Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:25 AM

780 posts, read 682,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
She's been your GF for 3 years. You should be able to say "Sweetie, it seems to me you aren't very excited about the birth of little Hortensia. Why is that?".
^This.

Everyone can discuss what we think of her, of you, of your relationship, but it doesn't resolve or clarify anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 11:14 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
So as of last week, I am uncle for the first time and parents are now grandparents! My brother and his wife's baby was just born. My mom has been sending pics all to her friends and family and everyone has responded with such congratulatory remarks. Even strangers offered congratulations when it got discussed in public. Everyone seems to be so happy...but not my GF.

We've been together for 3 years (live together) and while she has had some issues with my family, they have been nothing but nice to her in the past several months. But I am shocked she has not even asked me about the baby when I went to meet her for the first time. As far as I know, she has not offered any congratulations to my brother and my mom has sent everyone a few pics, her included, all would respond but her! My mom is furious about her lack of interest and thinks she's being selfish because of the past. my GF is known to love babies but because she doesn't like my brother's wife I wonder if that's the reason....

I don't even know how to address it, which is one reason why I'm resorting to an online forum...I don't even know how to broach, "lets go see the baby!" without expecting her to give a moody face. This is an innocent baby we're talking about. But frankly I find the whole issue hypocritical as I've gone her nephew's, niece's, friend of friend's baby events (none of these are blood related to her).

She has not flat out said no yet, but considering she hasn't asked me anything about the baby and hasn't responded to any picture emails, I have to no idea even how to broach the subject...
Sounds like the issue isn't about the baby but problems that lay between you and her and she's emotionally detaching slowly..

Old 05-07-2015, 02:44 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,221,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugster43 View Post
I agree. I don't have grandkids yet but I can imagine I would be way more excited about that than a random relative's new baby. I don't get too over the edge about babies/kids.
Same for me. Not to say some babies aren't cute. But I usually think that when the show on tv or something. I don't openly gush over babies, or care to see pix of kids. Don't hate the kids. Just not interested. As a joke in Friends where Phoebe and some strange women both tell Rachel it's annoying when parents put babies on the phone to talk lol

So I don't think there's a problem with the girlfriend. She just isn't interested in the child of a non relative and one she doesn't like on top of it. There's no obligation for her to gush like everyone else. And who knows, the ones gushing are probably just being nice in some cases.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:20 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,241,950 times
The way that you completely dismiss your mom and family's behavior OP, I genuinely hope that this girlfriend can move on from you and find happiness and conflict free relationships elsewhere.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:48 AM

718 posts, read 618,262 times
Seriously, what's your girlfriends' phone number? Because someone needs to call that girl up and talk some sense into her.

If I were her, I would've dumped you and your lunatic family a long time ago. Man up and tell your mother to back off -- you're a grown a** adult, act like it. Or move back in with mom, and tell the GF to find someone who has stopped letting mommy iron his underpants. She doesn't need to be excited over anything she isn't excited for. Absolutely ridiculous that you and your family feel like you're entitled to a monopoly over her emotions.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:35 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,505,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
Seriously, what's your girlfriends' phone number? Because someone needs to call that girl up and talk some sense into her.

If I were her, I would've dumped you and your lunatic family a long time ago. Man up and tell your mother to back off -- you're a grown a** adult, act like it. Or move back in with mom, and tell the GF to find someone who has stopped letting mommy iron his underpants. She doesn't need to be excited over anything she isn't excited for. Absolutely ridiculous that you and your family feel like you're entitled to a monopoly over her emotions.
This wins the internet today! Bravo!

Old 05-08-2015, 01:07 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,252,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post

Yep. Can't rep you enough for this.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:04 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,851,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
She is not your wife, and therefore not family. Why should she be invested?
This pretty much sums it up for me. GF is not family... OP, tell your mom so she knows this.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:13 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,696,167 times
The girlfriend sounds like the jealous and possessive type. She wants you, all of you, every minute, every second. I went out with a few guys like this. People like this need to find someone else just like them, so they can go off and live in their little cave with one another.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:37 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,691,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
So as of last week, I am uncle for the first time and parents are now grandparents! My brother and his wife's baby was just born. My mom has been sending pics all to her friends and family and everyone has responded with such congratulatory remarks. Even strangers offered congratulations when it got discussed in public. Everyone seems to be so happy...but not my GF.

We've been together for 3 years (live together) and while she has had some issues with my family, they have been nothing but nice to her in the past several months. But I am shocked she has not even asked me about the baby when I went to meet her for the first time. As far as I know, she has not offered any congratulations to my brother and my mom has sent everyone a few pics, her included, all would respond but her! My mom is furious about her lack of interest and thinks she's being selfish because of the past. my GF is known to love babies but because she doesn't like my brother's wife I wonder if that's the reason....

I don't even know how to address it, which is one reason why I'm resorting to an online forum...I don't even know how to broach, "lets go see the baby!" without expecting her to give a moody face. This is an innocent baby we're talking about. But frankly I find the whole issue hypocritical as I've gone her nephew's, niece's, friend of friend's baby events (none of these are blood related to her).

She has not flat out said no yet, but considering she hasn't asked me anything about the baby and hasn't responded to any picture emails, I have to no idea even how to broach the subject...
Looks like you are stuck in the middle of women who are passively feuding. Just remember, you can't change the way people act, you can only change the way you react towards them. Stop freaking out about things you can't control. You are not responsible for anyone's actions but your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships