Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 12:47 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Like the OP, I too have given up dating. It is exhausting, tiresome, and not worth the effort and work. I live alone and sometimes my friends and family visit me. I have a dog and she's easier to be around lol. I've tried the whole dating scenario and now wish I never did. I see where she's coming from.
If you take sex out of the equation, I'd guess that a lot of men would prefer the company of their dogs over women.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:53 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,990,287 times
I wish you the best Sweet. I know when I've given up dating, I do that, just not date period. For me the cliche "you'll find someone when you least suspect it" has never worked. I would just continue to have an active social life.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:55 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
I commend the OP for being honest with herself. IMHO, I think there are lots of women and men like her. They really don't care about the other person. They may want the security of someone else. They may not like being alone all the time. They may want children. So they partner up with a person they really don't care about, but the partnership gets them the other things they want.

I commend the OP for not marrying some guy you really don't care about, just because its the thing to do.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I commend the OP for being honest with herself. IMHO, I think there are lots of women and men like her. They really don't care about the other person. They may want the security of someone else. They may not like being alone all the time. They may want children. So they partner up with a person they really don't care about, but the partnership gets them the other things they want.

I commend the OP for not marrying some guy you really don't care about, just because its the thing to do.
Oh, I'm not saying that at all. I would never be with someone who I didn't care about just so I wouldn't be alone. I cared about the person who I dated longest, we just weren't in love with each other.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:21 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times
After ten years of not so wedded bliss, I tried real hard to date. I think that was my problem.

Trying too hard.

After all of that compromise & sacrifice, it was difficult to just "flip the switch" or "get back on the horse."

My divorce was and is still painful, and I'm simply not ready to give myself up yet. While I have met some really nice ladies that I would normally "pursue" if circumstances were different, I'm just not getting that "spark."

You know, like pining for someone while daydreaming at work, maybe giving a gal a phone call just before bedtime, etc.

It was just a couple of weeks ago that I invited a very nice lady over for a home cooked meal (I'm pretty damned good in the kitchen), and it felt like a chore. I just wasn't into it. I actually preferred to sit pool side with a good cigar and a bucket of beer....and yes.....with my dog at my feet.

I s'pose there's a lot of divorced guys my age (51), that want someone to take care of them and their pee-pee too, but I'm not one of 'em.

I enjoy this quiet house and I'm not going to make any changes anytime soon.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:25 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
If you take sex out of the equation, I'd guess that a lot of men would prefer the company of their dogs over women.
I still want sex though.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I still want sex though.
Right, but if you don't want it with your dog, you'll still have to deal with women. lol

Old 05-09-2015, 02:25 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Right, but if you don't want it with your dog, you'll still have to deal with women. lol
That's gross lol. I deal with women everyday. At school and at work. I just haven't seen any I'd really want to approach.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:31 PM

9,102 posts, read 6,327,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well it is impossible to have a connection with someone you don't know. That's for starters.
I think a distinction here has to be made between total strangers and familiar strangers. I agree that it is impossible to develop a connection with a total stranger but in the case of a familiar stranger (defined as a stranger one sees on a regular basis) it may be possible to become strongly attracted to them due to their mannerisms and demeanor.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:59 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Perhaps we all should just back off and let OP live in solitude with her cat. I mean, the stereotype exists for a reason.
Aye. No emotional connection with another human being except for parents? That's not "asexuality." That's sociopathy, and it comes from a lack of empathy. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships