Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2021, 04:36 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We're watching a series on Netflix called Dirty John. It's a two season series based on real crime stories centering around romantic relationships.

First season / storyline is set primarily here in So Cal area about a guy named John Meehan. Without going into too much specific detail he's a low rent con man pretending to be something else. He meets a woman named Debra and she's on the well to do side so you can guess where this goes.

The thing is is that it is based on a series of LA times article interviews with Debra and I don't know if she had any input or whatever in the Netflix series but man. They way they portrayed her and her two daughters makes them look like awful, I mean just awful. One of her daughters is a major major mean spirited spoiled brat and the other is a crybaby.

These "girls" aren't girls, they are grown women in their 20's living on momma shirttails. This woman is renting a high rise luxury condo on the water in Newport Beach area. People familiar with So Cal know what I'm talking about.

Debra owns a high end home design studio type business, dives a high end Maserati, dresses the part but when it comes to men she's as dumb as a doornail.

The whining and ineffectual mumbling this woman does throughout the series is just enough to make you want to reach through the screen.

My point is is that surely she didn't have a right in how her story was portrayed, I mean, LOL, I wouldn't have signed off on it if it were my story.
I read the series of articles concurrently with watching the Netflix dramatization. Yeah, I kept internally yelling at Debra through my laptop. As in, "why are you so stupid about this loser??? Sure, he was hot in his own way (*not* my type, but I can see his appeal), but all of the b.s. that he pulled from the get-go? Who puts up with that? Especially someone who's been married and divorced four times? Who shacks up with someone so quickly, let alone lets him drive her cars?

Some people have epically bad "pickers" (but with you being a regular here on CD, you're already well aware of that, lol...sigh), but the John/Debra thing was beyond the pale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 05:52 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
I listened to the Dirty John podcast that the LA Times put out. The whole story was bananas.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
We're watching a series on Netflix called Dirty John. It's a two season series based on real crime stories centering around romantic relationships.

First season / storyline is set primarily here in So Cal area about a guy named John Meehan. Without going into too much specific detail he's a low rent con man pretending to be something else. He meets a woman named Debra and she's on the well to do side so you can guess where this goes.

The thing is is that it is based on a series of LA times article interviews with Debra and I don't know if she had any input or whatever in the Netflix series but man. They way they portrayed her and her two daughters makes them look like awful, I mean just awful. One of her daughters is a major major mean spirited spoiled brat and the other is a crybaby.

These "girls" aren't girls, they are grown women in their 20's living on momma shirttails. This woman is renting a high rise luxury condo on the water in Newport Beach area. People familiar with So Cal know what I'm talking about.

Debra owns a high end home design studio type business, dives a high end Maserati, dresses the part but when it comes to men she's as dumb as a doornail.

The whining and ineffectual mumbling this woman does throughout the series is just enough to make you want to reach through the screen.

My point is is that surely she didn't have a right in how her story was portrayed, I mean, LOL, I wouldn't have signed off on it if it were my story.
I am putting this series on my to-do list. I have been watching real crime documentaries left and right this year and this one sounds juicy.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:45 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I read the series of articles concurrently with watching the Netflix dramatization. Yeah, I kept internally yelling at Debra through my laptop. As in, "why are you so stupid about this loser??? Sure, he was hot in his own way (*not* my type, but I can see his appeal), but all of the b.s. that he pulled from the get-go? Who puts up with that? Especially someone who's been married and divorced four times? Who shacks up with someone so quickly, let alone lets him drive her cars?

Some people have epically bad "pickers" (but with you being a regular here on CD, you're already well aware of that, lol...sigh), but the John/Debra thing was beyond the pale.
Reading it is one thing, I like reading and usually the books as they say are better, watching the way the actress played the part, wimpy, ineffectual, with both her daughters and the creep. Seeing her being such a push over was just maddening considering how successful she was in life overall.

I had a supervisor like that many years ago, smart man, made his way up pretty high in the company, but yet when it came to women was always picking losers and deadbeats. One story, LOL, I could go on in detail, but I won't bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I listened to the Dirty John podcast that the LA Times put out. The whole story was bananas.
I had no idea the LA times had a podcast. The LA times I've been hearing here for about 3 yrs or so is on the verge of going under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I am putting this series on my to-do list. I have been watching real crime documentaries left and right this year and this one sounds juicy.
It's not bad, at least the first season. Pretty good acting. At times felt it had a bit too much filler. They stretched out the story over 8 episodes when in reality probably could have been condensed down, but otherwise it's worth a watch, especially if you like crime stuff.

It's not a documentary, it's a retelling or recreation movie type deal. Just letting you know. Not sure if you're expecting a documentary style show.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:07 AM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Dirty John is a great series. I really liked it

Old 06-12-2021, 04:02 PM

Was on Fakebook earler and I started to wonder.....

When did we all get so old?

Old 06-12-2021, 04:11 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Quote:
Was on Fakebook earler and I started to wonder.....

When did we all get so old?
I look at my brothers and ask the same question. Two of the four bothers are gathered this weekend, for the first time in over two years.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:53 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post

To answer your question, I'd say a woman who is co-dependent and love addicted, stemming from a low sense of self worth/low self-esteem. It's amazing how much some women will tolerate just so they can "have" a man/belong in a relationship. It's laughable to everyone on the outside looking in, but to the woman who allows these types of men to walk all over them, it's no laughing matter.

I watched the first Dirty John series when it first came out, and I vaguely remember the actual story from the news. I too read the news article, after finishing the series. I also finished the new "Betty" series and for the life of me I don't get how the second series has anything to do with Dirty John.

The name Dirty John was literally what the guy was called by people who knew him, and to the best of my knowledge, there is no crossover between the two stories. I think this was a poor marketing decision by Netflix to couple the two series instead of leaving them each as stand-alone products.

Speaking of piloting, my 13 year old nephew has gone flying this afternoon here in LA, he's an avid aviator. That boy is nearly 6 feet tall, anyone know what the height window is for commercial airline pilots?

Old 06-12-2021, 06:11 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
To answer your question, I'd say a woman who is co-dependent and love addicted, stemming from a low sense of self worth/low self-esteem. It's amazing how much some women will tolerate just so they can "have" a man/belong in a relationship. It's laughable to everyone on the outside looking in, but to the woman who allows these types of men to walk all over them, it's no laughing matter.
The podcast talked a little bit about her family of origin, and there was some baggage there. Debra was also quite religious, so she did believe in submitting to her husband as the head of the household, yadda yadda (even though John was by no means the breadwinner.)

Old 06-13-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I look at my brothers and ask the same question. Two of the four bothers are gathered this weekend, for the first time in over two years.
Yep, we all get old, lose our looks, but it is what it is.

Getting old ain't for sissys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships