Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,491 times

Advertisements

I can relate to the OP, idk what could be worse, having bad adult acne, or having huge, indented pockmark scars left behind from a puberty of bad acne and poor habits, something like this:

Anyway even after many laser resurfacing treatments I still have some visible pockmark scars, but I haven't let it stop me from getting dates or hooking up. Just last week I did an unexpected daytime pickup at a fast food joint during breakfast, we conversed and I ended up taking her to my place.

How far are you willing to go to remove acne? Dermatologists can use surgery against acne, but there is a risk of ending up with scars that would then have to be resurfaced with lasers. None of this is cheap but works in the long term.

A less extreme option to temporarily cover up acne is the use of concealers:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 10:54 AM

347 posts, read 425,541 times
I'd suggest to the OP to work on clearing up the acne -

take Milk Thistle supplements to detox your liver and a Vitamin B 100 complete
clean up your diet
visit acne.org
sleep with a new, clean towel over your pillow every night
meditate

Old 02-10-2014, 12:24 PM

284 posts, read 340,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I can relate to the OP, idk what could be worse, having bad adult acne, or having huge, indented pockmark scars left behind from a puberty of bad acne and poor habits, something like this:
For ice-pick scars like the referenced picture, you will likely achieve better success with collagen injections vs repeated laser resurfacing which could actually cause additional scarring (depending on your skin-type). The collagen will fill in the "craters" and give the skin a more smooth appearance. This is not permanent but a lot of patients achieve dramatic results.

I would not recommend the use of any type of make-up on damaged skin as it may cause more inflammation, eruptions, etc. One has be really careful with acne-prone skin...especially cystic acne.

I applaud you for not letting your physical deficiencies prevent you from accomplishing what you've set your mind to. People discount the impact skin has on one's psyche. It can be an insurmountable problem for some.

Best!

Your resident C-D DIT.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:45 PM

284 posts, read 340,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Yeah this is what most dermatologists say. Then there's the people like me who all have the same coincidence happen, which starts to make it seem like it's not a coincidence.
There is such a thing as a temporal association which essentially refers to a situation where two unrelated events happen at the same time and thus erroneously thought to be related. Accutane can cause baldness, but it would not be male pattern baldness: the mechanism by which the drug acts has not been found to be related to MBP (I don't want to go into linking pathophysiology and pharmacology) Usually patients may have patchy areas of hair loss which may resume growth after the drug is stopped. If you have male relatives with MPB, there is almost a guarantee that you will have it. Even women are not in the clear!

It all really depends on your age and your genetic predisposition. I'm guessing you're at least approaching or in your twenties? There was a recent epidemiological study that noted that men are getting balder at younger ages, which correlates well with the obesity epidemic. However, increased baldness was noted earlier in men that were of normal BMI or lower BMI.

Apologies for getting too technical.... I get fired up over subjects like this.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:51 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
wear makeup to hide your flaws like women do

or just find a chick with horrible skin or one that likes to to pop pimples and pick at your skin

Old 02-10-2014, 01:16 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macas View Post
is it possible for a man with really bad adult acne to get a girlfriend?
Speaking as a guy with bad acne, no you cannot.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Speaking as a guy with bad acne, no you cannot.
I understand you are coming from first hand experience, but I have two female friends, both with truly horrible cystic acne, and both are in long term relationships. Heck, one of them ended up with a marriage proposal from an up-and-coming attorney.

It's a challenge, certainly, but not an absolute death knell to a loving relationship.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Wrong. Acne is not just a blocked hair follicle (and it can take as little as 2 weeks to form). It's an inflammatory response to it. Why some people's pores just push out the gunk & others have an over-reaction in the form of a large, inflamed lesion is not fully known.

Diet is not a cause for many with acne, and why assume all people have such poor diets? I don't eat processed junk & have always struggled with period-related hormonal breakouts (which I treat easily with topicals). Besides morning coffee & occasional glass of wine, all I drink is water & I avoid processed foods with preservatives. I gave up dairy & red meat for a time - did nothing.

Way to go to make more ignorant assumptions (about cleanliness again....really? Acne is NOT from being dirty when it's a skin disorder; those are not lifestyle related breakouts the OP is talking about). I've never had bad untreatable acne, but talking to those who do & they experiment with ALL kinds of things to get rid of it. Whenever I hear people advise to change pillow cases or stop touching the face, etc, I roll my eyes. That's like acne 101 - you think most adults considering an extreme drug have not considered the simple stuff first? I can tell you they have; that's last resort for them & their doctors.

These kinds of ignorant assumptions would not be tolerated with any other disease.
Oh calm down.

I never said cleanliness was the only solution - just that most people underestimate it as part of a holistic approach.

From your extreme reaction to my advice, I've hit a nerve

Op - how often do you change your bed linen?

Hardly ever I bet....I can almost guarantee its not daily.

Also, as far as ignorance goes - the lesion takes 6 weeks to form, or two weeks, but either way youre not going to get pore blockage if you keep the pores clean. The blockage comes because the excess oil is unable to escape the pore, much like a blockage in your sink. If you remove the gunk, the sink can empty, and you regularly use draino, it won't block in the future.

I had cystic acne myself to the point plastic surgery was considered (they wont prescribe accutane here).

I didn't want the knife so read up myself.

Remember - Dermatologists have a business to run and wages to pay too -they don't actually WANT their clients to self help too much.

Did you ever have proper food allergy testing? Forget the preservative dairy red meat thing, tomatoes are responsible for a lot of acne. It could be white bread, it could be broccoli or even a whole bunch of things together.

You also totally ignored my recommendations of laser therapy or UV treatment...just a knee jerk BASH that I don't know what I'm talking about. So who's ignorant?

I was plagued by adult acne for most of my life and now I have smooth clear skin everywhere.

I still have to be careful otherwise it flares back up again on my butt of all places. Antiseptic soap daily is a MUST. If I skip a day, I get a butt pimple.

OP -fwiw a lot of sexy men have acne scarring, think Ray Liotta....yum.

Last edited by cindersslipper; 02-10-2014 at 04:15 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 03:31 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macas View Post
i have tried the "nothing" approach for one month and it really made my acne worse. my skin was redder than before.

You have to dry exfoliate you can't just leave dead skin sitting on top. Also, you have had acne for almost all your life and you think 30 days is enough? Highly doubtful.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:16 PM

16 posts, read 33,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

Op - how often do you change your bed linen?

Hardly ever I bet....I can almost guarantee its not daily.

Remember - Dermatologists have a business to run and wages to pay too -they don't actually WANT their clients to self help too much.
wrong. i already posted a response to this. also, accutane clears most people so they won't have to see dermatologists again so how does your comment about dermatologists not wanting to help even make sense if they prescribe it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You have to dry exfoliate you can't just leave dead skin sitting on top. Also, you have had acne for almost all your life and you think 30 days is enough? Highly doubtful.
quack science
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships