Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2014, 08:55 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post
I always wonder what people who get assigned with holiday overnight shifts (or severe weather monitoring) at museums do to pass the time. It's possible somewhere in the Smithsonian there was a tiny group of Natural History curators having Thanksgiving dinner around the taxidermied animals today.

Gotta be spooky when no one's around.
Lol, stop watching Night at the Museum movies.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:59 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I know but I feel sorry that they can't be with their family.Seems greed overrules.My old job I had the option to work during holidays and get paid more, but that was when I was in my 20's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I agree. I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving day. I might need to run to the store tomorrow (for home improvement crap) but I definitely won't be going early.

I can see doctors needing to be on-call and such..but those that are on-call should get paid big bucks to do it.
My stand-by time pay, based on my hourly rate, comes to $2.50 per hour + holiday pay. If I go on a call it's double time and a half.
Recently the geniuses figured it would be cheaper to take the penalty hit rather than pay the over time. It was presented to us as "we want you to have more time with your family" so rather than being on stand-by for 14 hours it was cut to 8.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:06 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
My stand-by time pay, based on my hourly rate, comes to $2.50 per hour + holiday pay. If I go on a call it's double time and a half.
Recently the geniuses figured it would be cheaper to take the penalty hit rather than pay the over time. It was presented to us as "we want you to have more time with your family" so rather than being on stand-by for 14 hours it was cut to 8.
I heard about this, many who wanted the extra cash and to work now get jipped.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:15 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
So, why don't people get up in arms about the hotel, restaurant and gas station workers who have to work holidays? What about the football players and stadium staff? Just a thought.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:16 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm not going out until Saturday mainly to get ideas for my son.He's harder now that he is pre-teen.
My oldest (15) is hard to shop for. I think we are going to get him some computer parts to get him started...he's been wanting to build a computer.
My 2nd child is too easy...baseball bat, glove and a new hockey stick will hit his $$$ quota. I told him if he wants other stuff he's going to have to cut out the one or two of those high dollar items.
Daughter is easy. Clothes, boots, hair stuff and I think I'm going to get her theater tickets.
Youngest is hard. Not sure what we are getting him this year. Our Wii broke and he's been asking for a new one, so he might get that.

I need to get going on the shopping though!

Old 11-27-2014, 09:19 PM

837 posts, read 961,391 times
Quote:
Lol, stop watching Night at the Museum movies.
I'm not talking about security. I used to work at a history museum and ended up chatting with one of the conservationists that had to stay to watch over everything that's behind the walls (not for visitor display) during one of the major blizzards. I forgot to ask him if it was just him or if they got paired up.

The rooms upon rooms of bottled animals and cabinets of stuffed dead furry friends you don't get to see are way creepier to have to babysit overnight than the boring common spaces that security takes care of.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:24 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:
I may be misunderstanding your statement but, I'm talking about a roll dispersing energy as opposed to hitting a solid object and coming to an abrupt halt.

In a rollover if you are unrestrained you get banged around in the passenger compartment, you fly out a window or door. The vehicle lands on top of you or rolls over the top of you.

The sudden stop, like against a wall is rare. A truck hits you, the pinball effect would come into play.

In a crash there are often three collisions. First, the vehicle hits something. Second, the body hits car or ground. Third, the brain in the cranium cavity sloshes around. Which can cause injury. A seatbelt and airbags help to restrain and absorb that energy.

Seat belts and airbags may cause injury. However, without them the injuries are far worse.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020;37440620[B
]In a rollover if you are unrestrained you get banged around in the passenger compartment, you fly out a window or door[/b]. The vehicle lands on top of you or rolls over the top of you.

The sudden stop, like against a wall is rare. A truck hits you, the pinball effect would come into play.

In a crash there are often three collisions. First, the vehicle hits something. Second, the body hits car or ground. Third, the brain in the cranium cavity sloshes around. Which can cause injury. A seatbelt and airbags help to restrain and absorb that energy.

Seat belts and airbags may cause injury. However, without them the injuries are far worse.
Okay, I didn't misunderstand, I wasn't talking about unrestrained. Sudden stops are kind of frequent around here. People seem to be adept at hitting trees.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I heard about this, many who wanted the extra cash and to work now get jipped.
My company cheaps out everywhere they can.......yet it costs them more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
So, why don't people get up in arms about the hotel, restaurant and gas station workers who have to work holidays? What about the football players and stadium staff? Just a thought.
Seems the traditional activities on Thanksgiving are not a big deal. It becomes a big deal when a company traditionally closed on Thanksgiving decides to do business instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
My oldest (15) is hard to shop for. I think we are going to get him some computer parts to get him started...he's been wanting to build a computer.
My 2nd child is too easy...baseball bat, glove and a new hockey stick will hit his $$$ quota. I told him if he wants other stuff he's going to have to cut out the one or two of those high dollar items.
Daughter is easy. Clothes, boots, hair stuff and I think I'm going to get her theater tickets.
Youngest is hard. Not sure what we are getting him this year. Our Wii broke and he's been asking for a new one, so he might get that.

I need to get going on the shopping though!
This year we are picking out our own present then letting the other buy it. I can't talk the wife into buying me another laptop.
What's the budget for the computer build?

Old 11-27-2014, 10:21 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:
Okay, I didn't misunderstand, I wasn't talking about unrestrained. Sudden stops are kind of frequent around here. People seem to be adept at hitting trees.
Most common fatal crash around here is a single vehicle rollover. Next, would be two vehicle collision. Head on, and t-bone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships