Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 01:23 PM

52 posts, read 45,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Small chance it will work out? 65-70% of first marriages work out.

And why does he risk all he's acquired, but not her? Divorce agreements, in the off chance they occur, only split assets acquired during marriage (which is a partnership). Not the stuff before.

And most people marry someone similar age and at a similar professional level and education level. So, marry someone that earns about the same amount, and the fears are gone.

No bubble to burst!

(And I'm not sure you get how rates work, people not getting married don't affect divorce rates other than people that shouldn't have gotten married choose not to get married in the first place... that's a good thing).
Not entirely true. My home will be paid off in a few years and I'm in my 30's. If I marry after paying it off, and divorce, any increase in value would be subject to division in divorce which is very unfair considering I made the sacrifice to be mortgage free in my 30's and could end up with a mortgage again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 01:24 PM

491 posts, read 402,692 times
My grandmother always said, if you marry for money, you'll earn every penny of it.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:25 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetelle View Post
My grandmother always said, if you marry for money, you'll earn every penny of it.
love this...great saying!

Old 06-30-2015, 01:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Marriage is a civil contract drawn up government. Not just between two people. Otherwise a law would draw it up as the people agreed to.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:28 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobarX View Post
Not entirely true. My home will be paid off in a few years and I'm in my 30's. If I marry after paying it off, and divorce, any increase in value would be subject to division in divorce which is very unfair considering I made the sacrifice to be mortgage free in my 30's and could end up with a mortgage again.

That increase would occur during the marriage, correct? Then of course it is 50/50, it is wealth accumulated during the marriage.

If you don't like 50/50 splits of assets accumulated during the marriage, don't get married. Or sell your house and buy one together. Simple.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
That increase would occur during the marriage, correct? Then of course it is 50/50, it is wealth accumulated during the marriage.

If you don't like 50/50 splits of assets accumulated during the marriage, don't get married. Or sell your house and buy one together. Simple.
I mean - that's the thing. Marriage isn't something that happens to you. It's not something that you catch from a public toilet. If it's not for you - simply don't get married.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:34 PM

491 posts, read 402,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I mean - that's the thing. Marriage isn't something that happens to you. It's not something that you catch from a public toilet. If it's not for you - simply don't get married.
Lol. Or, if the poster is that fixated on the value of the house or the retirement fund or the other marital assets... there are many attorneys who will happily prepare a prenuptial agreement to address these exigencies.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:35 PM

1,917 posts, read 1,279,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Were you both good at communicating with each other? From the very beginning? How long did you date her before you got married? Most of the people that I know that had unsuccessful marriages either ignored problems from back when they were dating, didn't communicate, and just let things slide hoping they would just get better on their own.

How do you know who caused the divorces? I've never seen any articles, statistics or anything about who caused divorces. Filing is not the same thing as causing. Many times it is the woman that files because they are the ones that take care of the paperwork - but that has nothing to do with who caused the divorce or even who wanted the divorce.
Omg, I'm not making this up. Do a little research. A divorce is not a divorce until it is filed. I'm not understanding what you mean.
Uplifting Love: 80 Percent of Divorces Are Filed By Women
Divorced Women In America On The Rise, According To New Research
Kleinfeld: Most of the time, wife initiates divorce | Alaska Dispatch News

Old 06-30-2015, 01:36 PM

52 posts, read 45,264 times
Quote:
But what work and sacrifice did that person do to get that? Absolutely nothing other than marrying me. The only reason that wealth existed was because of my sacrifices, not theirs, so if a relationship with me ends then so do the benefits of my hard work. Ultimately your views depend on your work ethic. I could never leave a marriage with 50/50 unless I contributed 50.

Quote:
Oh, I know, which is why I'm smart enough not to get married

Old 06-30-2015, 01:37 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
No one has to get married, and some people are indeed better off not getting married. Men have been on marriage strike for a decade or longer and today you see the effects in how many unmarried people there are and how many of those who are not interested at tying the knot. Im a little sad for those who WOULD possibly want to be married, given they had the right partner, but choose not to, due to unfair family courts that have destroyed millions of mens' lives. Its modern day slavery, it is all it is. Women know it too. I have read dozens if not 100s of accounts of young men getting married, and quickly realizing that their wife not only knew that she had the young husband by the balls, but was very clear in communicating as much. Its a raw deal, in todays family court climate, unless you dont mind being a slave. For those who are happily married, by some strike of luck, best of luck to you - be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships