Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:45 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,012,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm very skeptical of this to say the least.
Well, that's how it works.

You are anti-relationships, but you don't know what a relationship is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times
Quote:
Where did you get laziness?
Because it takes literally ZERO effort to pursue your own interests, to base ALL your decisions on "your desires and no one else's."

Old 08-08-2014, 08:26 PM

37,718 posts, read 46,158,427 times
Quote:
Out of those you got of all things fear? I like to think out of those, I'm just a guy who knows what the he is doing in regards to dating.
LOL!!

Surely you don't believe what you just wrote.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:31 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,820,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Because it takes literally ZERO effort to pursue your own interests, to base ALL your decisions on "your desires and no one else's."
I totally disagree. Keeping your self interest in mind does require effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL!!

Surely you don't believe what you just wrote.
I know what is right for MYSELF in regards to dating.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:43 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,861,559 times
A good relationship/marriage will have plenty of SELFLESS moments. Theres really no room for selfish.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:55 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times
Quote:
I totally disagree. Keeping your self interest in mind does require effort.

Well, sure you do. You've trained yourself to believe that. And when you "always" get what you want, it seems like a reward that reinforces that belief.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:00 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,751,970 times
Nothing wrong with this: both people get what they want.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:20 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,117,086 times
If you wonder 'what's in it for me' about every event you enter into, in life, I would think your life would be very unhappy. I feel it is your responsibility to make any relationship you get into a happy experience. If it's not happy, you end that relationship and start over. If you are making a financial investment, you might ponder that question, but entering into a relationship isn't like a financial investment...

Old 08-09-2014, 01:46 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,274,839 times
Any type of relationship is about compromise, especially one that might turn into a marriage.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:08 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,570,105 times
Quote:
One thing I've heard a lot over the last few days here is it is very selfish to approach a relationship with a "what's in it for me" mindset. I have to wonder, why should relationships be any different from any other aspect in life where before you do something, you ask what you are going to get out of it for the price of whatever the hell you are giving up?

I feel with that statement, I'm being asked to cast aside ANY self-interest for the sake of "love" for another person and being asked to put up and tolerate whatever for another person. I feel that I should have the right to feel in a functioning relationship, I'm getting something out of the effort I'm putting into it and I should have the right to leave a relationship if I'm not feeling I'm getting enough of a rewards for what I'm putting into it.

Thoughts?
It's a given that we enter into relationships so we can get something out of it. Sadly, the whole selfless movement has turned that into something evil. It seems we are supposed to exist solely for the benefit of others in order to be deemed good people. It's bullshizz.

Still, there is no need to make a point of it. Again, it's a given. So, to start the acquainting process with "What's in it for me?" is off-putting. Anyone with half a brain knows you have to benefit. My response would be that it depends on what you're bringing to the table. I have lots to offer. You may or may not get it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships