Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2016, 04:56 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,096,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Agreed. Plenty of slim women have trouble dating, and hardly ever get attention that isn't from the dregs of society.
Maybe their problem is thinking of guys in the dating pool as "the dregs of society" to start with.

See, this alludes to something that always sort of perplexes me....women are allowed to have (impossible?) standards when dating, but we get told all the time that if men have standards they are chauvinists, jerks, or aspiring to something "out of their league." Huh?

If a guy is "from the dregs of society" because he doesn't meet every expectation you have (not saying that that is what you are insinuating, but plenty of women do actually believe it), then the problem is with you and it's no wonder that there aren't men pounding down your door to get at you. And none of the rest of us should realistically have sympathy to these types of women (men too, I suppose) who wonder "oh, woe is me! why am i so alone / always with jerks?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 05:01 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Maybe their problem is thinking of guys in the dating pool as "the dregs of society" to start with.

See, this alludes to something that always sort of perplexes me....women are allowed to have (impossible?) standards when dating, but we get told all the time that if men have standards they are chauvinists, jerks, or aspiring to something "out of their league." Huh?

If a guy is "from the dregs of society" because he doesn't meet every expectation you have (not saying that that is what you are insinuating, but plenty of women do actually believe it), then the problem is with you and it's no wonder that there aren't men pounding down your door to get at you. And none of the rest of us should realistically have sympathy to these types of women (men too, I suppose) who wonder "oh, woe is me! why am i so alone / always with jerks?"
Why are you assuming their standards are impossible? I think what VanillaChocolate was referring to, is women being approached by homeless and other derelict guys, not about having impossible standards, and other clichés.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:32 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,193,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why are you assuming their standards are impossible? I think what VanillaChocolate was referring to, is women being approached by homeless and other derelict guys, not about having impossible standards, and other clichés.
This. Just being PC and overly sensitive with an ax to grind. 95% of people on this planet will have standards when it comes to whom they chose, and want, to date. For some, looks is included in that because they can not have sex with someone they don't even enjoy looking at. Others couldn't care less about looks, and find other things more appealing or important.

But some people are like that. They just jump to extremes to create trouble.

If someone says they don't want a bum or slob that doesn't take care of themselves, that means they're looking for movie star hot.
If someone says they don't want someone that seems unintelligent, it means they're looking for geniuses with IQ of 200+.
If you want someone your height, at the very least, you want a giant man standing 6'4.
If you have a racial preference, you're automatically racist

Last edited by HappyRain; 04-23-2016 at 05:43 PM..

Old 04-23-2016, 05:59 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,811 times
If the OP can afford it (and I realize at 24 she may not be able to), she should consider cosmetic surgery, if she can find a really good and experienced doctor. That way, she can have an attractive face and not engage in degrading contests with other women for men or have sex when she doesn't want to or in ways that she isn't comfortable with to earn a relationship. OP, regardless of what some have said here, you do not want to be in a position where you're bartering sex for attention or affection. You'll end up hating yourself and the guy or guys who are paying for your body with their time and their willingness to be seen in public with you.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
If the OP can afford it (and I realize at 24 she may not be able to), she should consider cosmetic surgery, if she can find a really good and experienced doctor. That way, she can have an attractive face and not engage in degrading contests with other women for men or have sex when she doesn't want to or in ways that she isn't comfortable with to earn a relationship. OP, regardless of what some have said here, you do not want to be in a position where you're bartering sex for attention or affection. You'll end up hating yourself and the guy or guys who are paying for your body with their time and their willingness to be seen in public with you.
Who said degrading contests or having sex before she's ready are her only options? You didn't read the thread, did you? This is getting depressing; to believe some posters, the OP's only options are to throw sex at the guy she's interested in or otherwise engage in a degrading contest, or get plastic surgery.

Wow. Just wow.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:44 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,412,838 times
I have a big nose and am about a size 2-4 (depending on brand) and I still get approached from time to time. not always by men I'm interested in but still.

You just need to be feminine, inviting and friendly. Don't worry about competing. Thats a very unhealthy mindset. Compete with yourself.

And yes, men want a woman who is fun in bed, but thats irrelevant to the initial attention anyways.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:00 PM

OP has never returned to the thread. Never made any other posts anywhere on the forum. Just saying.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:28 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Architect View Post
Hello.

Let's say you have a choice between two girls, both the same age (let's say 24), and both the same size (both are a size 2).

One is significantly more beautiful in the face, and absolutely no one would call her ugly; her personality isn't terrible either, it's very down to earth, and she's sweet to you.

The other has a significant amount in common with you (such as you share a common hobby or two) and is well-traveled, well-read, etc. for her age. Her face isn't horrid, but definitely not beautiful. She's rather calm and kind also.

If these two girls were competing for the same guy (you), what would the "less attractive" one have to do to win you over? (For long-term love).

I find myself in this position a lot...as the unattractive one.

I'm not asking about a specific guy or whining, but rather, asking for tips and ideas that might help me "compete" with prettier women my same age.

I know that the usual advice is "work out, makeup, hair, dress nice", however, those things can only do so much when your unattractiveness lies in genetic factors, like having a huge nose.

Thanks in advance for your advice. I appreciate honesty above all; that's always more useful.
Can't be done. Sorry.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:16 AM

458 posts, read 329,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
No brainer: Id date both and figure out which one is better in bed.
Ha!!! This is the best one by far!! I wouldn't have thought of that. I would've typically said what Eve said.

Last edited by Hotbloodedwoman; 04-24-2016 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-24-2016, 06:18 AM

458 posts, read 329,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I have a big nose and am about a size 2-4 (depending on brand) and I still get approached from time to time. not always by men I'm interested in but still.

You just need to be feminine, inviting and friendly. Don't worry about competing. Thats a very unhealthy mindset. Compete with yourself.

And yes, men want a woman who is fun in bed, but thats irrelevant to the initial attention anyways.
Some men find big noses HOTT!! I'm sure you're beautiful!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships