Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:02 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I apologize if you felt insulted. I didn't realize self identified sociopaths cared what other posters thought.

I'm curious if you are seeing a therapist. Why do you identify as a sociopath?

I found it insulting as a matter of principal but I'm not "insulted" as in emotional... I am frustrated with the fact that you and other users are pointing to my character as the problem rather than addressing the arguments made.

I am not a sociopath like I said I exhibit some sociopath tendencies. I haven't been to a therapist and I doubt I would qualify for a diagnosis unless I acted up in order to achieve one (why would I?)

I identify with my sociopath tendencies because I can't change them. I was born this way and I think without regard for feelings most of the time. I just do what makes sense rationally for the outcome I want.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:04 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I found it insulting as a matter of principal but I'm not "insulted" as in emotional... I am frustrated with the fact that you and other users are pointing to my character as the problem rather than addressing the arguments made.

I am not a sociopath like I said I exhibit some sociopath tendencies. I haven't been to a therapist and I doubt I would qualify for a diagnosis unless I acted up in order to achieve one (why would I?)

I identify with my sociopath tendencies because I can't change them. I was born this way and I think without regard for feelings most of the time. I just do what makes sense rationally for the outcome I want.
Interesting.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:07 PM

138 posts, read 171,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
This does not a sociopath make. Probably more like an S and a T in your Meyers Briggs personality type. I'm an ENFP (real soft on the F, real strong on the E and the P). My guess is that you are an ISTJ or something close to that. They tend to interpret the data, draw conclusions, and develop action plans without a lot of regard for feelings. Just a thought.....

Old 08-21-2014, 02:08 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,551 times
I seriously think that people who assume everyone only cares about looks first are just projecting and can't imagine that anyone could possibly think differently than they do. Looks matter, no one denies that. And liking looks (or any other quality first) doesn't make a person shallow. What makes a person shallow is when they only care about one thing.

But how much looks matter is an individual taste. Some people put a higher priority on it than others. People who put a lot of effort into their own looks seem to, to my observation. But you can say that about any factor really... people who put a big amount of effort into fitness value fitness, people who put a lot of effort into financial responsibility, value financial responsibility, people who put effort into their own education, value education in a partner.

I'd say if you are running into women who care a lot about a man's looks, then they are probably women who put a lot of effort into their own looks.

I'd also argue (to a degree) it's a maturity thing too (where in high school guys and girls care mostly about looks... when they mature and get to their late 20s they usually realize that a pretty face might be nice, but it means nothing without substance).

Old 08-21-2014, 02:12 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I seriously think that people who assume everyone only cares about looks first are just projecting and can't imagine that anyone could possibly think differently than they do. Looks matter, no one denies that. And liking looks (or any other quality first) doesn't make a person shallow. What makes a person shallow is when they only care about one thing.

But how much looks matter is an individual taste. Some people put a higher priority on it than others. People who put a lot of effort into their own looks seem to, to my observation. But you can say that about any factor really... people who put a big amount of effort into fitness value fitness, people who put a lot of effort into financial responsibility, value financial responsibility, people who put effort into their own education, value education in a partner.

I'd say if you are running into women who care a lot about a man's looks, then they are probably women who put a lot of effort into their own looks.

I'd also argue (to a degree) it's a maturity thing too (where in high school guys and girls care mostly about looks... when they mature and get to their late 20s they usually realize that a pretty face might be nice, but it means nothing without substance).

Also, older people have probably dated someone who was all looks and very little substance. One of the best looking guys I dated casually was a total jerk. His looks did not make up for his personality flaws.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:36 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They don't go out looking for them, but when they come across them, some fall for them.
Sure people settle

Old 08-21-2014, 02:39 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post

I'd also argue (to a degree) it's a maturity thing too (where in high school guys and girls care mostly about looks... when they mature and get to their late 20s they usually realize that a pretty face might be nice, but it means nothing without substance)

largely true. it's a shame that men and women lose most of their looks very quickly after their late 20s so the average ugly person doesn't really get a chance until the attractive people have lost their looks.

At least us short and ugly guys can point to celebrities and say "hey that guy did it so can i". Of course that won't change our underlying talent or the fact that the celeb is 1 in a million, but maybe it will make some of us feel better while we're alone at night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships