Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2020, 09:45 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times

Advertisements

My sister teaches at an alternative high school, and her students are the ones who are really effected by food insecurity, lack of technology at home, lack of family support, etc. It's been really rough for her trying to take care of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 10:24 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Just watched a vid message from the CEO of the company basically telling people that there will be work furloughs, reduced hours, and some layoffs.

I hope I can weather the storm. I hate to see anyone lose their jobs, but not sure what you can do when everything grinds to a halt.

Guess time will tell. I could have not heard that news right now.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:27 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My sister teaches at an alternative high school, and her students are the ones who are really effected by food insecurity, lack of technology at home, lack of family support, etc. It's been really rough for her trying to take care of everything.
I was watching a Netflix documentary the other day called Teach Us All. It talked about the gap that mostly Black and Latino kids (I can vouch that a lot of white kids are in the same circumstance from my time in Kentucky) face in regards to K-12 education. The situation is like playing a tough opponent in chess on a crooked table. You’re giving a lot of attention to correcting the crooked table and you can’t give your full attention to the game which already puts you at a disadvantage. The shutdown is like knocking the entire game off the stump and the vulnerable populations (like at-risk kids) have to recreate the game and put it back together to play on a crooked stump again. Those kids have a very good chance of not being able to get the game back together I’m sorry to say.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:45 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Regarding kids trying to do the learning at home stuff... Not to mention that there are a lot of kids whose parents still have to go to work, and/or work from home. It used to really frustrate me as a Mom, that economic realities prevented me from being able to stay home with my sons, but I felt like numerous elements of my life expected me to "give 100%" and be my top priority at all times...and there is only one of me to go around. I was somehow supposed to be a dedicated employee with excellent punctuality and attendance, tend to all of my kids' needs including school activities, time off from school, early releases and late starts, days home sick or due to snow, appointments for medical, dental, vision and mental health...helping them with homework and school projects...AND doing 90% or more of the cooking and cleaning, and doing it well, managing the finances and planning all family things from vacations to cross country moves, do the yard work, keep my vehicle maintained, make real sure I devote time and passion to keeping my husband happy, which meant watching his shows with him, hours in conversations I did not want to deal with and sex (where his needs were all-important and mine didn't exist)...but also get plenty of sleep, also exercise, also make sure not to neglect other family and friends...but "take time for yourself" too (somehow?) because "you're no good to others if you don't take care of you!" I mean, realistically it was important to make sure my health & hygiene game was on point, had to stay pretty for the man, or I'm a failure of a wife (I was anyways.)

Like nobody was taking any excuses for any short changing of any of it, and I felt like I was just continuously failing at everything all at once, while killing myself trying to juggle it all. I was one person, supposed to somehow do the work of several.

And that is a me living in decent financial security (safe housing, enough food) and not addicted to any drugs or alcohol or anything... As rough as it seemed, it could have been worse.

Raising kids is hard. Being a teacher to kids is hard. LIFE is hard. And now, it's hard in all of these new ways, too.

I had been saying that I felt it was harder than ever with my sons being barely-adults, watching them make the mistakes they apparently have to make, to learn what they've got to learn, trying to nudge them toward independence without making them feel unloved or abandoned. Seems even harder than caring for them when they were smaller and their needs seemed if not simpler, at least more obvious. But I know this is nothing compared to the folks on lockdown with little ones. So I'm about done with the complaints I was making before.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:59 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Sharing this. The little foot stomp is good. Then he times his own ass out. I feel like him sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DPPq7338jk

Last edited by homina12; 04-21-2020 at 11:10 AM..

Old 04-22-2020, 04:44 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Woman: “You make me wet whenever you talk to me.”

Man: “do I arouse you?”

Woman: “no, you spit when you talk”

Day three of being back to work. Limited on what I can do. Can only watch so many training videos. That is in the literal sense and not the perverted sense of the term “training video.” The office can only be cleaned so much.

Coworker asked what I was doing with the hand sanitizer, after putting it on my paws for the eighth time today. “I’m getting my date drunk.”
^^^^^ He’ll be here all week folks !

Old 04-23-2020, 06:49 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
That’s why this place is a ghost town.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:28 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2oXzrnti4

Old 04-23-2020, 03:43 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
It feels shocking to me that on about February 20th of this year, my fiance and I went up to Boulder and socialized and stayed in a hotel and ate at restaurants and (most scandalous) went to a concert. In a college town. In a packed, mid-size venue where we were oh so much less than 6 feet from oh so many people. I had not yet even heard of the coronavirus, but seems odds are it was already among us then.

And just a few weeks later, my office was encouraging us to work from home and the toilet paper was all gone.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:27 AM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It feels shocking to me that on about February 20th of this year, my fiance and I went up to Boulder and socialized and stayed in a hotel and ate at restaurants and (most scandalous) went to a concert. In a college town. In a packed, mid-size venue where we were oh so much less than 6 feet from oh so many people. I had not yet even heard of the coronavirus, but seems odds are it was already among us then.

And just a few weeks later, my office was encouraging us to work from home and the toilet paper was all gone.
Right??? We went to 16th street mall and went to CF and bar hopping..

Too bad they closed the CF on Pearl Street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships