Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 08:32 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Most Americans sorta tie their ancestry back to Europe, as obviously most of the people that came here initially were from there. England being the largest group at first.

Australia and America share similar backgrounds in terms of how the English dealt with them/us. Australia was used to send off undesirables and so was America to a minor degree, but being a colony, it was expected to be English, until things went south for the brits, obviously, history being what it is and all.

My surname and my mother surname are pretty heavily Irish based, my mothers maiden name was O'Shea, it doesn't' get much more Irish than having an "O" in you name like that.

My dad's surname is Scottish/Irish, so I tend to lean that way in terms of how I view our immigration to this country.

In about another hundred years Americans might let go of our European backgrounds, but til then most American when asked about ancestry, will typically cite other places.....
Yes I've seen a few on here describing themselves as " Euro mutts " which is good they keep in touch with their heritage in my opinion

Yeah lol history being history and all and personally I'm glad we got our arses kicked in America back then as obviously we wouldn't have America and Americans as we know it today ( you won't hear me saying that again )

O'Shea yup I know a family of them and I'm actually based to a traditionally Irish based place or neighbourhood as you'd call it called Kilburn or county Kilburn as it's known as

With Scottish/Irish I'd guess that a Mc at the start of it. Me personally I'm fully English and London except for my grandparents that are north of England ( which i don't admit openly as there's a huge friendly rivalry between north and south )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 08:58 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Just popped in to hear all this talk about Thin Mints…OMG I love those. Walmart actually sells a generic that is pretty darned good.

Also if you really must you can make your own peppermint patties. I was on a roll for awhile and always had some in the freezer. I had to stop…too much of a good thing and all, lol. Anyway here is what I do:
Mike and Lisa's World: Peppermint Patties
The Walmart Great Value fudge covered peanut butter filled cookies are tasty, also.....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val....5-oz/11303914

Old 02-18-2017, 10:01 PM

140 posts, read 88,836 times
That moment when the woman standing next to you is wearing half her weight in perfume and you're supposed to see your girlfriend shortly 😔

Old 02-18-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady To Gronk View Post
That moment when the woman standing next to you is wearing half her weight in perfume and you're supposed to see your girlfriend shortly 😔
Why doesn't she trust you mate?

Old 02-18-2017, 10:08 PM

140 posts, read 88,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Why doesn't she trust you mate?

It's not a matter of not trusting. It's just if I'm going to see her, I'd like to not smell like another woman.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
It's not a matter of not trusting. It's just if I'm going to see her, I'd like to not smell like another woman.
Get some of your expensive/decent aftershave and counter it mate that will work

Old 02-18-2017, 10:14 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
HBO, STARZ, SHOWTIME are Free, this weekend.....

The Legend of Tarzan is on HBO. It's good...

Old 02-19-2017, 05:33 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Nice blog! And thanks for the recipe.

Thank you. I haven't added any posts in a very long time. Maybe I will get back to it.

We had so much snow in the mountains, some areas were turning people away, asking them not to come up to ski, etc. Too much trouble with cars, and they needed to save all of their food/supplies for the people who lived there.
The last few years we have been having very strange winters. The ski slopes all added zipling for summer business which is on my bucket list

Dork to me means klutzy or goofy. Not a bad thing in my book I have been called a dork by my granddaughter in the sweetest possible way

I would be one who could not tell the difference between an Englishman and and Australian. I'd have to have them side by side to understand the difference.

Ugh…that NY accent. Mike's family is so funny to listen to…not quite as bad as My Cousin Vinnie…but close. He still sounds NY but not too bad Somehow I ended up neutral. Most people cannot tell where I am from. Oh and the south can be very different. NC to TN is big. The slow drawl I can understand but when I first moved to NC well that was another planet, lol. They sounded like they had cotton in their mouth and their tongues just couldn't form the words. Maybe it was chew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
HBO, STARZ, SHOWTIME are Free, this weekend.....

The Legend of Tarzan is on HBO. It's good...
I saw that. I don't watch much TV but U saw The Bone Collector and since I read the book I may try to catch the movie.

Coffee time here. Gotta go chat with my honey

Old 02-19-2017, 07:39 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
It's another beautiful day in MI. The garage is going to get a good straightening out. I came across a table with caters that I can use for a work bench. So I'm excited about that. Yeah, I get excited over the weirdest, simplest, cheapest things. Ha!

Old 02-19-2017, 08:13 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Quote:
This reminds me of when I went to visit friends in Vegas. I was also there to meet someone I met through AOL. This was about 15 or so years ago. Before we went to meet him, we were dancing in a club. My friend's cousin was there and he positively reeked of cologne. I was thinking that I was going to show up to meet this guy smelling all of cologne. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships