Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The approximate minimum you expect a potential husband to make mid career
150K yearly 33 23.91%
100K yearly 22 15.94%
75K yearly 29 21.01%
50K yearly 29 21.01%
$15/hr 6 4.35%
None 19 13.77%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 08:11 AM

527 posts, read 600,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
The poll was started for the very reason of being objective.
Then you're conducting it in the wrong place. You're not going to find that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 10:00 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
The people who frequent this board are not a representative sample of the population, thank Gawd. Not even close. The "men" here are probably an even more distorted sample, but the women aren't exactly what I would call normal. I don't find real life women to be obsessed with men's salaries or penis size, just like I don't find real life men to be obsessed with women's number of partners, age, or weight.
Regardless, it's not anywhere close to 100% 'don't care'.

Optimistically, it might be half.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:24 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,279 times
Most women I know expect their man to make at least around what they make or more.

You probably won't find the 33 year old female project manager making 115k/year dating a 35 year old male journalist making 55k/year unless there was some other imbalance in the relationship.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:32 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
I had women eliminate me when I was unemployed. Thats their loss because I was still paying my bills, owned a house, and could pay for dates. The great recession temporarily took me out of the game. Had they been smart and really tried to understand what I do, as well as my education, they wouldn't have done that. I'm now well over $100k, which is a pretty good standard of living. Most women don't know that because I don't drive a fancy car. I dress well, but not like a millionaire. If a woman wants stability with a good future, thats what I have to offer. Most women don't think very far ahead when deciding whether to date a man. Its a shame.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:41 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Most women I know expect their man to make at least around what they make or more.

You probably won't find the 33 year old female project manager making 115k/year dating a 35 year old male journalist making 55k/year unless there was some other imbalance in the relationship.
Yes, you might. Journalism doesn't pay that hugely. In the market I just left, I was actually acquainted with precisely that combination of a project manager married to one of the news anchors (morning show) of the local television station. I know pretty closely what she was making, and I'd seen salary ranges for television anchors in that city. Judging by their household, I suspect that was about their difference in pay.

But he was a local celebrity and well-known in the community, regardless of the fact she actually out-earned him.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:41 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I had women eliminate me when I was unemployed. Thats their loss because I was still paying my bills, owned a house, and could pay for dates. The great recession temporarily took me out of the game. Had they been smart and really tried to understand what I do, as well as my education, they wouldn't have done that. I'm now well over $100k, which is a pretty good standard of living. Most women don't know that because I don't drive a fancy car. I dress well, but not like a millionaire. If a woman wants stability with a good future, thats what I have to offer. Most women don't think very far ahead when deciding whether to date a man. Its a shame.
So, agreeing with your standard of what is doing well (I do agree six figures is doing quite/very well), what portion of women with a college degree would you say would date a man who made ~60K or less in his mid 30s?

Old 03-15-2014, 10:43 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I don't think you can say "most women." Depends a lot on the circles of women you're around and what you've been looking for.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
So, agreeing with your standard of what is doing well (I do agree six figures is doing quite/very well), what portion of women with a college degree would you say would date a man who made ~60K or less in his mid 30s?
I wasn't making any more than that and did manage to find a wife when I was in my early 30's. She was the wrong woman for me, but thats beside the point. I had no problem dating then. Now it seems to be more about money than it was 10 years ago. Not sure why. Maybe it has something to do with internet dating. I don't want a materialistic woman, but that does eliminate a lot of women in today's society. I could understand a woman expecting me to make a lot if I was ugly and out of shape, but I'm not. Anyway, it can be done, its just hard to find the right one.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't think you can say "most women." Depends a lot on the circles of women you're around and what you've been looking for.
Yeah, maybe. In Atlanta (a very materialistic city), it was most women. I would imagine in the midwest that may not be the case. I'd expect it in California or the Northeast though.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:03 AM

395 posts, read 546,433 times
You were associating with the wrong sort of female, then. Ladies are not for sale. And in the established wealthy of the South, a man with a high degree of education and culture making 50k is more desirable than a man with less credentials making thrice that. And sometimes it's just because people know the grandparents of one but not of the other. It can be cliquish and old fashioned that way. Money is not everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships