Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2021, 03:58 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times

Advertisements

Feeling a little homesick today. I’d pay 100.00 for a couple of street tacos or to buy an ear of corn from a street vendor. I miss surfing and riding my HD up and down PCH. I miss my friends and my family. I miss the beach and I miss hanging out with my twin brother ( and best friend).
Probably just feeling a little sorry for myself and feeling a bit overwhelmed with taking care of the boys and the farm practically all by myself while Andre is in Paris helping his ailing father. Thank goodness that the boys grandmother is back and helping me with the little ones. I know... first world problems! I am actually very lucky and appreciative of what I’ve been given, just a bit down in the dumps today. There was a bright spot.. I got to fly for a couple of hours this am.
End of rant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 10:26 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Sydney, I'm sure you've heard of the tragic amount of snow and ice that have buried much of the US. My (local) friend here in So Cal sent me this yesterday:

https://pics.me.me/got-about-a-foot-...e-46626823.png

Your description of street food - since you've left, they've relaxed rules on street vendors, so we now have multiple regular spots in town for elotes and frutas (with tajin) with the colorful umbrellas and everything. Beach is a 3-4 minute drive, but I haven't been in ages. We take stuff like that for granted when it's right under our butts.

What I wouldn't give for a trip to France right now, walking the boulevards and sitting in the patios of the patisseries and cafes. Sinking my teeth into the "forbidden" raw milk cheeses, tearing a piece of pain au chocolat, the fancy Parisian macarons scented with rose or lavender, looking at miles of countryside with rows and rows of grapevines or lavender bushes, having a nice farm raised piece of poultry (escalope de dinde, anyone?), with a gorgeous glass of French wine, ooh la la! I haven't had a medlar for over 20 years now, they don't have them in CA, and I'm never in Europe in winter, when they are nice and soft, ready to eat.

Grass always greener, right?

Old 02-21-2021, 01:18 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,712,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Feeling a little homesick today. I’d pay 100.00 for a couple of street tacos or to buy an ear of corn from a street vendor. I miss surfing and riding my HD up and down PCH. I miss my friends and my family. I miss the beach and I miss hanging out with my twin brother ( and best friend).
Probably just feeling a little sorry for myself and feeling a bit overwhelmed with taking care of the boys and the farm practically all by myself while Andre is in Paris helping his ailing father. Thank goodness that the boys grandmother is back and helping me with the little ones. I know... first world problems! I am actually very lucky and appreciative of what I’ve been given, just a bit down in the dumps today. There was a bright spot.. I got to fly for a couple of hours this am.
End of rant!
Sorry you are feeling homesick. If I could send you some street tacos, I would!

Old 02-21-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Sorry you are feeling homesick. If I could send you some street tacos, I would!
Thank you. One of my favorite spots for street tacos was near you. This guy parked his van in a vacant lot right
on the old 215 frontage road and Alessandro. I doubt that the vacant lot is even there anymore. The last time I was there they were throwing up a bunch of pre-fabbed industrial buildings.. all over that area. I wonder if I’d still recognize the place. I lived on Canyon Crest about a mile from UCR. If I remember correctly the only other things on that stretch of road were a seedy motel and an an adult video store... guys in raincoats sneaking in and out. Great place for a couple of college girls to hang out in the middle of the night! ( kidding about the raincoats).
I wish that you could “bring” me some street tacos and..... hang out with us for a while.
I was happy to see your post as I know that you have been going though a lot yourself.

Last edited by Sydney123; 02-21-2021 at 04:25 PM..

Old 02-21-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Sydney, I'm sure you've heard of the tragic amount of snow and ice that have buried much of the US. My (local) friend here in So Cal sent me this yesterday:

https://pics.me.me/got-about-a-foot-...e-46626823.png

Your description of street food - since you've left, they've relaxed rules on street vendors, so we now have multiple regular spots in town for elotes and frutas (with tajin) with the colorful umbrellas and everything. Beach is a 3-4 minute drive, but I haven't been in ages. We take stuff like that for granted when it's right under our butts.

What I wouldn't give for a trip to France right now, walking the boulevards and sitting in the patios of the patisseries and cafes. Sinking my teeth into the "forbidden" raw milk cheeses, tearing a piece of pain au chocolat, the fancy Parisian macarons scented with rose or lavender, looking at miles of countryside with rows and rows of grapevines or lavender bushes, having a nice farm raised piece of poultry (escalope de dinde, anyone?), with a gorgeous glass of French wine, ooh la la! I haven't had a medlar for over 20 years now, they don't have them in CA, and I'm never in Europe in winter, when they are nice and soft, ready to eat.

Grass always greener, right?
I don’t want to move “back” to the US... Just want to come home for a short visit. I would like to introduce our boys to our old nanny ( who started caring for my brother and I when we were their age). She lives with my parents as a member of the family now, and she’s getting up there in age.
Mespilus ( Medlar ) is good, you just have to be careful not to eat too many or they’ll have the same effect as eating a bunch of prunes or dried apricots. Lol
Winter here in Provence can be a little trying. We get a lot of rain and gloomy days, and it gets dark by about 4:30. I make raw milk cheese and sour cream. With the Covid the Minister of agriculture has actually relaxed the rules on “raw milk” There are new regs on selling it, but there’s no issue with our using our own raw milk for personal consumption.
You just can’t sell it without going through some red tape. ( we don’t want to sell it anyway.)
At present you probably wouldn’t even recognize Paris. With all the restrictions and curfews those quaint little sidewalk cafes are mostly empty. There are a lot of protests going on and property being destroyed. Ahhhh the wine! You can purchase a great bottle of wine for under 5 euros. A bottle of good wine, a fresh baguette and a wedge of Brie or raw milk cheese... priceless! For me the grass is definitely greener in France, but the US will always be my home country.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you. One of my favorite spots for street tacos was near you. This guy parked his van in a vacant lot right
on the old 215 frontage road and Alessandro. I doubt that the vacant lot is even there anymore. The last time I was there they were throwing up a bunch of pre-fabbed industrial buildings.. all over that area. I wonder if I’d still recognize the place. I lived on Canyon Crest about a mile from UCR. If I remember correctly the only other things on that stretch of road were a seedy motel and an an adult video store... guys in raincoats sneaking in and out. Great place for a couple of college girls to hang out in the middle of the night! ( kidding about the raincoats).
I wish that you could “bring” me some street tacos and..... hang out with us for a while.
I was happy to see your post as I know that you have been going though a lot yourself.
My dad was actually the owner and operator of said store.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
My dad was actually the owner and operator of said store.
That’s awesome! Lol We were going to check it out a couple of times, but chickened out. That is hilarious!
So.. you definitely know where I am talking about.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
That’s awesome! Lol We were going to check it out a couple of times, but chickened out. That is hilarious!
So.. you definitely know where I am talking about.
Oh yes! LOL.

Back when my dad opened the store, it was not technically LEGAL and not widely accepted by the more conservative populace. He was arrested and actually served time, and was harassed all of the time.

I know it makes him sounds like a huge pervert, but he wasn't. When it became more accepted and a bit mainstream, all sorts of folks came in and bought, including the officers that harassed him prior. They actually started watching over him and the store. The store supplied quite a variety of items, as you can imagine.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Oh yes! LOL.

Back when my dad opened the store, it was not technically LEGAL and not widely accepted by the more conservative populace. He was arrested and actually served time, and was harassed all of the time.

I know it makes him sounds like a huge pervert, but he wasn't. When it became more accepted and a bit mainstream, all sorts of folks came in and bought, including the officers that harassed him prior. They actually started watching over him and the store. The store supplied quite a variety of items, as you can imagine.
Sounds like your dad was a pioneer. It truly is a small world!
I wonder if your dad ever ate the street tacos? I might have stood right next to him while we were enjoying the local cuisine! Lol

Old 02-24-2021, 03:29 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Heard on the radio today some orthopedic surgeon talking about Tiger Woods and what all his injuries are going to require to heal and she was saying that based on the injuries and the amount of hardware that they are going to have to put into his legs and factor in his age, 45, I think it is, that golfing for him might just be a hobby.

She said time will tell, but who knows. I'm not a golf fan really or a follow the sport, but it seems like Tiger's life took a whole lot of wrong turns once his father passed. I don't know, not making any kind of judgements against the guy and I hope he pulls things together. I can only assume that he's thankful to be alive. Viewing the leftovers of his SUV from the accident and the amount of times that they think his car rolled over, it seems like he's most certainly lucky to be alive.

There's a thread in the POC forum where some person is complaining about the coverage it's getting. I'm just whatever, it's the 24 hr news cycle. They have to fill it with something, can only talk about COVID so long.

Do like I do, turn the channel if ya don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships