Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2020, 06:00 PM

19,431 posts, read 15,259,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'll put you down for the head of the Chow appreciation committee.

On a serious note I appreciate the kind words. It's posters like yourselves that make forums a pleasant fun place to exchange ideas. I've learned a lot from posters here over the years. I'm in a leadership role to some degree at work and I've learned over the years to work hard and to listen to people. Hear, listen, stop talking and keep your ego in check.

You just might grow a bit.......
It's kind of amazing how much I've learned from these forums, including about myself, from, like you said, just listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 10:56 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'll put you down for the head of the Chow appreciation committee.

On a serious note I appreciate the kind words. It's posters like yourselves that make forums a pleasant fun place to exchange ideas. I've learned a lot from posters here over the years. I'm in a leadership role to some degree at work and I've learned over the years to work hard and to listen to people. Hear, listen, stop talking and keep your ego in check.

You just might grow a bit........
Yay! It's been a while since I have been the head of a committee

I agree with you. The posters here are the COOLEST. Plus, it is nice to have people to vent to, listen to, and chat with.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
It's kind of amazing how much I've learned from these forums, including about myself, from, like you said, just listening.
Yes! And the uplifting messages (you are one of the kindest people here SOG) are so amazing.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Yes! And the uplifting messages (you are one of the kindest people here SOG) are so amazing.
Thanks, and the same to you! I suppose we'll have to start some new committees.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:54 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Guess I confirmed a theory for myself. I started a thread in PoC: Elections asking people to share specific claims of election fraud and/or specific debunkings, but ONLY if they cite a source, and to refrain from ranting about what they think is going on.

Like let's see if we can find anything that might remotely be true?

No takers. I got ONE response, in days, with a person saying essentially "of course there are liars and cheaters and since they are liars and cheaters, the debunkings will just be lies from them and cannot be believed."

In other words, "Whatever my side has told me to believe is true because I said so, no citation or proof required."

I shoulda known better than to expect anyone to participate if I asked for rationality and fact based commenting. How dare I ask anyone to think critically.

I came across a thing today that man...I wanted to believe so bad...it was about a guy who spoke at the Landscaping snafu of a press conference thing... But when I investigated, I noticed that only a few original sources were out there and all were left leaning in general, and I did some more digging (research on the guy by name) and did not find info to substantiate the story. So I have made sure to say to others, both in places where it's likely to come up and on a friend's FB post, that I wouldn't stand behind this as true for sure.

My new drum to bang in all of my circles is that people really need to question things, especially if it upsets them or delights them, if it is something they want to believe and can't wait to share...take a minute, check it out.

I also have come to the conclusion that all of the big news networks (whether TV or papers) need to stop having comments sections on the news. Seems to me they're all magnets for trolls and bots, and don't serve any good purpose. Just report the damn news, you don't need to be starting a whole thread of inane "dialogue." That's what I think anyhow.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:17 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
You know, people like to denigrate liberal arts degrees for being worthless, but in this time of fake news and disinformation, the research skills I learned to evaluate primary source material are invaluable. When you ask people to cite a source and they post a blog, or it was something they saw on instagram, you have to wonder.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:43 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Thanks, and the same to you! I suppose we'll have to start some new committees.
You’re both just so sweet it’s sick. Keeps me in check.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:48 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You know, people like to denigrate liberal arts degrees for being worthless, but in this time of fake news and disinformation, the research skills I learned to evaluate primary source material are invaluable. When you ask people to cite a source and they post a blog, or it was something they saw on instagram, you have to wonder.
It’s helpful when your thoughts are based in reality or proven facts, too, or understand what “fact” means. I pasted the evaluation from snopes.com into a response when someone was parroting conspiracy theories, it didn’t matter! They just reply that snopes and media bias fact checking sites are “leftist”.

Hahahaha

So looking forward to... moving forward.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
It's easier for me to remain calm and "sweet" on this forum than in real life, trust me. I actually feel like I've "inherited" certain character traits that I'm constantly battling. So I try to keep myself in check. lol

Old 11-09-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I'm not always sweet, trust me. The salty can come out at times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships