Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 02:06 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Maybe they thought you were too beautiful to be true.

I have to confess, I tended to ignore messages from those I considered way out of my league... figured it was probably a scam. Maybe too much good looks can work against a person too.
I'm sure that's true, but it's a challenge I'd welcome for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 02:18 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
Of course pictures make the profile....it's tough to even get interest when there is no picture, so it's silly to believe that attractiveness doesn't open doors. Once they check out the profile, if it's sparse, it really doesn't matter how good looking they are...but if the profile has substance, then interest is sparked. What you write in the profile will determine what type of response you get.
If you sign up for eHarmony, but don't pay, you can't see pictures. When you can't see pictures on that site, pretty much every single profile reads exactly the same way.

Quote:

I have to confess, I tended to ignore messages from those I considered way out of my league... figured it was probably a scam. Maybe too much good looks can work against a person too.
I'd like to think that's the case.

I know from my experiments during my stint as an A-list member and being able to do searches based on attractiveness, the matches they were sending me via email, Quickmatch etc, were those who were considered average and below. I know that in the past, they have been in the news for only exposing those profiles to members who "ranked" the same or below in looks. So, if you are a 5, you only see those who are a five and below. The men who were above average and "hot" didn't come up in searches for me unless I specifically searched for that level of attractiveness and nothing else.

So, it stands to reason that if I'm only being shown the average and below, I myself am only average or below. And from that perspective, I can see a really good picture being suspicious.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:55 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,089 times
Looks do matter in OLD! It's a painful truth unfortunately!

Old 10-14-2015, 04:02 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:

I didn't ignore them. Turns out they were all real. But they had MAJOR personality issues or were just super weird.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:30 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I didn't ignore them. Turns out they were all real. But they had MAJOR personality issues or were just super weird.
Same. One guy had like this gorgeous modeling shot and I was like, "Um yeah, he's definitely fake" so I asked him to send me a picture in a special pose so that I'd know it was really him, and he did. (So then, of course I agreed to meet him). Turns out the gorgeous modeling photo was a little old though, so he wasn't quite as hot in person. Also, he was married, but he failed to mention that.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:41 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,641 times
I'm guessing these 15 women that messaged you where the most desirable and hottest women in your location?

Old 10-14-2015, 05:13 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I got 15 messages in one day asking to talk to me. Meanwhile using my real photo I got 0 responses so far in a few months with the same profile.

People saying it's all about your profile and what you write are full if it. It's all about your pic and how you look..
This is NOT TRUE.

I always read profiles.

I don't have a pic on mine for professional/security reasons and I respect others wishing the same.

If anything, you're attracting the douchey women of that site, and sounds like you deserve to.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:17 PM

507 posts, read 443,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I got 15 messages in one day asking to talk to me. Meanwhile using my real photo I got 0 responses so far in a few months with the same profile.

People saying it's all about your profile and what you write are full if it. It's all about your pic and how you look..
I don't know who told you otherwise, but OLD is mostly about pictures. If someone doesn't find your picture attractive, your chances of a response are very low. Likewise, if you're very photogenic and the pictures look recent and good, you'll have people writing to you, even if you're not really a match.

So, either take better pictures--have a buddy take them--or take some tips from your friend in terms of style and grooming.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:32 PM

282 posts, read 219,408 times
I never ever send anything first even winks when I was online dating. I just wait for them to contact me. I am an EOD (equal opportunity dater) back then. So you really must be so hideous for me not to reply to you. By hideous I mean your pics or profile.

I rarely don't reply though.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:27 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennia View Post
I don't know who told you otherwise, but OLD is mostly about pictures. If someone doesn't find your picture attractive, your chances of a response are very low. Likewise, if you're very photogenic and the pictures look recent and good, you'll have people writing to you, even if you're not really a match.

So, either take better pictures--have a buddy take them--or take some tips from your friend in terms of style and grooming.
My style and grooming is fine it's probably my unattractive face that's the problem lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships