Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:03 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,882,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
She's been your GF for 3 years. You should be able to say "Sweetie, it seems to me you aren't very excited about the birth of little Hortensia. Why is that?".
If you can't discuss simple stuff like this 3 years in, you're not ready for a more serious commitment. You say you're afraid to broach it, because you're afraid she'll give you a moody face? So what? Dude, if she can hold you at bay that easily, you need some man-up lessons. Or a new gf. Or both.

Last edited by NewbiePoster; 05-10-2015 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 11:06 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,570,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
I don't even know how to address it, ...
I do.
Dump her.
No reasonable person acts like this.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:01 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,211,967 times
For those who didn't bother with the backstory:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel
Long story short, I am now the black sheep of my family because I've been with a girl for almost 3 years and there's certain aspects of her personality my family dislikes. She has also been insulted by them behind her back numerous times so every time she's around (or we are), they put up a facade and pretend like everything is hunky dory. We're all moved out at this point so it's not that often that we all see each other.

-Brother and his wife get a new house in the summer. My Mom is furious because my GF doesn't have the time to see it or is unaware she would feel uncomfortable over there. His wife has been nasty to my GF in the past though everyone looks at his wife as the second coming of Christ. When I'm with the rest of the family, all they ever talked about was the house. Even on my birthday, my parents had me over with my brother but instead of all that was going on about me, they talked about the house 90% of the time. we were ignored most of the time. My Mom harasses me about my GF not seeing the house all the time (I've seen it 4-5 times by myself).

- Brother and his wife are having a baby next April. My GF's father has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is on his death bed. Her family may be losing the house he lives in. On top of that, we're both really busy with work and I'm going to grad classes 4 times a week at night. My mom is complaining that my GF hasn't sent them a congratulatory note or any acknowledgement....

- Because of my GF's father probably having his last THanksgiving this year, I decided to spend the whole holiday with her family. My mom still put up a fight. To show the double standard, my sister spent the holiday with her fiance's family the whole and she did not put up a fight on that front.

- My mom finds it appalling that my GF simply doesn't like my brother's wife, despite them being cordial enough in front of each other.

Overall, sounds like my family (mom in particular) is trying to make situations that cause conflict between my GF and I. It's destroying me emotionally.
Not sure why OP is surprised at GF's reaction.
Time to act like a grown man, OP, and tell your mom to back off. Or let the poor GF go find someone who actually loves her enough to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships