Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:28 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
How old are you? When I was in my late teens 25 years ago I knew no one that was required to keep those kind of strict hours.
I'm 49.

We raised our kids the same way, and they are 32 and 28 now. As long as they lived under our roof, they had to be in at a certain time. If they didn't like it, they were free to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 08:31 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
I have two sons about to turn 21, and they would circumvent this rule by just "spending the night" at the home of the friend they're with.

At least as far as I knew

They haven't had an 11 pm curfew since junior year in high school. And yes, I know lots of people think it's different for girls and yes, my dad told me the exact same thing about nothing good happening after midnight. At least he didn't make it gender-specific.

Either way, it's funny that that is the point the OP chose to focus on this last time around. As usual, what you think is the problem is really just a symptom of the problem.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:16 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm 49.

We raised our kids the same way, and they are 32 and 28 now. As long as they lived under our roof, they had to be in at a certain time. If they didn't like it, they were free to leave.
Well when you were 20 you already had a 3 year old, so obviously you were home at a decent hour every night. I'm not judging but you have no practical experience into what I'm talking about.

As for your kids, did you require them to be home at 11pm every night when they were 18-22 years old?

Old 06-06-2017, 09:48 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Well when you were 20 you already had a 3 year old, so obviously you were home at a decent hour every night. I'm not judging but you have no practical experience into what I'm talking about.

As for your kids, did you require them to be home at 11pm every night when they were 18-22 years old?
Wrong again. I did not birth these kids. I helped raise my husband's kids from the age of 12 and 16.

And yes, while they were LIVING UNDER OUR ROOF FOR FREE, they had to be in by 11pm. One stayed til she was 26 because she was going to college at the time.

She was also the only one who broke curfew one time, and her father locked her out of the house. She stayed at her friend's house for a few days before she apologized and never did it again, because she learned that living away from home with not a lot of money was not any fun.

But you seem to like to argue with people here, so you go on ahead and think what you want. I'm done with you.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:50 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
If the kids don't like the rules of the house, they are free to move out and start their lives outside of it.

That's part of "being an adult"
IE: taking responsibility for yourself

The rules of the house do not only serve the children once they grow to the appropriate age and can think and begin fending for themselves.

This is something a lot of parents have issue coming to terms with after raising their children for so long and attending to their needs. It's as much a transitional period for the children as it is for the adults.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:27 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Perhaps not in this day and age, but I was brought up that when you live under someone else's roof for free, it is not up to you to decide what you want, what you will, and what you won't do. You do what is asked, or you go get your own place.
Up until I was 21, I had to be home before 10pm.

It used to be with (a NYC TV station) that at 10pm they would broadcast before their nightly news, "It's 10pm, do you know where your children are?"

Old 06-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Ok. So I really don't get this thing about imposing curfews on adults.

For those who say my house my rules, if you had extended family coming in for say, a wedding or a high school reunion, etc. would you impose a curfew on them? Would you say if you're staying here, it's 11 p.m. or you can stay at a hotel?

Old 06-06-2017, 12:34 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

For those who say my house my rules, if you had extended family coming in for say, a wedding or a high school reunion, etc. would you impose a curfew on them? Would you say if you're staying here, it's 11 p.m. or you can stay at a hotel?
am I responsible for my extended family and how they have decided to live, structure and run their lives?

If so, I was not aware I was.

If I had people staying with me, it's a special circumstance I would have no reason to be militant over enforcing my house rules on to them unless it interfered with the people in my homes daily business and lives negatively.

You're trying to correlate two completely separate circumstances together with this example.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:35 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
You know what they say, nothing good ever happens before midnight. I found that mostly to be true.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:51 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

As a guest in someone's house, I am going to do everything I can to abide by the "house rules", which includes giving proper consideration and respect. If I do not, then I shouldn't expect to be welcomed there again.

My family, whether extended or otherwise, always show proper consideration. There has never been a question of rules because no one has ever done anything to prompt such a discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships