Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:15 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times

Advertisements

Ok, Stepdad. You have a low opinion of both your wife and her children. You're never going to turn loose of these irritations. Clearly, you're a hard ass.

You only have two options. Get over it or divorce her. Your wife may be right or wrong. It doesn't matter. These are her children. She feels they are more important than you are. In a way, they are, because you have made a huge ultimatum. You're a conditional father, based only on performance.

I doubt you'll change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 07:25 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
As a parent, nothing is worse than waiting on your daughters to get home at night. It doesn't matter how old they are, we still worry. If they can't respect our boundaries in exchange for free room and board, it's disrespectful.

That's the crux of the issue. They, and their mother, are disrespectful.
I also have 3 daughters and I also have a blended family. Honestly, I don't think it's disrespectful at all to not want to be home by 11pm. I would never expect that of my daughters- or any other grown adult. It's just not reasonable. As I said before, I highly doubt that the vast majority of 20 year olds would be able to keep such strict hours.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:31 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,698,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I also have 3 daughters and I also have a blended family. Honestly, I don't think it's disrespectful at all to not want to be home by 11pm. I would never expect that of my daughters- or any other grown adult. It's just not reasonable. As I said before, I highly doubt that the vast majority of 20 year olds would be able to keep such strict hours.
Disagree.

I know several parents who have children in their late teens/early twenties who set similar restrictions. The children may not like it, but they have the option to move out, which is really the point.

The objective is to get the children to grow up and begin their own lives. Otherwise, you risk having your children live with you into their late twenties and beyond. While that may be a growing trend, it's certainly not ideal or, I'm sure, what the parents would prefer.

Sometimes love is tough.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:38 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Ok, Stepdad. You have a low opinion of both your wife and her children. You're never going to turn loose of these irritations. Clearly, you're a hard ass.

You only have two options. Get over it or divorce her. Your wife may be right or wrong. It doesn't matter. These are her children. She feels they are more important than you are. In a way, they are, because you have made a huge ultimatum. You're a conditional father, based only on performance.

I doubt you'll change.

Uh oh OP...the Sisterhood is circling the wagons! Get out now while the going is good!

Old 06-06-2017, 07:47 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Perhaps not in this day and age, but I was brought up that when you live under someone else's roof for free, it is not up to you to decide what you want, what you will, and what you won't do. You do what is asked, or you go get your own place.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Disagree.

I know several parents who have children in their late teens/early twenties who set similar restrictions. The children may not like it, but they have the option to move out, which is really the point.

The objective is to get the children to grow up and begin their own lives. Otherwise, you risk having your children live with you into their late twenties and beyond. While that may be a growing trend, it's certainly not ideal or, I'm sure, what the parents would prefer.

Sometimes love is tough.

No offense, but I don't believe you. I don't believe you know several parents that set and enforce an 11pm curfew on grown adults.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:06 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
No offense, but I don't believe you. I don't believe you know several parents that set and enforce an 11pm curfew on grown adults.
And I don't believe that you don't know anyone that has adults living at home that don't expect them to come home at a decent hour as long as they are living under their roof.

How old are your girls?

Old 06-06-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Perhaps not in this day and age, but I was brought up that when you live under someone else's roof for free, it is not up to you to decide what you want, what you will, and what you won't do. You do what is asked, or you go get your own place.
How old are you? When I was in my late teens 25 years ago I knew no one that was required to keep those kind of strict hours.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:23 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,698,292 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if you don't believe me, but that's not my issue.

Adults are adults not when they reach 18, but when they take responsibility for their own lives. When I was in my late teens and was home from school over the summer, I had certain restrictions I had to adhere while there. Did I like it? No, but I was raised to respect my parents and did so when I was living under their care.

While I agree 11pm is a little early, that is the decision of the parents and not subject to outside approval. It may not be your choice, but as long as the parents were paying rent/food/utilities, it is up to the tenants/daughters to comply.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
And I don't believe that you don't know anyone that has adults living at home that don't expect them to come home at a decent hour as long as they are living under their roof.

How old are your girls?
A decent hour, sure. But 11pm every night? No way. That means no hanging out with friends, no working late, heck even my gym is open until that time and most people close it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships