Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 07:38 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,448,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I've seen only a few people calling the husband selfish. Are you sure you weren't reading the posts about another poster's acquaintances, in which the husband agreed to be the sperm donor but has nothing to do with the kid despite living with her?
I've counted at least half a dozen calling him everything from a-hole, to selfish, jerk, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 07:39 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,286,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I think some people here believe what a husband wants is secondary to what a wife wants. I'd be curious to see the responses here if it was some guy who had a change of heart about wanting kids but the wife was firmly against. My guess is you would see a lot of "her body, her choice" comments.
Again, where are you seeing all these comments? Most of the people that have commented admit it is a hard situation. Only a few outliers have called the husband selfish.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45 GUY View Post
Well, sometimes you have to make changes. It's a shame the single guys are the only ones who get that. I guess it's like they always say...."nice guys" aren't really nice at all. The decorated combat VET is a pushover and lets her be happy.

America.....HA!!
Excuse me, this is not a minor change. It's about as major as you can get. He's in his 40's and is probably thinking about retirement not changing diapers.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:43 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,154,762 times
Okay, have you changed your perspective any at all?

I dont mean your mind, but stepped back and looked at the situation logicly. You are both getting older. Raising a baby would bring a lot of stress on you both. At first, you have to get up every two hours at night to feed the child. Breastfeeding is really being pushed because of the health benefits to the child. Every 2 hours for how long?

Broken sleep is not rest. Combat soldiers live the same lifestyle in active war. Its not pretty.

How would you handle the baby being colicky, and practically screaming for the entire first year of its life?

Not to depress you more, but you are both approaching old age fast. You have 12 years until you are 50. Imagine being 50 and spending all your days with a 12 year old. When the child is 18, you will be 57, and approaching retirement. When they graduate from a 4 year degree program, you will be swiftly approaching collecting your first Social Security check. Think of the financial burden of a college loan at 61 or 62. Will you both be working into your eighties to pay it off?

There is also your age to consider. In all the time in your relationship, you became pregnant once, and miscarried at 14 weeks. That is a not-so-hot reproductive record. IF you manage to get pregnant again, will the child be born disabled? Will the pregnancy survive the testing to find out? Wouldnt that be even more pain stress on you - and also leave you with an even bigger sense of failure?

Maybe the problem is letting go of your youth? You are approaching a period in your life where no random person no matter how old they are is going to be saying, "She's a good kid!"

I would suggest taking up cycling. Endurance training. It gets your body in great shape, and gives you one last youthful hurrah before embracing this wonderful upcoming stage of your life.

I cant help but think given all the facts, that you are the one who is being selfish and impractical right now.

Your husband is thinking rationally. He's looking at reality, while you are caught up in a fantasy. If you feel leaving him is preferable, that's really up to you - but, take it another step then. Have you thought about the possility of winding up a middle-aged single mom? Wow, I would really be depressed if that would happen to me.

If you love your husband, celebrate your age, and get on with planning a lavish retirement with enough time to truely enjoy one another. That's the fantasy Ive been working on lately. Its very uplifting and gratifying too. I get to relive our youth together once again, IF we both live that long!

Let yourself go with the flow. Be happy!

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 09-25-2014 at 08:03 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 07:51 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,215,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Okay, have you changed your perspective any at all?

I dont mean your mind, but stepped back and looked at the situation logicly. You are both getting older. Raising a baby would bring a lot of stress on you both. At first, you have to get up every two hours at night to feed the child. Breastfeeding is really being pushed because of the health benefits to the child. Every 2 hours for how long?

Broken sleep is not rest. Combat soldiers live the same lifestyle in active war. Its not pretty.

Not to depress you more, but you are both approaching old age fast. You have 12 years until you are 50. Imagine being 50 and spending all your days with a 12 year old. When the child is 18, you will be 57, and approaching retirement. When they graduate from a 4 year degree program, you will be swiftly approaching collecting your first Social Security check. Think of the financial burden of a college loan at 61 or 62. Will you both be working into your eighties to pay it off?

There is also your age to consider. In all the time in your relationship, you became pregnant once, and miscarried at 14 weeks. That is a not-so-hot reproductive record. IF you manage to get pregnant again, will the child be born disabled? Will the pregnancy survive the testing to find out? Wouldnt that be even more pain stress on you - and also leave you with an even bigger sense of failure?

Maybe the problem is letting go of your youth? You are approaching a period in your life where no random person no matter how old they are is going to be saying, "She's a good kid!"

I would suggest taking up cycling. Endurance training. It gets your body in great shape, and gives you one less youthful hurrah before embracing this wonderful upcoming stage of your life.

I cant help but think given all the facts, that you are the one who is being selfish and impractical right now.

Your husband is thinking rationally. He's looking at reality, while you are caught up in a fantasy. If you feel leaving him is preferable, that's really up to you - but, take it another step then. Have you thought about the possility of winding up a middle-aged single mom? Wow, I would really be depressed if that would happen to me.

If you love your husband, celebrate your age, and get on with planning a lavish retirement with enough time to truely enjoy one another. That's the fantasy Ive been working on lately. Its very uplifting and gratifying too.

Let yourself go with the flow. Be happy!
Now you're thinking rationally and logically.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I've seen only a few people calling the husband selfish. Are you sure you weren't reading the posts about another poster's acquaintances, in which the husband agreed to be the sperm donor but has nothing to do with the kid despite living with her?
"But for me life with a man but no kid is not worth at all. you are not being selfish but he is."

"He sounds like a complete A--. Millions of people have children and raise them on their own. It isn't the not having a child that is destroying you, it is his callous inconsiderate reactions to your change of heart. Stop giving him this power.....You have to take your power back."

"Yes, it is selfish at this point"

These are just a few. I also think the ones saying to fake using birth control in the hope he'll "come around" are just as bad.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:01 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,063,024 times
Quote:
My Dad was 36 1/2 when I was born. I'm glad he didn't think logically. My grandpa was 33 when my Dad was born. I'm glad he didn't either.

So they were younger, and their wives were probably younger. I can't imagine keeping up with a senior in high school when I'm 58 or so, nor could I imagine trying to be in my last few years before retirement paying tuition.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Retirement at 40 in 2014? lol You're gonna work at least until age 70.....at least. Besides that, who's going to clean out your gutters, mow your lawn, change your diapers and feed you? That kid might be the only wheels you have later on as well. It would be nice to avoid the nursing home by having a kid that helps.
LOL, 70? I'm on target to retire at 56, though I might go a year or two more. Oh and there's the usual "who will take care of you when you get old" nonsense. My grandmother died in a nursing home last year and I visited her when I could. Most of the people there had few visitors. There is absolutely no gaurantee that having kids mean they will be there to take care of you. What if they are living 1000 miles away or overseas?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:02 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,215,414 times
Quote:
My Dad was 36 1/2 when I was born. I'm glad he didn't think logically. My grandpa was 33 when my Dad was born. I'm glad he didn't either.
I'm glad you're here alive and hopefully well, but when there's no life ever conceived obviously there's no human entity to ever say like what you said.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:07 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,289,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie4life View Post
Sorry you're in such a difficult situation. I don't think either of you are being selfish, unfortunately it's just something you two can't agree on. However, I don't think after 15 years together and 3 years of pleading he couldn't atleast give you 1! It's not like you're asking him a lot of children, jmo.
This is so foolish I can't even begin.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But that Q could be asked of any couple that has an agreement to not have kids. Why leave the option open, along with the risk of a surprise? Why put the woman through jerking her body around with hormones, or the guy using condoms? If there's an agreement, then both can get the operation. Why don't more people do this, instead of relying on birth control?

It's a really good question.
I don't want children, but I would not have a hysterectomy and throw myself into early menopause. That messes with your hormones, too. I would rather cross that bridge when I came to it. And...most docs won't perform a hysterectomy on a healthy female under a certain age.

Quote:
The Ops husband is (pardon me) a horses ass...plain and simple.

Make her cry and beg for something a husband should do at random and free will?

What a jerk.....lose this clown dear and find a better MAN!!
I wonder if people read the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships