Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 05:30 AM

34 posts, read 22,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCurious View Post
Female lack of interest and participation in tech stuff does not mean they won't tolerate it in men. Even if they don't understand it. Where did you get this logic? Most females will bend over backward to please their mates. Objections arise out of concern for finances, space, lack of man's interest in kids, the man's mental health, if he's increasingly withdrawing from family, relationship etc.
Yeah, I have to disagree. Until I met my woman most of the women I dated beforehand would mock and get upset if I spent any time doing anything I usually do, unlike my fiance. Now granted, being 42 her being older could have some to do with her being more accepting, but as a 30 year old man I can say most women my age or younger would not be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 06:05 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
My last SO and I did everything together. We lifted weights, ran, rode bikes, paddled kayaks, went to libraries, tended gardens, went hiking and birdwatching, cooked and ate together, socialized and did the other obvious thing or two, together. No TV, but we were too busy entertaining each other, to need it. No caves needed to get away and hide.
Sounds awesome. Doing a community garden with the woman I was engaged to was a total joy.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Do you have any issue with a man or specifically a man you are in a relationship with having a "man cave". A room/garage where all his electronics and such are and where he goes when he wants some me time?

No problem here. We all have our own hobbies and things we like to do to relax. My husband and I share the house…well he is a disaster in the kitchen, lol. Outside the house we have multiple buildings and my garden. When I'm in my garden he is usually in the "solar" building working on a project.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:49 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCurious View Post
This man cage theory lies along those lines. Me, I never like to force men to do anything. If ever I happen to be in a situation where I sense a mate feels like that, it's the end. No hostility, just being practical. If a man doesn't feel welcome in his own home, something is very wrong, and he should end that relationship to focus on himself and his needs.
I'm with you on this.

For me, it's the idea that something needs to be "separate and apart" from the rest of the home that wouldn't work. If someone feels that they have a psychological need for this space, they just wouldn't be the right person for me.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:01 AM

560 posts, read 540,494 times
we don't have a man cave, but i would encourage hubby to go to his if we had one! our basement is unfinished which we plan on finishing it into useful space within 2-3 years time. It's gonna be the boys hangout space and hubbys manacle, perfect cuz by then my boys will be 7/8 and 5/6 years old to be downstairs in basement without supervision. I'll get my living room and kitchen back the way the rooms is meant to be!

Old 12-14-2016, 08:19 AM

1,080 posts, read 838,848 times
I strongly believe that people in committed relationships should have their own space from time to time. That being said, I find the term "man cave" to be obnoxiously juvenile. It reminds me of "He-Man Woman-Haters Club" or something, and I say that as a man-- I can only imagine how obnoxious it must sound to a woman. Feel free to have your own room, but don't give it a stupid corny name.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:23 AM

888 posts, read 555,987 times
Wow, can't believe some of these responses. Of course this shouldn't be a issue. Married people don't have to spend every minute together. My husband and I don't. We have our own hobbies, own friends, own things we like to do. Doesn't mean we aren't in love, don't enjoy each other's company etc. And yes, he does have a man cave. He doesn't call it that, but we have a room in the house where his video games are set up, his huge TV, things like that. Why on earth would this bother me I have no idea.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
Wow, can't believe some of these responses. Of course this isn't an issue for me. Married people don't have to spend every minute together. My husband and I don't. We have our own hobbies, own friends, own things we like to do. Doesn't mean we aren't in love, don't enjoy each other's company etc. And yes, he does have a man cave. He doesn't call it that, but we have a room in the house where his video games are set up, his huge TV, things like that. Why on earth would this bother me I have no idea.
There, fixed it for you.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:36 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
I can't imagine wanting to spend every moment with my SO and do everything together, but to each his/her own.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Your significant other may not brand it as a man-cave but if you were to be a fly on the way, you could learn that he appreciates getting away from people in general- you just happen to be there and so you are one of those. We are not robots- people have their own issues and need to retreat for their own sanity. It often is not personal, just a character trait. Many introverts need time alone to refresh from people in general. A man cave gives them opportunity in order to deal with their own inner anxieties.
You know my partner? Wow, small world.

Seriously though, yes, he is an introvert. He doesn't particularly like being around lots of people. He does, though, really like being around me, and does not need a space to "retreat to" in our home.

This hobby room of his was in existence long before I came into the picture. It has way more to do with practicality than it does with "getting away" from the rest of the house. Same with his workshop outside. These things are in their designated spaces, nothing more to be read into it.

I understand that people think differently on this, I'm just putting forth my views, as asked for in the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships