Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 02:03 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
No, it's not. As you mentioned, he's an employee, at work. Or possibly married.

And even if you assume he'd turn her down later, there are a LOT of guys who probably wouldn't.

The popular belief isn't that men, "all go for women who throw themselves at them". The catch, as always, is "many" (or some other equally operative word) vs "all".
Of course. And that was my point. Too often on this forum, "facts" about how one or the other sex behaves have been stated in absolute terms. In fact, I recall an exchange you and I had once, not too long after you'd begun actively posting here a year or so ago, in which you stated as a given that men would at least talk to a woman approaching them, at the very least to see if an opportunity for sex might be presenting itself. But that's not at all true, as many women's experience shows. My post was simply to refute the "all" implicit and often explicit, in these beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 02:12 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Of course. And that was my point. Too often on this forum, "facts" about how one or the other sex behaves have been stated in absolute terms. In fact, I recall an exchange you and I had once, not too long after you'd begun actively posting here a year or so ago, in which you stated as a given that men would at least talk to a woman approaching them, at the very least to see if an opportunity for sex might be presenting itself. But that's not at all true, as many women's experience shows. My post was simply to refute the "all" implicit and often explicit, in these beliefs.
There's really no point in refuting absolutes, as the people who believe in such are not the type to be swayed of their opinion.

I'm also of the impression that you're remembering our interaction in the light that you wanted to see it, rather than what happened. I've been around the internet way too long to use absolutes myself. I comment on the scenario that you refer to and many others with very cautious words specifically to avoid people with opinions like yours who pop out to "refute" the opinion by exception. Instances where I don't are responses to other people in a back-and-forth where we already know the segment to whom the other refers, and thus, can save ourselves the time and effort of all the "tend to's", "mosts", and "majorities".

If that's not what you're doing here, then I'm mistaken, but it certainly looks like it.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:14 PM

260 posts, read 239,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I observed a woman talking to a store manager today.

Here is what I noticed...

She came in the store with her hair up in a bun.
She had on a long coat to her knees.
After the manage greets her she tells him a story on this project she is building. She hint it's hard for her to cut the wood and 1) doesn't want to ask her EX husband for help.
When the two of them come back up to the counter 2) her hair is now down and she's running her fingers through her hair with her head back.
Then when the manager asks if she needs anything else she says: 3) I have a bottle of wine. 4) My kids are at my Mom's and 5) I have this on... (She steps back and shows a red night gown under her coat.

"Good for you." "Those look comfy." The manager says. Lol!!

Ladies: What are some hints you sent or threw?

Guys: What hints have to missed?
Guys don't miss hints. I'll tell you why we don't respond to them often.

Because if a woman gives us what we perceive as a hint, and we respond to it- it then being revealed as NOT being a hint- then the woman gets angry and says what pigs guys are and how she was only being friendly. Not to mention possible sexual harassment charges and other things. If it goes wrong for us, the 6'1 200 pound man is going to be looked upon less favorably than the 5'3 120 pound woman. A random woman could do or say just about anything to a guy (if she's reasonably good looking) and the guy will never report her or drag her name through the mud because he's a guy and we like the attention. I had a female manager when I worked at Dunkin donuts who grabbed my butt once. Why'd she do that? Because she knows even though we didn't have that kind of relationship, that I wasn't gonna say anything. It didn't even bother me.

Women can just tell a guy what she wants, but as a general rule they won't. These "hints" get thrown out that if we misread (falsely ignore OR wrongly respond positively) we are bad guys. Is that a gamble you want to take? I sure don't.

You can be direct or adios

Old 01-06-2016, 02:34 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times
Hints I've given that he never picked up on:

I say "These huge bags of cat litter are so heavy, I'm just going to least them here at the top of the basement steps."
His response: "okay." And lets them sit there for days.

I say "Yuck, the kitchen trash really stinks."
His response: "yeah it does" and sprays air freshener.

(Referring to all these catalogs that come in the mail) "I like to fold down the pages of the things I like, then if I ever decide to splurge, I'll remember what I liked."
His response (every Christmas and birthday): "You are so hard to shop for! I have no idea what to get you."

I put the pile of stuff he needs to take to work the next day on the table by the front door, with his car keys right on top.
His response: (emails me at work during the day) "Oh no! I forgot the ___! you should have reminded me!"

Some men are just unconscious about hints, even when they are glaringly obvious.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:38 PM

505 posts, read 369,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have pretty much thrown myself on guys and they didn't notice. I went out of my way to talk to them, smiled, flirted, ... and they didn't notice!!!!!
I would have picked up on that the very first second and taken you out on the back on the Ducati to a hillside where we would have wine, cheese and crackers.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:42 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Hints I've given that he never picked up on:

I say "These huge bags of cat litter are so heavy, I'm just going to least them here at the top of the basement steps."
His response: "okay." And lets them sit there for days.

I say "Yuck, the kitchen trash really stinks."
His response: "yeah it does" and sprays air freshener.

(Referring to all these catalogs that come in the mail) "I like to fold down the pages of the things I like, then if I ever decide to splurge, I'll remember what I liked."
His response (every Christmas and birthday): "You are so hard to shop for! I have no idea what to get you."

I put the pile of stuff he needs to take to work the next day on the table by the front door, with his car keys right on top.
His response: (emails me at work during the day) "Oh no! I forgot the ___! you should have reminded me!"

Some men are just unconscious about hints, even when they are glaringly obvious.
It's very possible that he noticed the first two, but chose to ignore them. The third one is rough, though!

Old 01-06-2016, 02:45 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Is there a reason a woman cannot take out the trash purchase her own items out of a magazine or move the cat litter?
No there is not and there is no reason a woman cannot just ask her husband to do whatever it is instead of playing these stupid little games. Straight forward, to the point, clear, concise, saves a lot of time, energy and frustration for all involved.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:48 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,210,304 times
Women are women, but why are not 'guys' men anymore? Why are women sometimes 'guys'?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:49 PM

930 posts, read 700,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I observed a woman talking to a store manager today.

Here is what I noticed...

She came in the store with her hair up in a bun.
She had on a long coat to her knees.
After the manage greets her she tells him a story on this project she is building. She hint it's hard for her to cut the wood and 1) doesn't want to ask her EX husband for help.
When the two of them come back up to the counter 2) her hair is now down and she's running her fingers through her hair with her head back.
Then when the manager asks if she needs anything else she says: 3) I have a bottle of wine. 4) My kids are at my Mom's and 5) I have this on... (She steps back and shows a red night gown under her coat.

"Good for you." "Those look comfy." The manager says. Lol!!

Ladies: What are some hints you sent or threw?

Guys: What hints have to missed?
How do you know the guy wasn't married or in a committed LTR? Maybe this woman is a stalker and he politely shrugs off her aggressive advances on a regular basis in the name of remaining professional while at his job.

It also seems a little odd that a woman would come off the street and be this sexually direct with a complete stranger she has just met. I'm not quite sure I believe that this was as flirtatious an encounter as you are making it out to be. But what do I know...

Old 01-06-2016, 02:52 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Is there a reason a woman cannot take out the trash purchase her own items out of a magazine or move the cat litter?
No there is not and there is no reason a woman cannot just ask her husband to do whatever it is instead of playing these stupid little games. Straight forward, to the point, clear, concise, saves a lot of time, energy and frustration for all involved.

I just gave those examples from my relationship. I did almost all of the housework (not exaggerating) but his chosen "jobs" were to take out the trash and carry the heavy stuff. and maybe scoop the liter boxes about 1 time in 5. I had long given up on him doing anything else. And with the gift thing, he'd always complain he didn't know what to get me, and I'd say I could make him a list if that would help. But then he'd say "No, that takes all the fund out of it, and you won't be surprised." I would even do an Amazon wish list, and he knew my log-in, but he would think to look there. So a few days after Christmas I'd order a few things for myself and he'd be all upset "why didn't you tell me before Christmas? I hate that you have to buy stuff for yourself when I could have gotten it for you! Waaaah!"

I don't see how a friendly hint is a "stupid little game." If I said "please take the trash out" or "put these in the basement" then I'd be accused of nagging. And it's not like the hints are cryptic. If someone held their nose and said the trash smelled, and I was the designated trash-taker-outer, I'd just take it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships