Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 01:54 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
So would most women not reply back if it was just a "Hi", or as one female poster said 'one sentence messages?

The women I know on OLD delete those in droves. Might as well just "wink". Total time wasting method, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 01:57 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylynh View Post
I thought Match.com was mostly guys wanting barbies and hook-ups? I thought eHarmony was the conservative one where most people want long-term relationships? Is that wrong?
When I did eHarmony, I found a lot of married men looking to cheat. I think it's because their wives can't "Search" for their profiles easily. Match for me has been men wanting to marry or at the very least jump two feet first into a committed, serious relationship.

I think it varies by age group and location.

Just started an OKC profile (same as my Match profile). A lot more traffic there and "Spam" messages of "hi" with nothing else or obvious "cut and paste" messages that are pretty generic. I might add to my profile, "If you want me to write back, tell me what 3x7=." Then I will know they actually read the profile and aren't just cut and paste spamming every woman on the site, lol. Even if he wrote, "I like you... and 21." I would at least know to respond. But I did have one man who "just wants to hang out and be friends first" message me. That's kind of what I am looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Well, don't disappoint God, he knows best. Maybe the other guy knows the first guy is your soul mate because God told him so he's hiding?

Online does attract a lot flakes. I had a few who claimed we were meant to be together.
If I had a dollar for every time a man said I was his soul mate before even meeting me... I'd have, well, about 10 dollars, but still that's a lot considering these guys have never met me and these are usually first messages.

I honestly don't know why I keep trying online... other than my social circle is pretty limited (most are married and know other married people). I am thinking after a month of OKCupid, I am going to give the online thing a break and try joining a lot of clubs and other organizations to see if I can meet someone more "organically." In the past, that always seemed to work best for me. In case anyone is wondering, I just don't have time to do both. If I online date, I need to leave my schedule open enough to plan dates. If I join a bunch of clubs and such... I won't have the time to online date anymore.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
most eharmony daters falsify their posts.
the assumption that if you put out a good false ad you will get good honest results is utter nonsense.
it carries over into job hunts read the CDF posts on frustration on job hunts---- same as dating.
lying gets you nowhere kids.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:17 PM

16 posts, read 15,170 times
[quote=jillabean;35747084]When I did eHarmony, I found a lot of married men looking to cheat. I think it's because their wives can't "Search" for their profiles easily. Match for me has been men wanting to marry or at the very least jump two feet first into a committed, serious relationship.

I think it varies by age group and location.

Just started an OKC profile (same as my Match profile). A lot more traffic there and "Spam" messages of "hi" with nothing else or obvious "cut and paste" messages that are pretty generic. I might add to my profile, "If you want me to write back, tell me what 3x7=." Then I will know they actually read the profile and aren't just cut and paste spamming every woman on the site, lol. Even if he wrote, "I like you... and 21." I would at least know to respond. But I did have one man who "just wants to hang out and be friends first" message me. That's kind of what I am looking for.

That's funny I get a ton of OKC guys that are 20 years old (I am 37) asking if I want to hang out, or hi babe lol.

I might have to try Match once my EHarmony membership is up in a couple of months. I did meet one guy off of OKC last year, but all he wanted was one thing. POF hasn't been that great either. And Christian Mingle has not been great at all!

Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
When I did eHarmony, I found a lot of married men looking to cheat. I think it's because their wives can't "Search" for their profiles easily.
Oh, that's hilarious! After all the trouble the site owners put in to prevent people using it for cheating or anything lightweight -- I think that's why they don't let you search, etc.

I bet someone has made an automated program that makes eharmony profiles. I can't imagine playas going through those zillions of questionnaire screens just to look for a little on the side.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:19 PM

Yeah I have seen a lot of bad profiles on eHarmony as well.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:20 PM

[quote=jennylynh;35747360][quote=jillabean;35747084]When I did eHarmony, I found a lot of married men looking to cheat. I think it's because their wives can't "Search" for their profiles easily. Match for me has been men wanting to marry or at the very least jump two feet first into a committed, serious relationship.

For some reason that last post of mine got messed up with the quote!

Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Match.com is for conservative people (although not as extremist as eharmony), so they wll likely be marriage-oriented. AFF is for fringe stuff -- BDSM, cheating, diapers, etc.

Have you tried OKC? It's the main place for casual relationships, I think. POF might also be worth a try, although it tends to attract sleazier people. Not always, though.

I mostly came across extreme jocks or plain joe couch potato types on Match.

Eharmony, lower class and less educated or looking for penpals only.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:33 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,602,524 times
I tried it for a while, years ago, when OLD was more in its infancy. As a man seeking women, here are some things I found:

1. A large chunk of guys in OLD are losers/creeps. It make things harder for us halfway decent guys to get a chance.
2. If a woman says she weighs 118, she's probably right. If she says she weighs 150, she weighs 200. If she says 200, she was probably a candidate for "My 600 Lb Life". Now, I'm not dissing overweight women, I actually dated some chubbier women in my time and find many of them attractive, and my wife and I both could stand to lose a few pounds. I just don't see the point in lying about it, since the moment you meet in person, it will be obvious you lied. Same goes for men lying about height, by the way.
3. "Independent" - commitment-phobic.
4. "Free spirit" - a drunk who will probably cheat on you.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:33 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I mostly came across extreme jocks or plain joe couch potato types on Match.

Eharmony, lower class and less educated or looking for penpals only.
I've known women who said there are busy businessman types on Match, who don't have time to date much. They really want a wife, but they're away on business trips a lot. Also heard that players go on Match just to score, then move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships