i have a social life and interact with women all of the time. before i had acne i did not have this problem.

look how bad i look though:

i can try accutane but here are reported side effects:

Increased levels of triglycerides and cholesterol in your blood
Headaches and brain swelling
Damage to skin and mucous membranes Premature epiphyseal closure
Development of inflammatory bowel disease
Pancreatitis
Increased liver enzyme levels and liver damage
Disturbances of your central nervous system
Hyperostosis (excessive bone growth) and bone demineralization
Damage to your eyes including cataracts
Erectile dysfunction
Hearing impairment
Neutropenia, agranulocytosis, and rhabdomyolysis (blood disorders)

i have heard alot of people online say they got the side effects and then the acne came back later even after taking accutane. it gets me worried to try it.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:11 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
Any acne is horrible and potentially life ruining HOWEVER adult acne particularly in men is easily curable these days.

If you have adult acne as a male I will almost guarantee you are not caring for yourself properly, by which I mean Hygiene.

Acne sufferers can have clear skin but it means WORK and effort and lifestyle changes.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Any acne is horrible and potentially life ruining HOWEVER adult acne particularly in men is easily curable these days.

If you have adult acne as a male I will almost guarantee you are not caring for yourself properly, by which I mean Hygiene.

Acne sufferers can have clear skin but it means WORK and effort and lifestyle changes.
1. how is it "easily curable"?

2. i have already seen several dieticians through the years and have gone on special "healthy" diets that did nothing for the acne.

3. it's pretty insulting of you to assume that i have acne because of "bad hygiene". i don't have bad hygiene habits.

the only thing that i hear works is accutane... but from what i've read online is that the acne can come back and some people have gotten permanent dangerous side effects from it. many men online complain about erectile dysfunction being PERMANENT after taking it.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

and this is another reason why it's annoying to have acne... i run into people all of the time that assume that it's because i'm not taking care of myself when my diet is healthy and i have tried "specialized" acne diets that didn't work while others think it's because you don't clean yourself. i'm still wondering how it's easily curable when dieticians and dermatologists couldn't even help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships