Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2022, 02:06 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times

Advertisements

One of the things I don't care for about social media is that people can say things that they probably wouldn't say in real life. I made a FB post on a friends post recently and someone that she knows, which I don't, started getting antagonistic toward me. I just politely told him that since I don't know him that I'm not going to engage him. FB is different in that way for me. I don't want to argue with a friend's "friend" as a way to be respectful to them.

Here is a different story, but even then I'll only post a reply or two anymore. Many people here don't want a polite dialog, they just wanna fight, especially in the POC forum. I've taken much more of an agree to disagree stance as most people's hearts and minds are generally made up on a subject, loosely speaking of course. I have over the years have bumped into a couple of posters that provided a solid argument about something and made me rethink my views, if someone can do that respectfully, it's a good thing.

It's how we grow.

What I say here is what I would say in person, generally speaking. The only difference here is that I tend to be more "talkative", in real life I don't generally talk quite as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 03:47 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
This post made me wonder if there was a sort of golden age period for CD.
I don't know if there was a "Golden Age" period for City Data. What I can say is that the local sub forum that drew me in is now a virtual cesspool with only a very few of my favorite former regulars continuing to post, albeit rather sporadically. Most of the regulars left City Data behind several years ago.

This and several other sub forums keep me on here as I enjoy the various people who I've "met." It's good to hear differing viewpoints; to occasionally seek advice, and to give it when it's requested. The only thing that I've found re: seeking advice is that many posters aren't detail-oriented when it comes to reading comprehension. That and they love to go for blood even on topics that aren't controversial in the least. The few times that I've asked for advice, have received/applied the necessary guidance, and people begin to become unnecessarily negative, I've asked for the mods to close the thread. There's little room for that sort of nonsense in my "real" life, so there's no need for me to deal with in my rather limited online life.

As for having my hand-slapped for far less than some of the other posters have written on the very same threads, while it *is* a bit unfair, it's preferable that we have mods who try to be on top of things here. Theirs isn't an easy job as it's nigh on to impossible to keep everyone happy, all of the time. Better to have mods (and relative anonymity! ) than to have the Wild West of Posts that NPR became once they moved their discussions to Facebook from their well-moderated Disqus forum.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:06 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
This is where I first learned about incels and they used to be far, far more plentiful and we had endless screeds trying to persuade us that there was a great Movement (I always thought, "Yeah, it's a movement alright. Can we flush it already?")
The last 24 hours have been brutal for me and I am about to conk out with my face in the pillow but GOODNESS that had me howling with laughter. My neighbors are probably wondering what is going on over here at 5:00 a.m. Thank you for being you. Truly, your posts never fail to make me think, smile, or both.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:59 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
The last 24 hours have been brutal for me and I am about to conk out with my face in the pillow but GOODNESS that had me howling with laughter. My neighbors are probably wondering what is going on over here at 5:00 a.m. Thank you for being you. Truly, your posts never fail to make me think, smile, or both.

Happy to contribute, especially if I can share a smile or a chance to think about stuff. And the day I get too mature or old or grown up to make a silly poop joke, just put me in the ground, there's no point in going on...

Or just shove me into a lake...

Sorry, the inside of my head has some slightly melodramatic expressive tendencies at the moment, we've been watching Downton Abbey. We still are unsure if this was a good idea, but husband and I agree that Maggie Smith makes it all worthwhile. We now have a running joke between us where any time even the slightest bad thing happens to any character at all, we shout at the screen, "THEY'LL BE DEAD BY THE END OF THE EPISODE!"

Old 01-22-2022, 12:32 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

Happy to contribute, especially if I can share a smile or a chance to think about stuff. And the day I get too mature or old or grown up to make a silly poop joke, just put me in the ground, there's no point in going on...

Or just shove me into a lake...

Sorry, the inside of my head has some slightly melodramatic expressive tendencies at the moment, we've been watching Downton Abbey. We still are unsure if this was a good idea, but husband and I agree that Maggie Smith makes it all worthwhile. We now have a running joke between us where any time even the slightest bad thing happens to any character at all, we shout at the screen, "THEY'LL BE DEAD BY THE END OF THE EPISODE!"
That was one of my pandemic binges. It was good, but I had to be in the mood to tolerate rich-people whining.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:42 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
That was one of my pandemic binges. It was good, but I had to be in the mood to tolerate rich-people whining.
Makes me wish we hadn't already watched that entire series before the pandemic. We also watched all of Poldark before the pandemic. We were relegated to watching things like Tiger King.

Perhaps it's going to be time again to rewatch Downton Abbey and/or Poldark.

So hard to find a good BBC series that we haven't already seen before.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:49 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Makes me wish we hadn't already watched that entire series before the pandemic. We also watched all of Poldark before the pandemic. We were relegated to watching things like Tiger King.

Perhaps it's going to be time again to rewatch Downton Abbey and/or Poldark.

So hard to find a good BBC series that we haven't already seen before.
Sherlock ended too soon.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:56 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
After Life by Ricky Gervais is great. That guy does comedy well and he knocks it out of the park when he does the heart felt touchy feely stuff.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:15 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
After Life by Ricky Gervais is great. That guy does comedy well and he knocks it out of the park when he does the heart felt touchy feely stuff.
Agree with you on this! It's an excellent show. Tough subject matter, but handled really well.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:20 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Agree with you on this! It's an excellent show. Tough subject matter, but handled really well.
It's too easy to burn through an entire season of After Life. I was so glad when the last season dropped recently. I forced myself to split the shows between two days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships