Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 01:51 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So does this seem to be the consensus on dating among your age group?
I see a lot of younger women, my sons and nephews date, that definitely aren't interested in cleanliness, dont know how to work a stove, etc. They tend to be more of a friends with benefits situation although its their girlfriend. Often these girls arent very employed either tho. I'm just wonder if this is the trend, really no expectations other than being in the present. Of course I also see the relationships not lasting long.
There is no consensus. Just stating what I would be looking for. There are plenty of my friends who want traditional women. I'm a progressive and want a progressive woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 01:52 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No it isn't false but you appear to believe it so it must be true. I am not going to argue with you so whatever you believe is whatever you believe.
You also seem to be under the impression that simply because someone disagrees with something, they must practice its opposite.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:54 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I can't speak for other guys, but that sounds horrible.

Just because one option doesn't appear preferable doesn't mean the opposite is required.

But to tone down your post a bit, I'd prefer a sharing of major decisions, am indifferent on surnames, and otherwise yes....all of that sounds great.
Thanks for your input. Perhaps its location and the looming religious expectations but I still see that alot in couples over say 18-20 years old. Not so much in those younger.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:54 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
On the serious side, I have no problem with an initial meet & greet over coffee, like when you meet someone from a dating site for the first time. You assess whether there's any potential and go from there. I don't really consider that a date. I wouldn't consider someone who got there early, already drank half his coffee, and is currently reading as very enthusiastic about meeting me, either. Maybe I am just picturing it wrong, or maybe it's all those years of my mother telling me how rude it is to read at the table when other people are with me.

If we've already met in person and coffee is an "You seem interesting and I'd like to get to know you better" opener, like someone in my class or at the gym, I imagine we would be meeting there in the immediate future. We're chatting and hey, would I like to go grab coffee? That's a date, albeit a small one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Who the said anything about sex?! I consider dating a serious investment of my limited resources of time and money. I'm looking for companionship. I get p$&@ed when a date goes nowhere like any other time I invest something dear to me only to have it not work out. I don't see why that makes me such a b$&tard.
Why do you get mad? Do you expect every date to work out? That's crazy! You must be a high schooler who thought they'd meet their one love for senior prom and live happily ever after! So on top of wasting all your precious time - darn if there were still mail-order brides with all your requirements listed that could be ticked off! - you wasted all your money too. Because unless she meets your FINAL objectives, there is absolutely no value in a pleasant date? And guys talk women down because they're only wanting to get their hooks in a man!

I can only imagine your absolute RAGE when you've dated a woman for 6 MONTHS and you find out she's not the one! Oh, but wait - you can tell in the first 60 seconds so that would never happen? You'll have kicked her to the curb BEFORE she can even order the coffee you don't want to pay for?

How many second or third dates do you go on? Do you ever get to 5 dates?

Old 03-15-2016, 01:55 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Never mind the above, I find CAO as being intentionally obtuse. "Ignorant" doesn't mean "stupid" either, but it does in the context that many people use it. If they're going to stick with maintaining it as a neutral remark, then so be it. I read it otherwise.
Then again, focusing on one specific semantic within a greater idea is basically a way to intimate that the entire idea is B.S., in an attempt to pretend what the person said couldn't possibly be valid

Right?

So I suppose we none of us have pure motives 100% of the time, now do we?

Old 03-15-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thanks for your input. Perhaps its location and the looming religious expectations but I still see that alot in couples over say 18-20 years old. Not so much in those younger.
I see variations of everything. People want what they want. It's probably beginning something of a cultural shift, but those things are slow, and not always necessarily for the better (though I'm not complaining, in this case!)

Old 03-15-2016, 01:59 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
There is no consensus. Just stating what I would be looking for. There are plenty of my friends who want traditional women. I'm a progressive and want a progressive woman.
Well that didn't help.
Well maybe it did. So there is no one answer. You are either progressive, traditional or a hypocrite when it comes to dating and relationships. Nothing has changed.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Then again, focusing on one specific semantic within a greater idea is basically a way to intimate that the entire idea is B.S., in an attempt to pretend what the person said couldn't possibly be valid
Well, I hope that people don't think that's the case, and if they do, then I may have worded things poorly. Obviously, the entire concept isn't BS. I wouldn't call the entire sentiment behind a post a "semantic", nor would I hope to convey that my dislike of it is an attempt to suggest that it doesn't exist. Of course it does. But the suggestion the first place (and the following reiterations) is a bit too all-encompassing.... "anybody that doesn't agree with this is cheap".

Old 03-15-2016, 02:02 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Maybe it'll supplant "hypergamy."

One can hope, anyway.
I'm developing a drinking problem and you're not helping!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-15-2016, 02:03 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why do you get mad? Do you expect every date to work out? That's crazy! You must be a high schooler who thought they'd meet their one love for senior prom and live happily ever after! So on top of wasting all your precious time - darn if there were still mail-order brides with all your requirements listed that could be ticked off! - you wasted all your money too. Because unless she meets your FINAL objectives, there is absolutely no value in a pleasant date? And guys talk women down because they're only wanting to get their hooks in a man!

I can only imagine your absolute RAGE when you've dated a woman for 6 MONTHS and you find out she's not the one! Oh, but wait - you can tell in the first 60 seconds so that would never happen? You'll have kicked her to the curb BEFORE she can even order the coffee you don't want to pay for?

How many second or third dates do you go on? Do you ever get to 5 dates?
To me, if I'm looking for a girlfriend and have that as a SPECIFIC goal and a date doesn't work out, other than eliminating that person from consideration, I made no advancement towards that goal. That is frustrating to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships