Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:56 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times

Advertisements

Don't be so naive. You can't just be friends with a man whom you admit you are attracted to who is doing the " poor me" act with his cheating wife. He's being manipulative and you're being gullible. The affair is none of your business and he has no right to be sharing his marriage details with another woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:43 AM

324 posts, read 407,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Don't be so naive. You can't just be friends with a man whom you admit you are attracted to who is doing the " poor me" act with his cheating wife. He's being manipulative and you're being gullible. The affair is none of your business and he has no right to be sharing his marriage details with another woman.
One of the reasons I got attracted and thought it is safe to be friends with him is I think he is a man of character/good values. He always spoke well of his wife and he never flirted with me. We just enjoy talking to each other. I was the only person he shared the affair with since I do not know his wife. He does not want to ruin the image of his wife to friends and family. I really believe he is not capable of having a sexual affair because he seems to be still very in love with his wife. He said he wants to fix his marriage and I am amazed with his self control on not confronting his wife days after knowing the details of the affair.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:47 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_girl View Post
I am very confused too. I admit that I am attracted to him but I will not let it go beyond attraction. I also believe that the attraction is one way since he doesn't appear to be attracted to any other woman than his wife (in spite of the affair) I'm thinking if we can still be friends given the circumstances
So is this your reason for wanting to help him?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:53 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,604 times
If this guy was more aware he would drop his wife and totally get involved with you. At least that's what I would do if I was in his shoes.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:55 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antics32 View Post
Well, if I were you I would stay out of it. She was having a physical affair, you two were having an emotional affair. It's debatable whether those things are equal but if you really want to help him and yourself you will keep your distance.

This.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Quote:
One of the reasons I got attracted and thought it is safe to be friends with him is I think he is a man of character/good values. He always spoke well of his wife and he never flirted with me. We just enjoy talking to each other. I was the only person he shared the affair with since I do not know his wife. He does not want to ruin the image of his wife to friends and family. I really believe he is not capable of having a sexual affair because he seems to be still very in love with his wife. He said he wants to fix his marriage and I am amazed with his self control on not confronting his wife days after knowing the details of the affair.
As I said, you're naive and gullible. Men of good character don't drag other women into their marital mess for no reason. He shares things because he's getting off on the female attention you're lavishing on him. He may or may not hit on you but it's inappropriate for him to be sharing so much. Tell him to get a marriage therapist, that will be more beneficial to him and his wife...don't forget he's married.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
So is this your reason for wanting to help him?
I don't understand myself if it's the attraction or guilt of abandoning someone in crisis. I am certain that I do not want a relationship with him even if he were single or separate from his wife because I can't deal with all the complications.

Is it really an emotional affair when clearly he is not interested or attracted to me in a romantic way? I truly feel this, in spite of his wife's affair he still loves her. Today he said his wife allowed him to hug her in bed (because in the past few weeks she does not even want to be touched) and he felt like crying then. I don't think that is a man mad from an affair, it seems like his wife could do no wrong. He even said that maybe when his wife has another affair he wishes to be numb. That's unconditional love I guess

Old 03-06-2014, 08:28 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
I do want to walk away but it makes me feel guilty since he only has me to confide in Am I being a bad person if I did just that?
Nope. He has his wife he can confide in(that is her job) and he can talk to his other friends and family or a counselor.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:32 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,604 times
Quote:
I don't understand myself if it's the attraction or guilt of abandoning someone in crisis. I am certain that I do not want a relationship with him even if he were single or separate from his wife because I can't deal with all the complications.

Is it really an emotional affair when clearly he is not interested or attracted to me in a romantic way? I truly feel this, in spite of his wife's affair he still loves her. Today he said his wife allowed him to hug her in bed (because in the past few weeks she does not even want to be touched) and he felt like crying then. I don't think that is a man mad from an affair, it seems like his wife could do no wrong. He even said that maybe when his wife has another affair he wishes to be numb. That's unconditional love I guess
No, that is just a man who doesn't realize he has options and has become co-dependent. There is no such thing as unconditional love. There is loyalty though which I think some people confuse with unconditional acts.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
As I said, you're naive and gullible. Men of good character don't drag other women into their marital mess for no reason. He shares things because he's getting off on the female attention you're lavishing on him. He may or may not hit on you but it's inappropriate for him to be sharing so much. Tell him to get a marriage therapist, that will be more beneficial to him and his wife...don't forget he's married.
This is the reason why I am continuing my friendship with him because he never hit on me so I feel safe that it's platonic. He says we are not doing anything wrong since we are not flirting or intimate.

So does this mean I am being used for an ego boost???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships