Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 06:27 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's the difference between 2 dates and 8 dates. Not interested in a relationship? Know by 2 dates. Just want to go out, have fun? Have 8 dates. You are getting all the info you need in 2 dates. And if you are still on the fence? There's your answer. Move on. This is for those who want an exclusive relationship. Some people don't.
Yeah but people that just want fun are usually forthcoming in saying that's all they want so the wanting kids talk would be void and wouldn't come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
You're not planning your future "together." Most people know whether they want kids. It's generally pretty clear, and asking upfront saves time and saves a LOT of hurt feelings later on, whether a person wants/does not want them.

People never want to discuss the important stuff upfront. It's why there are so many divorces.
Yeah but this is stuff you would sort out BEFORE you actually become exclusive and not wait until after?

It's not something you bang out on a first date because again you've just met them or know extremely little about them... I know the whole point of dating is getting to know one another but it's a touch heavy to start off with " I want/don't want kids " ..... Don't you think?

Old 09-19-2016, 06:35 PM

19,725 posts, read 20,264,355 times
Quote:
It's the difference between 2 dates and 8 dates. Not interested in a relationship? Know by 2 dates. Just want to go out, have fun? Have 8 dates. You are getting all the info you need in 2 dates. And if you are still on the fence? There's your answer. Move on. This is for those who want an exclusive relationship. Some people don't.
Yeah I just don't operate like that.. I'm in no rush. I can understand why some people are though.. if having kids is a dealbreaker.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:40 PM

39 posts, read 29,741 times
I think the subject came up around date 4-5 for my husband and I. And it wasn't a question asked or a "where do you see yourself in life?" The conversation went something like:

Me: *chatting about my niece, and my soon to be niece* She's a sweet girl, and I'm excited to see [new niece]. I like being an aunt. Don't really want any children of my own, though.

Him: I agree. Kids aren't something I'm interested in.

Me: Good to hear. Wanna go back to playing Stalker?

And that's it. I didn't really intend to bring it up that fast or that way, but it just came out. I found out we were on the same page, and all was good. :-)

I honestly would advocate bringing it up relatively soon if it's something important to you. I've had guys ask if I wanted kids before even meeting in person. One straight up said that when (not if, when) we started dating he demanded I go off birth control so he could get me pregnant as soon as possible, because it's his dream to be a father.

We didn't date.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:44 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,531 times
If you have a profile on an online dating site, that decision needs to be in your profile. Something that major needs to be known before you literally even meet someone. As far as discussing in person, that topic needs to be broached ASAP.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:23 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yeah but this is stuff you would sort out BEFORE you actually become exclusive and not wait until after?

It's not something you bang out on a first date because again you've just met them or know extremely little about them... I know the whole point of dating is getting to know one another but it's a touch heavy to start off with " I want/don't want kids " ..... Don't you think?
Again, I think this is age bracket dependent. If the woman in the couple is in her mid-thirties or later, the discussion is likely going to be pretty much immediate because there isn't much time. It's not about maybe changing minds later. She either knows she wants kids or she doesn't, and she doesn't want to waste time with people who want the opposite. I would not have a problem dating someone who already has kids, but I would not date a childfree man who wants to have children. Period. There's no point in even getting past date 1 at that point because it's simply not going to happen.

This might be different if we are talking about a couple who is dating in their late 20s or even early thirties. There is more time to discuss and get to know each other. Minds might even change a bit when someone is young enough. Once you've reached the point of no return, the discussion needs to be quick- date 1 or 2 at the absolute latest.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:09 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,832,433 times
All I know is, if I didn't enjoy the first date, there wasn't going to be a second date.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Again, I think this is age bracket dependent. If the woman in the couple is in her mid-thirties or later, the discussion is likely going to be pretty much immediate because there isn't much time. It's not about maybe changing minds later. She either knows she wants kids or she doesn't, and she doesn't want to waste time with people who want the opposite. I would not have a problem dating someone who already has kids, but I would not date a childfree man who wants to have children. Period. There's no point in even getting past date 1 at that point because it's simply not going to happen.

This might be different if we are talking about a couple who is dating in their late 20s or even early thirties. There is more time to discuss and get to know each other. Minds might even change a bit when someone is young enough. Once you've reached the point of no return, the discussion needs to be quick- date 1 or 2 at the absolute latest.
To be honest in most cases i don't think the age is what's key, if something is important enough or they feel strongly about such as not having kids or wont get married etc then naturally it would come up pretty quickly regardless of their age as again its hugely important and relevant to them.

For with yourself you clearly would feel the need to assert yourself in telling a bloke straight away ( which is fine and understandable ).

Yes I'm all for humour and light hearted conversation that you would normally associate with on a first date but on reflection yes I probably would entertain something that was important for her to clear up of course but I'm sure you could see the difference in having a nice bit of banter and talking seriously on heavy/controversial subjects on a first date?

I can understand your logic and over a few dates I'd establish a lot about her and should know if there's a future between us, but it's not for me on a very first date so again I'll agree with butterflyfish if I don't enjoy the first date ( in her getting too heavy and serious ) then there won't be a second one

Old 09-19-2016, 10:26 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,930,133 times
I don't think I've ever even asked, it's usually came up fairly soon into relationships though. Not the talk of us having kids necessarily, just us discussing things about children or hypotheticals like "When I have kids, I wouldn't want them to do this or that" or something.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I don't think I've ever even asked, it's usually came up fairly soon into relationships though. Not the talk of us having kids necessarily, just us discussing things about children or hypotheticals like "When I have kids, I wouldn't want them to do this or that" or something.
That's my experience exactly mate

That's what I was referring to when I said I'll know within the first few dates .... Basically using the time spent together and in chat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships